Author Topic: Rain Collector Clogging  (Read 3652 times)

Offline Paxsman

Rain Collector Clogging
« on: July 18, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »
I have owned a VP1 for a long time.  I have had issues with the collector clogging from time to time...not really a big deal.  About a year ago I upgraded to a VP2 and have had the rain collector clogged two to three times in less than a year.  I have the new VP2 located in the same spot.  I am wondering if any of you are experiencing the same problem or not.  I am also wondering if the new low profile collector would help with respect to clogging.  The new collector looks like it has less surface area to collect dirt. 
I don't think I will do this but would drilling out the hole help/hurt or not matter.  It just seems like the new VP2 collector has a very small hole which is contributing to the problem.  I wish I had the old one (VP1)...I would measure it to find out if the hole is smaller or have conditions around my house changed....Trees do grow taller!

Thanks for your time!
Davis Vantage Pro 2

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Rain Collector Clogging
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 04:53:53 PM »
It would not be due to changing from VP1 to VP2 but certainly changing local environmental conditions would be a factor. The Davis rain collector has always had problems with clogging and the new aero design has a better large particle trap and spikes work mostly to keep the bird poop out but the dirt/blossom issue and right amount of moisture will/can still clog things up.

I wouldn't be drilling the hole bigger as it might change the whole dynamics of cone to tipper.     

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 05:26:42 PM »
Do you still have the original debris screen, or have you considered to replace it with kitchen sink screen as many have done?  It is not perfect but does help, unless yours is mounted up high and difficult to get to.

Paul

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 06:09:18 PM »
What I would like see included in the Davis rain collector is a threaded/screw in insert in the bottom of the cone to allow an optional screened riser to be screwed in if required. None of the debris screen designs have ever stopped dirt/blossom type build up. Might add a slight cost to the basic cone, the screen riser (whatever the cost) would pay for itself in no time in dirty seasonal environments.     

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 07:23:35 PM »
What I would like see included in the Davis rain collector is a threaded/screw in insert in the bottom of the cone to allow an optional screened riser to be screwed in if required. None of the debris screen designs have ever stopped dirt/blossom type build up. Might add a slight cost to the basic cone, the screen riser (whatever the cost) would pay for itself in no time in dirty seasonal environments.   

I'm sure you have a good mental picture of what you are suggestion -- but it's not clear to me.  What is a "treaded/screw in insert", where would it be, and what is a "screened riser"?  And how would it not interfere with the smooth flow of water through the opening to the tipping buckets (which is rather important).

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:28:49 PM »
All good rain gauges have something similar like this, does the following sketch make it clearer? Typically the screen/guaze riser stops fine particles which may in time clog the screen from the bottom up but still allows water to enter the tipper. These can prevent a small amount of water (depending on the design) from getting through but is way better then a 100% clog up which is what can occur with the current Davis design.   
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:04:16 PM by Mattk »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 09:55:23 PM »
Thanks.  That helps.

Offline CSB

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 10:02:49 PM »

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 11:47:53 PM »
This has worked for a number of us.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-2-3-4-in-Mesh-Tub-Strainer-in-Stainless-Steel-88821/100391403
,  I have had one of these in the bottom of my rain cone since 2009.   I even have it in the new Davis aerocone.   I get all the water into the counter and it keeps crap out of my funnel opening.

The hole in the bottom of the funnel shouldn't be bore wider, it is calibrated so as the water goes in, it goes in just so fast that all tips the pan.  Don't mess with that. Get a strainer as mentioned here, if not at Homedepot, most hardware stores have them.  Or if in a pinch, get some aluminum window screen wire and fashion a cone that way.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 01:46:58 AM »
I have 2 of these on the way from China, breath not held mind but worth a try and have a nice rise to them

Kind regards
Bashy

Offline CSB

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 08:28:58 AM »
I just thought to myself, why go to China when you can get them at your local hardware store? Thats when I noticed where you reside. Looks like what a number of us have been using in the past. 

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 08:51:52 AM »
Yeah lol, cant argue for a £1 that includes shipping :D i can wait 20 days :)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 09:29:36 AM »
A  SUGGESTION
if you still has problems with debris you might want to mate then with silicon or something so they are face to face. That way he would have a nipple down in the cone and one up

this is from Chann (He also has a nifty rain cone cover for when it snows or a huge dust storm or whatever)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 11:20:24 PM »

Raining heavily but not really registering, expect to find blossom clog in rain collector (Davis AeroCone with so called debris screen), nope but pick out a fine splinter needle that was stopping the rocking.

Until Davis build in a real debris sieve riser that stops this then rainfall amounts are suspect.   

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 07:32:56 AM »
Ever since placing the sink strainer screen in my VP2 I've never had a malfunction related to debris in the rain cone. Even when there's a ton of bird poop and leaves, there's still some part that's open and it keeps on chugging. Another plus is that the wind has never blown the sink strainer out like it does the little plastic piece Davis gives you.

anything