Author Topic: ATOM Warnings Acting Strange  (Read 817 times)

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
ATOM Warnings Acting Strange
« on: March 24, 2018, 12:46:41 PM »
Good afternoon everyone!
My hosting company goofed and billed a defunct card for my payment and thus decided to terminate my service.
After talking awhile with the local sand dune I managed to get them to bill the card I told them to change to a month ago  ](*,)
My service is restored but my warnings are acting goofy. I had to get them to  allow_url_fopen again so a few other scripts would run. But I don't see anything on my end preventing these warnings from operating. It shows to be updating as the scheduler demands but it only shows the zone number and no county ID but it appears to have current warning data BUT you have to know what to look for.    http://www.smythweather.net
Long story shortened..anybody else having any problems with your ATOM Warnings??

Thanks in advance all !

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: ATOM Warnings Acting Strange
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 01:10:21 PM »
It's really hard to tell what the underlying cause may be, but I suspect it may be to downlevel script(s), but you and I can't check as your check-fetch-times.php is at Version 1.02 - 19-Sep-2008 which is really old.  I suggest you download a current version from here then run check-fetch-times.php?show=versions to check the core scripts for 'current'.

I do know that the NWS recently changed to force https access to *.weather.gov in late February, and that caused a bunch of scripts to need updating.  The current nws-alerts, atom-advisory and atom-top-warning scripts all used https for alerts.weather.gov access.. you may have old copies which were not https capable.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 01:39:52 PM »
Hi Ken,
I installed the script you provided but unfortunately it won't run. I believe the problem to be that it is setup for template use where as my page uses different template pages and the check fetch times script is looking for settings.php which it can't find.

This probably doesn't help much but I can add that the Special Weather Statement for my zone (VAZ009) is showing the same text as the one that just came across NWS Weather Wire a short while ago.

If there is anything I can do to allow the fetch times script to operate please let me know and I'll give it a try,or anything else I can provide to help diagnose the situation.  Sorry I can't be of better assistance!  This may be related to the site being disabled due to their ignorance in billing but I can't prove it LOL!   It did work correctly last evening when I looked at them.

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 01:53:06 PM »
I don't think the check-fetch-times.php script on your site is the updated copy -- check-fetch-times.php?show=info still shows the old version (which doesn't have version checking).  Yes, the script relies on having Settings.php and Settings-weather.php from the V3 templates in order to work correctly.  Do the upload of the updated script to your document root again.
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 02:07:43 PM »
Ken,
it was operator error  :lol:  I uploaded to the AtomAlerts directory instead of root. Not thinking today I guess.

Works now  http://www.smythweather.net/check-fetch-times.php?show=versions

Whatever the problem it must be downstream from me. Some of the county names are starting to reappear.
I changed the webcache to 15 minutes in a bright idea that might be affecting the output..maybe it was LOL!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 02:22:14 PM by W Thomas »

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 03:22:06 PM »
Curly's AtomAlerts script set was discontinued back in 2012 and the nws-alerts script set replaced it.

You can download a copy of nws-alerts script set from here .. that version I am keeping up to date.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 04:10:26 PM »
Thanks for the script download Ken.. And Thank You for keeping this one up to date!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 02:55:11 PM »
I am working on the updated ATOM files that Curly provided and Ken has graciously kept up to date.
I have a couple of questions.. First one being getting the wx....pages that are meant for the template sets to work properly in my situation since my template architecture is different. Secondly getting the map to display which may work fine when I get the pages edited to work for me.

If anyone has been through this and has any suggestions I would love to hear em :)

Thanks

Wt

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 03:16:34 PM »
Just a note.. not all the alerts include GeoData that results in a map..  Also, you'll need a Google JavaScript Map API key to make any that have GeoData display.  Use the included setup readme file in the nws-alerts-142.zip as guidance for how to set it up in non-Saratoga template pages.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 03:22:42 PM »
So the Google API key I have and use on other scripts such as the Global Station Map is not the same as I need to complete this?

I didn't stay up to date on all the Google Map changes as they evolved so now I'm playing catch up

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 03:28:30 PM »
As Ken said, not all (in my experience, few) alerts have the polygon data for the map. If you want to see what sort of alerts have them go to alerts.weather.gov, scroll down, and select the "National" (first) link in the list. If you see a Flood Warning, those always (in my experience) have a polygon. Select it, and then on the page that displays the warning, do a View Source for that page. Scroll down and you should eventually see something like this:

Code: [Select]
<polygon>33,-92.1 33.11,-92.17 33.18,-92.12 33.07,-92.11 33,-92.05 33,-92.1</polygon>
If an alert does not have a polygon, there are no numbers between the <> , </>.

For testing purposes, you can add the county or zone code of one of these active alerts to your settings file. Look a little further down in the View Source page for "UGC" and use one of those codes.

If that isn't making sense, let me know. I was neck deep in this for a while.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 03:36:51 PM »
Makes good sense :lol:
Know what you about knee deep into it!  Just trying to get things a little more redundant before severe season gets here. Probably be very busy around that time so now sort of makes sense LOL!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217