Author Topic: How much is the ultrasonic anemometer affected by pole sway?  (Read 404 times)

Offline beruk

Hello!

Today, I mounted my HP2553's ultrasonic anemometer on a 4-foot PVC pipe, thinking "this is only temporary" as I was mounting it. The pole does sway a bit. It hasn't been windy at all today so I don't know how much of a sway there will be in windy conditions, but I am pretty sure it will.

Before spending on a metal pole to make this installation more solid and less prone to sway, I was wondering: how much does swaying affect wind readings with the ultrasonic anemometer?

Thanks,

Pascal

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: How much is the ultrasonic anemometer affected by pole sway?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 11:53:31 PM »
A rough way to look at it is the movement of the device is no more than one or two miles per hour at the most.  Sound in air depending on temperature and altitude is under standard conditons 767 mph, so the fraction added or taken away by sway will be small.

In addition,I'm not sure how that one works, but a Met One 50.5 only measures when commanded to do so, so depending upon the timing you may or may not hit a slack period at the end of the oscillation.  Other devices may trigger differently.

Just back of the envelop guesses as to factors that will make measurement vary from true.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 06:32:23 AM »
Clearly there will be some minor impact but I would guess no more than a Mph or two.
Probably within the margin of error.
At the end of the day the location and method of measuring is your local climate measure and so some degree of error is acceptable.
Its not going to be a met office site so rather than stressing about making it perfect concentrate on whether the location is suitable for you.
If its in a reasonably unobstructed location and one that will allow maintenance then all is good.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline beruk

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 09:21:01 AM »
Thanks for your replies, gentlemen! I’ll leave it as-is for now.

anything