Author Topic: Boltek woes :(  (Read 6259 times)

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Current weather conditions in North Phoenix, Ariz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
    • Pepper Ridge North Valley  Weather and Lightning
Boltek woes :(
« on: June 08, 2010, 08:07:09 PM »
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has had issues with intermittent functionally with their boltek units. My system is 5 years old and had been working fine untill last December, when it stop working after I had clean out the computer with one of those compressed air canisters and accidentally got alittle condensation on the card. After this the problems began to happen but being that it was out of warrenty and winter I decided to wait to replace anything.

Finally I broke down and order a replacement card through Ambient and it arrived last Friday I installed it check all the conections and cat 5 cable for defects found none and the same issue still exists no strikes or noises then intermittent functionally again and then dead  #-o ](*,) it only worked for 12 hours since I installed it Friday.  I just found out tech support is out at Ambient till Monday so I frustrated that the new card isn't working properly  :mad: could it be the antenna?

Any suggestions, thanks

Jeanette.

NOTE: I should not that I had to replace the card once before under warrenty and Boltek replaced it for free expect for the shipping charges to send them the card but that process took over 4 weeks so I hoping to resolve this quicker this time.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:09:17 PM by AZmonsooncats »
"Some dreams are in the night time, And some seem like yesterday
But leaves turn brown and fade, Ships sail away
You long to say a thousand words…but Seasons Change."

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Boltek woes :(
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 08:12:22 PM »
Are you still using the same computer? 

Is the new Boltek card plugged into the same socket as the previous one?  If so, try changing where it's plugged in.  See if that changes anything.

It is possible that you are seeing an antenna (or cable) problem, but that's less likely.

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:30:18 PM »

Yes and No I am using the same computer as when this latest problem occured but is not the same computer as when I had the original problem under warranty.

Is the new Boltek card plugged into the same socket as the previous one?  If so, try changing where it's plugged in.  See if that changes anything.

It is possible that you are seeing an antenna (or cable) problem, but that's less likely.

Yes it is plug into the same slot, I only have two pci slots and the other is in use with a serial port card for the Davis station. I may try switching them to see if it changes anything but will that require changing all the driver settings?

Jeanette

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:38:24 PM »

Yes and No I am using the same computer as when this latest problem occured but is not the same computer as when I had the original problem under warranty.

Yes it is plug into the same slot, I only have two pci slots and the other is in use with a serial port card for the Davis station. I may try switching them to see if it changes anything but will that require changing all the driver settings?

Jeanette

It shouldn't; most OSes find hardware by enumeration of the vendor ids sent by them.

That's not to say it won't though...  :shock:
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 08:54:30 PM »
Thanks I may still try that. If you think it might help

One thing I forgot to mention is the package from Boltek arrived with a dent in the box and the card was in another small box and packed inside a protective anti static bag but this box was only loosely package in the larger box so it was lose within the larger box so it seem to have a little rough shipping could not see any damage to the smaller box but I wish it would been packed better. I don't know if all that movement might hurt the new card

Jeanette

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 10:09:40 PM »
Friday I installed it check all the conections and cat 5 cable for defects found none and the same issue still exists no strikes or noises then intermittent functionally again and then dead

How did you check the cable for defects?  How is your antenna mounted?  Have you checked the connection at the antenna?

Can you (for instance) bring the antenna near the computer, use a different cable, and do the usual test to verify that it's working?  [Any standard Ethernet cable will work]

What do you mean by dead?  How do you test it?

Without knowing how you checked the cable for defects, I'm reluctant to guess any further.  
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:18:01 PM by dalecoy »

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 06:57:21 AM »
As dalecoy said, I would bring the antenna to the pc room.  Use a 6 to 10 foot cat5 patch cord to rule out the cable run to normal location.  It will also mean you can fiddle with connection at antenna while testing.

What are the symptoms. "No strikes or noises, then dead".  How do you tell the difference?

I guess the antenna could be dead.  I have no idea what "working" type stuff is inside, I know it gets hot to the touch while in operation.  How much was the replacement card if you dont mind?   Hopefully Ed will send you a replacement antenna, and if the old card works with new antenna he would let you ship that back....  And while you are in test mode, anyway you can grab and "extra" pc from someone else just in case.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 09:06:50 PM »
UPDATE: After talking to ED and Boltek it appears this maybe a antenna issue after all :sad: :mad: The card briefly worked today then quit again detecting strikes. What I meant is it can go days without detecting a strike or noise then it works temporary for a few hours and quits again.

As it was suggested I brang the antenna in and hooked it up to a short piece of cat 5 cable and tried a hair dryer, a fan and switches and could not detect any noises or strikes. The points in the antenna don't look excessive bad but have a slight tan or rust color and there is plenty of grease present but after 5 years it looks like I may need a new antenna  ](*,) It does detect a noise if you plug and unplug the cable from the back of the card

BTW the setup of the antenna is in a pvc enclosure on the roof

Jeanette
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:08:52 PM by AZmonsooncats »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 09:27:27 PM »
As it was suggested I brang the antenna in and hooked it up to a short piece of cat 5 cable and tried a hair dryer, a fan and switches and could not detect any noises or strikes.

Perhaps the best way to test is with one of those gadgets that you use to start a fire in the fireplace, barbecue grill, etc. The ones where you pull the trigger and a flame lights several inches away (not just a regular pocket cigarette lighter).  Pulling the trigger causes an electrical spark.  That should be registered by your system, if everything is OK.

It does detect a noise if you plug and unplug the cable from the back of the card

That suggests that the card is OK.  Of course, if I understand correctly, it's a new card - and works the same as the previous card.

There are really only 4 things involved: software, computer card, cable, antenna.  Your software is working OK if it detects anything, ever (unless you have wildly mis-adjusted something).  You have tried two cards.  You "replaced" the cable.  Guess what's left?

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 11:05:02 PM »
UPDATE:

I appear to be detecting lightning again :-)  Got my antenna replacement today and it appears to hopefully solve all the problems. Luckly I replaced the cable too as it was not getting a tight snap into place connection ](*,) So now with both replaced it seems to be working :lol:

Lightning data is at the following link:

http://www.pepperridgenorthvalley.com/lightning.php

Basically had to replace everything but the software. I did notice today when changing out the attenna from it pvc protective housing that it had a hairline crack in it probally cause the problems ;) It interesting that even in a dry climate that some condensation must have been occurring in the pipe and slowly led to intermittent functionally. At least now I be able to detect lightning when Monsoon Season  :-) arrives!!!

Jeanette

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 03:12:45 AM »
good news, great you found the problem  :grin:
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

anything