Author Topic: Moving Files and Programs to a New PC  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
Moving Files and Programs to a New PC
« on: December 09, 2014, 08:50:18 PM »
Need a little advice....  Got a new PC, Win 7 on it and I'm going to move my current Weather Programs over to it, currently on a Win 7 machine.... normally, I wouldn't fret. However, I am worried that moving all of my Weather Stuff over something will go wrong. Is it better to use Win 7 Easy Transfer or buy a program and transfer cable?

I'm hoping that those that have been through this might be able to give me pointers on moving, VWS, Weather Display, GR3, Ipswitch FTP Pro, Website Host etc..... really don't want to lose any data.

Any pointers will be most welcomed.

Joe
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
Re: Moving Files and Programs to a New PC
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 09:00:51 PM »
If you really want to be sure that you don't loose any data in the event that something goes wrong during the transfer, Backup your entire system to external media (ie a USB Hard Disk, or a NAS (Network Attached Storage) system) before trying anything.

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 09:24:02 PM »
If you really want to be sure that you don't loose any data in the event that something goes wrong during the transfer, Backup your entire system to external media (ie a USB Hard Disk, or a NAS (Network Attached Storage) system) before trying anything.

I am backing the entire system up to A NAS first.  How about sequence of installing the weather programs, data, VP2 Console, serial logger, etc?
WeatherLink Live

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 09:34:10 PM »
I'm hoping that those that have been through this might be able to give me pointers on moving, VWS, Weather Display, GR3, Ipswitch FTP Pro, Website Host etc..... really don't want to lose any data.

Usually, if you copy over a programs data and then reinstall the software on the new system, the software will continue from were you stopped it on the old system.

That can be a PITA though if there is a lot of software you have to reinstall. I avoid that by imaging the system (Norton Ghost, Acronis (sp), Clonezilla, partimage, etc.), ideally you should run sysprep (that will make Windows re-detect all the hardware at first boot) before creating the image. But, typically, you can get away without doing so if Windows has a driver for the boot disk controller. In any case, make sure you have copies of the drivers for the major hardware that Windows doesn't have a built-in driver for (I like to copy them to the disk before imaging, so they are easy to get at).

Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:41:10 PM »

Usually, if you copy over a programs data and then reinstall the software on the new system, the software will continue from were you stopped it on the old system.

That can be a PITA though if there is a lot of software you have to reinstall. I avoid that by imaging the system (Norton Ghost, Acronis (sp), Clonezilla, partimage, etc.), ideally you should run sysprep (that will make Windows re-detect all the hardware at first boot) before creating the image. But, typically, you can get away without doing so if Windows has a driver for the boot disk controller. In any case, make sure you have copies of the drivers for the major hardware that Windows doesn't have a built-in driver for (I like to copy them to the disk before imaging, so they are easy to get at).

Wow.... I didn't even think to use Acronis. That just might be the answer.

Thanks

WeatherLink Live

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 10:37:11 PM »
Imaging has its pros and cons.

Pro: All your software restarts from where and as it was on the old system.

Con: You may have spend some time making Windows happy finding and installing needed drivers, You need a way to boot the system so that you can run the image software.

Do make sure you have a good backup before you try it.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 10:46:40 PM »
Will using the original disks that came with the new PC do it?
WeatherLink Live

anything