Author Topic: Several VP2 stations onto one PC with one WeatherLink software  (Read 3654 times)

Offline marko-slo

Hello all,

I've been searching the forum to get an answer to my problem, but couldn't find it.

So, let me describe my problem. I have about 10 Davis VP2 stations separatedly installed on several locations, where there is one PC with WeatherLink for each VP2 installed, serial port communication. Now I was thinking to make a network with all these stations, so only one PC with display from all stations at once. I would also like to remove those PCs on the locations. I have an option to put each station onto fiber-optics cable, so I'd have a configuration like this: "VP2 console ---> RS232/LAN converter ---> fiberoptics cable ---> LAN/RS232 converter ---> WeatherLink". With only one VP2 installed, there in no problem, working perfectly. I just have one software before Weatherlink to simulate virtual COM ports, so WeatherLink can read from whatever I want. But as I have 10 of VP2 stations, the only option for now is to have 10 WeatherLink softwares open at the same time where WeatherLink No.1 reads the data from VP2 No.2, etc. I've seen that there in WeatherLink is possible to add several stations into one WeatherLink, but only one can be working at once. I need to get the file "downld02.txt" from each stations to be able to import data into my existing weather station system.

I was also thinking in more robust way, lets say like listening to a virtual COM port with a script program or something and then convert that signal into data. But didn't get any good answer at the end.

I am looking for some thoughs and ideas how to work on this problem, I'd really appreciate any help!

Thank you,
Marko

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
Re: Several VP2 stations onto one PC with one WeatherLink software
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 12:35:13 PM »
Are these wireless stations and where exactly are these 10 stations located at?

Offline jaded

• http://home.comcast.net/~jadeters/Weather.htm
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 12:44:11 AM »
the only option for now is to have 10 WeatherLink softwares open at the same time where WeatherLink No.1 reads the data from VP2 No.2, etc
That's actually the solution I'd recommend as the simplest, if you are going to stay with WeatherLink.  Each instance of WeatherLink doesn't take very much memory, and almost no CPU time, so you should be able to run 10 copies on an ordinary PC with no problems.  Of course, more RAM wouldn't hurt.  A bigger problem is that you'll need to get 10 serial ports onto the single machine -- you will likely need a few RS-232 to USB converters.  You'll need to put each copy of WeatherLink in its own folder so each running instance can have its own configuration, allowing each to generate its output in its own folder.  And you'll want to give each station a unique name, just so you can tell them apart in the Windows title bar.  At least WeatherLink does not depend on the registry, so you won't run into a "singleton" problem. 

What you will not get from this particular solution is a single output page coming from one "upload" to your web host; if you're trying to post them all to a single web site, each one will have to upload its data and images independently, and you'll need one master page to bring them all together.  It's certainly very doable, but it will take some additional effort.  Off-hand, I'd suggest one approach would be uploading each instance to an individual folder, with folder names based on your station names, and the parent folder containing the integrated page. A simpler, quicker approach would be to let the Weather Underground or some other third party host all your data.

There are other software packages out there, however, and you might want to take some time to research their capabilities.  VWS is popular.  Meteo is open source and free, but it might take some work.  I don't know if any of them work with multiple stations simultaneously, but it wouldn't hurt to look.

Offline marko-slo

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 05:28:03 PM »
Hello again,

thank for your answer, I appreciate it!

@MesquiteXmas: These stations are all wireless VP2 stations and they are located across the country.

@jaded: Actually, I think there won't be problems with getting serial ports. Because as I mentioned already in my previous message, I have a software which has for its input a fiber-optics cable (LAN connection) and this software can generate unlimited virtual COM/SERIAL ports. So then I can configure one WeatherLink to read from station 1 at com1, the second to read from station 2 at com2, etc. Now, as you said there shouldn't be many problems with having 10 WeatherLinks open, its great. I can add up to 2GB of RAM into this server, which should be enough.

By the way, would there be an option to try it with WeatherLinkIP software?

Thanks again for your time,
Marko

Offline jaded

• http://home.comcast.net/~jadeters/Weather.htm
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 01:39:13 AM »
would there be an option to try it with WeatherLinkIP software?
My understanding of WeatherLinkIP (I don't own one) is that it's a direct-to-Davis posting of your station's data.  This means that you can post your weather data to the web directly without a computer.  The flip side is that Davis now hosts your data, instead of your own web site or provider.

If your station-side hardware is able to accept an ethernet jack and provide a route to the Internet, (and it's not just a fiber-optic serial port extender) the WeatherLinkIP device should work in your environment.  That does not answer the question of "is that what you want it to do?" as only you can answer that for yourself.

Another possible solution, if you still considering hosting your own data is to use the Weather Envoys at the weather stations instead of the Vantage Pro 2 Console.  They're about $100 cheaper, but have no display -- they are made to only host a data logger and connect to a PC.  If your remote stations are unattended and you have no need for consoles at the remote sites, you could potentially save some money.

John

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 05:17:41 PM »
jaded,
I'm interested where you have the 10 stations located and if there's anyway to view the other stations data besides the one in Egan,MN.

Thanks,
Tim