Author Topic: Data Logging Questions  (Read 1206 times)

Offline jjudson

Data Logging Questions
« on: October 22, 2014, 03:20:13 PM »
I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless with the data logger plug connected to Cumulus software.  Today, we had a power outage for about two hours.  Both the Vantage Pro 2 console and the laptop I use for the software have batteries.  During the power outage, the wireless router went off line, but the laptop and the console stayed up and running.  When the power came back on, I noticed that the data displayed on my Weather Underground site showed nothing captured over that two hour period.  So my questions are:

1.  Did the data over this two hour period get captured?  It looks like it did in Cumulus.  Doesn't the data logger continue to collect data even if the software is offline?  If so, how long will it collect and store data for?

2.  On Weather Underground, does missing data upload after the fault is corrected?  It does not appear that it does.  Is there something that can be changed to make that happen?

Thanks ahead!
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KNCJEFFE2&freq=&units=english&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KNCJEFFE2&freq=&units=english&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Data Logging Questions
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
Yes, the data received by the console is stored in the logger for anywhere from a couple to many days/weeks (i.e. 10 minute interval = 17 days of storage).  When Cumulus is stopped then restarted the stored data will be downloaded by Cumulus and if you have the Catch Up ticked Cumulus will then send that to WU.  However, your missed data to WU is likely due to no FTP ability while the router was down, and since Cumulus was still running it does not know that its regular uploads were not successful.

You could roll back your data from a previous backup (Cumulus does an automatic backup every day, and hopefully you also have your own backup system).  With Cumulus stopped copy in the data from your latest good backup to your \Cumulus\Data\ folder and restart Cumulus and with the Catch Up ticked Cumulus will send all the Catch Up to WU.  Some Caution before doing this:  The data in your \data\ folder and therefore in your backups is only at the interval you have set and not the live data frequency that would normally come from the console.  And since you have send data to WU after the missing data period a Catch Up may then duplicate the data that had been send and received by WU.

Paul

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 04:20:32 PM »

1.  Did the data over this two hour period get captured?  It looks like it did in Cumulus.  Doesn't the data logger continue to collect data even if the software is offline?  If so, how long will it collect and store data for?

Yes.
Yes.
Depends on the archive article you set.  Given that information, you can see that answer in the documentation, and on the Davis website.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »
Consider a UPS for your router.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 03:43:38 AM »
I have written an Excel spreadsheet that will read your Cumulus data files and you can select a date/time range that you want to send to WU (and WoW if you use that).

The spreadsheet does use macros so you have to enable them to run it. Some people are nervous about doing that, but you can open the doc with macros disabled, look at the code and satisfy yourself that it does nothing malicious, then reopen with macros enabled. I'd recommend that you restore the setting to the default again afterwards.

Drop me a pm if you would like to try it. It works for me but nobody else has tested it yet.

Mark
Mark

anything