Author Topic: Can you help identify this.  (Read 852 times)

Offline seatrump

Can you help identify this.
« on: September 24, 2015, 09:17:09 AM »
Hi all, new user.

I had a WS2080 reporting to Wunderground from Shanghai China for a few years. The digital module broke and I never replaced it.  Left the station on site in China when we left.

I moved half way around the world (Caribbean) and bought a house that had the weather station below installed.  There is an anemometer higher up the pole.  It's mounted in a good location and at the highest point on the island I'm on.  I thought it would be fun to start reporting again. 

Since the circuit board has been exposed to the weather, I'm guessing I should start over? Thoughts on this?  Was thinking of the Davis Vantage Vue but I'm scared off by negative reviews on Amazon - also - need to buy the software to report to Wunderground?  Any other suggestions.  Finally, I'd also like to mount a webcam since the views are so good.  Suggestions on which wireless webcam to buy.

Thanks
Ray

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Can you help identify this.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 09:33:35 AM »
Looks like the ISS to a Vantage Pro. I am assuming that is all that is left and there is no LCD console ? IMHO it would be good to start over. The Vue is a good budget station but I think you would be happier with a Vantage Pro 2. Durable and accurate. However, it depends on your budget as to what station to purchase.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: Can you help identify this.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 01:43:42 PM »
It is a VP1. White mounting plate, transmitter under radiation shield. I agree with Garth. Separate components are definitely the way to go. Also having the ISS within reach.

Regarding reviews, currently the Vue has a 4.5 star rating at 477 reviews. I have to ask, are you carefully reading all reviews or just the negative reviews?
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.