Author Topic: Questions about the software??  (Read 3188 times)

Offline mackay

• Senior Contributor
  • Mackay, Australia. Davis Vantage Vue.
Questions about the software??
« on: February 01, 2012, 06:43:10 AM »
Hi to everyone, has been a while since I've posted but am in need of some help with regards to the WeatherLink software.

I'm thinking about purchasing this software in the near future and have some questions to pose to you all.

I only have Mac computers so I'll have to buy the Weatherlink for Mac software, is there any major difference between the windows version i've been reading about?

Can I use WeatherLink and the LightSoft Weather Center (i think that's what it's called) at the same time, to view my data, etc. as I was hoping to upload to WeatherUnderground but have found that the WeatherLink for Mac software doesn't support upload to WU so was wondering whether they can both run at the same time, WeatherLink for the main purpose of viewing and storing the data and LWC just for upload to WU.

When browsing records (like in this pic i found online: http://www.marineometeo.it/doc/tabulato-WLINK-perditasegnale.jpg) I see there is a column for "Hi Speed" which is obviously the maximum wind gust in the 5 minute interval used in this example, but under where it says "Wind Speed" is that the average wind speed during the 5 minute interval or just the raw wind recording at the time of the observation?

And what recording archiving schedule should i set the data logger to. I was thinking either 1 or 5 minutes. I'd probably go with 5 minutes, however that will depend on the answer to the "Wind Speed" question I posed earlier. If the "Wind Speed" mentioned is just a raw reading then I will set the data logger to 1 minute inverts and just average all the 1 minute gusts to give me an idea of the average wind speed over the 10 minute period. I am aware that the data logger can only hold about 2560 records so 42 hours with 1 minute intervals and 8 days with 5 minute intervals but I would be downloading the data daily anyway so 1 minute intervals wouldn't bother me to much.
Mackay, Australia.

MY AREA IN JULY:
- Chilly mornings (anything between 30 F and 45 F mostly)
- Pleasant days (anything between 60 F and 70 F mostly)
- Dry, low humidity
- Very little rainfall (usually not much more than 2 inches)

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
Re: Questions about the software??
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
You have to ask yourself what is the duration of a weather event that you want to capture and then set the archive interval accordingly.  For example, a five minute archive interval seems to be able to capture microbursts and dust devils.  I guess I'm not aware of any shorter duration phenomena that a weather station could capture.

In WL for Windows, wind speed is averaged over the archive interval.  The ISS is sending wind speeds every 2.5-3.0 seconds (depending on the TxID#), so roughly 20 to 24 readings per minute are received and averaged.  The peak gust is of course the highest gust during the interval.

The temperature reading, on the other hand, is usually the temperature at the end of the archive interval; however, you can optionally chose to average it over the interval.

I don't know how well the Mac version of WL matches the Windows version.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline mackay

• Senior Contributor
  • Mackay, Australia. Davis Vantage Vue.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 10:15:46 AM »
Thanks for your response  :-)

Another question, just wondering if anyone knows if it is still possible to upload your data in real time to the Weatherlink network (http://www.weatherlink.com/) without WeatherLink IP? Somehow just from your computers WeatherLink software to the WeatherLink network online.

WeatherLink IP is not available for Mac at all which is very disappointing as I would have purchased the IP version otherwise
Mackay, Australia.

MY AREA IN JULY:
- Chilly mornings (anything between 30 F and 45 F mostly)
- Pleasant days (anything between 60 F and 70 F mostly)
- Dry, low humidity
- Very little rainfall (usually not much more than 2 inches)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 10:20:34 AM »
Another question, just wondering if anyone knows if it is still possible to upload your data in real time to the Weatherlink network (http://www.weatherlink.com/) without WeatherLink IP? Somehow just from your computers WeatherLink software to the WeatherLink network online.

WL for Windows (not Mac AFAIK) should allow this once v6 is released (Spring 2012). There will be an annual subscription of eg $30pa.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 10:45:58 AM »

I only have Mac computers so I'll have to buy the Weatherlink for Mac software, is there any major difference between the windows version i've been reading about?

Yes, the Mac version is older, has fewer capabilities, and will probably never be improved.

Can I use WeatherLink and the LightSoft Weather Center (i think that's what it's called) at the same time, to view my data, etc.

I don't believe so.  

You might consider buying an old Windows computer from somebody (Craigslist, etc.).  A computer with Windows XP should be just fine (although it wouldn't run LightSoft).  My friend (who is a Mac person) did exactly that.

Then you could even have a WeatherLinkIP.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:47:44 AM by dalecoy »

Offline nickdeck

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 10:25:10 AM »
I'm in a similar situation, in fact my data logger and WL Mac should be arriving today.

I haven't read much that's good about the Mac software, but I'll give it a shot to see for myself. My guess is that I'll end up using LightSoft, or maybe Weather Snoop.

I do have a couple of Windows boxes here, but I'd rather not be firing them up just for weather use. We shall see...
Davis Vantage Vue

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:32 AM »
I only used WL to set my elevation on my Weather Envoy to correct the barometric pressure, and haven't launched it since. I use LWC for everything else.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook