Author Topic: GPS  (Read 21595 times)

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
Re: GPS
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 01:34:01 PM »
Well it seems my intermittent conection with the BU-353 GPS receiver has been fixed by using an active USB cable....
 =D>  =D>  =D>
Jim

I see supplied cable is about 4 feet long? I wonder if you can add an extension as my WX PC is in the basement and the GPS would likely not lock in.
Bill

Offline Mikla

• Boca Falls Weather
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2009, 12:31:46 PM »
It is dependent on how compliant the computers USB port is, but I have added up to 15' using a USB Extender Cable and had no problems.
I see supplied cable is about 4 feet long? I wonder if you can add an extension as my WX PC is in the basement and the GPS would likely not lock in.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2009, 09:38:24 PM »
It is dependent on how compliant the computers USB port is, but I have added up to 15' using a USB Extender Cable and had no problems.

Thanks for that info Mikla. :-)
Bill

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 12:26:25 PM »
I got mine, still havent gotten it working right.

Installed the driver, plugged it in, made sure the com port was set right,
saw 10 satellites and saw my GPS coordinates.

Did some software updating and have not been able to get it to connect since.
Uninstalled, reinstalled, etc etc.

In device mgr, it sets the com port (10) but going into GPS Info,
just cant get it to connect. The GPS itself red light flashes meaning it has a signal.

:sad:
Tony

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »
I got mine, still havent gotten it working right.

Installed the driver, plugged it in, made sure the com port was set right,
saw 10 satellites and saw my GPS coordinates.

Did some software updating and have not been able to get it to connect since.
Uninstalled, reinstalled, etc etc.

In device mgr, it sets the com port (10) but going into GPS Info,
just cant get it to connect. The GPS itself red light flashes meaning it has a signal.

:sad:

So what software did you update so the rest of us know what not to update... That would be helpfull info.
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 04:01:31 PM »
Dont remember off the top of my head but a Windows Update.
Tony

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 06:29:12 PM »
Dont remember off the top of my head but a Windows Update.

Well that is to bad hard to find a reason why a security update would mess with a usb port. I installed my gps back in July and this computer has done all of Microsoft update automatically since the begging of time and never had a problem with them messing with anything that I've added on. Course this is and old dinosaur of a computer that I'm using for the weather stuff.
 Hope you get her going GPS that is.
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 12:05:09 PM »
Still a no go. Windows device mrg. see's the thing on Com 11, baud rate of 4800, but
GPSinfo comes back Com Port Error  :-(
Tony

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 07:43:29 PM »
Still a no go. Windows device mrg. see's the thing on Com 11, baud rate of 4800, but

Mine is running on com 4 can you change it in the device manager I just looked in the strikeLink utility and mine doesn't show a com 11 listed.
Follow me on twitter

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 10:37:09 PM »

ALL application programs have some limit on the maximum number of the Com port that they will handle.  If GPSinfo can't handle Com 11, that's an expected result.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 09:04:29 AM »
Tried Com 2 (Com 1 3-9 used) same thing.
Tony

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 11:39:22 AM »
Tried Com 2 (Com 1 3-9 used) same thing.

One more diagnostic:

In the device manager, uninstall (or delete or whatever your terminology is) the port (2) and device.  Shut down the computer, and unplug the device.  [In other words, from a hardware viewpoint, start over].  Boot up the computer, and plug in the device. 

Note carefully what happens.  The question being answered here is whether the OS recognizes the make and model of the device (and asks for the driver, etc.).

That requires communication with the device (not just recognizing that a device is plugged in). 

After that, if it's still undiagnosed, the reasonable thing would be to communicate with the manufacturer and/or try it with another computer (get a friend to help)?

Offline vcbmoore

• Saddlebrooke Ranch South Weather
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I would post my recent experience here.

Last Friday the GlobalSat BU-353 Antenna arrived.  The installation was very easy.  I located the antenna on the threshold of the french doors in the study.  The antenna is attached with Velcro.  The study faces almost due south.  But the doors are on a covered patio with a 10' wide and 12' high ceiling.  I was dubious about the reception and the length of USB cable (16' total).

I could never get GPSinfo to work.  It kept giving me a com port error.  I gave up and went straight into StrikStar.  After configuring the com port it fired right up.  The antenna sees 8 satellites. It's neat, clean and protected from the weather.

Davis Vantage Pro2 w/FARS, Solar & UV, VWS 14.01p25, Boltek Lightning, Nexstorm, StormVue NGX, StrikeStar, Panasonic BL-C230 Webcam

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2010, 12:11:54 PM »
Thanks for the info.  And keeping it in the same thread is great, as far as I'm concerned.

People supplying information to help other people is what this forum is about.

[I noticed that 8 months ago I tried to help CNYWeather, and never heard back.  Oh, well.]

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 04:54:09 PM »
Thanks for the info. Just ordered my GPS today. :-)
Bill

Offline vcbmoore

• Saddlebrooke Ranch South Weather
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2010, 09:13:40 AM »
Dale - I appreciate all the help I can get.  In the case of the antenna, you pointed me in the right direction.  Thank you!
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/FARS, Solar & UV, VWS 14.01p25, Boltek Lightning, Nexstorm, StormVue NGX, StrikeStar, Panasonic BL-C230 Webcam

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2010, 11:57:02 AM »
Well it seems my intermittent conection with the BU-353 GPS receiver has been fixed by using an active USB cable....

=D&gt;  =D&gt;  =D&gt;

Jim

Jim, did you have any trouble with either gpsinfo or strikestar recognizing the com port with the active usb cable? I can get the gps comport recognized with the gps plugged in and with a normal non-active usb extension plugged in but not with the active usb. I have to have an extension as my weather pc is in the basement.
Bill
Bill

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2010, 02:43:20 PM »
Finally got the GPS working with my active USB extension cable.  :-) I had to uninstall and then reinstall the supplied drivers. :???:
Bill