Author Topic: New Camera  (Read 1406 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
New Camera
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:02:29 PM »
There's a guy at work that's a great photographer.  I told him i wanted to get a camera that was a good beginner kit but was a good quality.  He suggested I get a Nikon D3200 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm and 55-200mm Lenses.  So I did.  It should be here Wednesday.

Anyone here with any experience/opinions on this camera?

I ordered a tripod, too, so maybe I can take some good pictures without shaking too much.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: New Camera
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 05:32:50 AM »
Looking forward to the views you get there! :-)

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
    • North York Moors weather
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 11:14:02 AM »
It will be very capable but must say the 'good' compact cameras are now so good I don't think I'd buy an SLR with my sensible head on.
I have a 5D and it's lovely but so big and heavy when all I do is whack a few pictures online.
My tiny Canon S100 shoots RAW, and decent video and the stills are great put through Lightroom.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 11:45:13 AM »
Only problem with the mini cams is lack of changeable lenses.  Otherwise I agree.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Johnmac

• Senior Contributor
    • Westminster Massachusetts Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 09:42:34 PM »
I have the Nikon D3200, you will be very happy with it. I upgraded the 55-200 lens to 18-300 lens and use it exclusively on the camera. Have fun with it.
John
Westminster, MA USA

Offline shimon

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 09:47:35 PM »
That's a very good 'starter' DSLR that could be used for many years as you gain more photographic skills.

But I will say this...the gear means very little.  It's ultimately 'photographic skills' that make beautiful images.  A good photographers can produce interesting and beautiful images with a disposable camera or cheap point and shoot.  And an amateur with expensive gear will produce 'high-quality' amateurish images.

Not trying to discourage you...just giving my opinion on photography.  Work on vision, composition, story-telling, lighting, and subject clarity (as well as learning to use your equipment in something other than 'Auto') to help you grow as a photographer.

Shoot the heck of your new camera...film is free.  And get tips and pointers and feedback from your photographer friend.

Offline shimon

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 09:58:28 PM »
It will be very capable but must say the 'good' compact cameras are now so good I don't think I'd buy an SLR with my sensible head on.
I have a 5D and it's lovely but so big and heavy when all I do is whack a few pictures online.
My tiny Canon S100 shoots RAW, and decent video and the stills are great put through Lightroom.

Nice images (I'd like to know more about that second image).  I have the S95 and it was always in my pocket until I picked up a Ricoh GR (28mm fixed lens with APS-C sensor).  Hardly use my D700 anymore.

And I tend to agree about the quality of modern, smaller cameras.  But sometimes it helps to start with a 'DSLR' and then move up to a high-quality compact.  Kind of counter intuitive.  But it can be harder to get good images out of small compacts unless you have a solid photographic background.  Inexperienced users will use small, professional compacts (like the Canon S100, Sony RX100, Ricoh GR and Nikon A) like a point and shoot unless they know how to really use and appreciate the camera.

You can get great 'weather' shots with a compact camera that has a large sensor if you put it on a small tripod.  You generally shoot weather with wider angles (20, 24, 28, 35 mm) and most compacts will cover some of that range.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:01:38 PM by shimon »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 11:19:14 PM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 03:28:34 AM »
I agree that it will be a nice camera for you, even if you just leave it on 'auto' until you get a grip on what everything does it will take good pictures.  I still have my trusty D50 which I sidelined in favor of a Canon 1100D a couple of years back, not because of any image quality but because of issues that only become evident with very long exposures like I was starting to use for astrophotography.  Heck I even have my 30 year old Nikon EM film camera in storage, should probably dig it out for the lenses if nothing else...

Nice images (I'd like to know more about that second image).
Well after a brief web search I can tell you that it was taken in the Pickering Market in Pickering which is in North Yorkshire in Great Britain.  I was able to match the scene to some other images on the 'net, apparently they close this particular street every Monday for a market day hence the large amount of pedestrian traffic.
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline shimon

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 10:27:44 AM »

Well after a brief web search I can tell you that it was taken in the Pickering Market in Pickering which is in North Yorkshire in Great Britain.  I was able to match the scene to some other images on the 'net, apparently they close this particular street every Monday for a market day hence the large amount of pedestrian traffic.

I was more curious as to why everyone is dressed in 1940's / WWII garb.  At first I thought this was an old photograph and then I saw the 'Panasonic' sign on one of the shops.  Interesting.

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 10:46:19 AM »

I was more curious as to why everyone is dressed in 1940's / WWII garb.  At first I thought this was an old photograph and then I saw the 'Panasonic' sign on one of the shops.  Interesting.

Maybe some kind of veterans group? Still plenty of newer clothing like the fluorescent yellow- green jacket that the one man is wearing.

Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042