Author Topic: Does WU ever work right?  (Read 564 times)

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
Does WU ever work right?
« on: May 05, 2019, 12:30:17 PM »
I've been using WU for years and it always seems to have some strange issues. For a few weeks now WU wonder map is not showing rain amounts it will only show if you go directly to the station.  ](*,)

This is just one issue of many but it seems to be the most popular PWS site.

Sometimes your PWS dose not show on the wunder map.
Sometimes the data shown on the wunder map is not correct even when using rapid fire.
Sometimes wunder map just don't work.
There is no wunder map or wunder station app for the iphone........ipad only!  ](*,)

:roll:

Sad thing is the app is good. Yes i know they have been working on the website but these issues have been around way past that.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:33:37 PM by Tazz 316 »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: Does WU ever work right?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 12:59:31 PM »
My advice would be too just walk away.
If they wanted it fixed it would have been done a LONG time ago.
Someone mentioned a while back that the problem may be that the people they have trying to fix the issues are in over their heads. It makes sense. If skilled IT people were overseeing things they would be corrected. I don't blame the current people trying to fix the issues but rather management at IBM who hired them.
For the time being use another source and hope that sometime in the future it will fixed. Waiting on IBM to correct the issues is pointless as they have shown that they have no interest in doing so.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 01:19:43 PM »
Someone mentioned a while back that the problem may be that the people they have trying to fix the issues are in over their heads. It makes sense. If skilled IT people were overseeing things they would be corrected. I don't blame the current people trying to fix the issues but rather management at IBM who hired them.
For the time being use another source and hope that sometime in the future it will fixed. Waiting on IBM to correct the issues is pointless as they have shown that they have no interest in doing so.

What are the alternatives? WU is the only one i have sent my data to.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 01:28:03 PM »
What kind of station/software

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 01:45:13 PM »

What??? If a newbie said that I'd understand. But looking through your old posts I see you have dabbled with Virtual VP and Cumulus 1 and MX and Weather-Display and Weatherlink PC/weatherlink.com and probably others. Did you miss where those various software give you the ability to send your data to numerous places? Not to mention that if you know about those solutions and you also having been a member of this forum since 2017, probably you are also informed about the many other solutions like WiFiLogger, Meteobridge, WeeWx...etc. There is nothing you can't do with your VP2 with a ton of different solutions.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 01:56:44 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 06:18:39 PM »

What??? If a newbie said that I'd understand. But looking through your old posts I see you have dabbled with Virtual VP and Cumulus 1 and MX and Weather-Display and Weatherlink PC/weatherlink.com and probably others. Did you miss where those various software give you the ability to send your data to numerous places? Not to mention that if you know about those solutions and you also having been a member of this forum since 2017, probably you are also informed about the many other solutions like WiFiLogger, Meteobridge, WeeWx...etc. There is nothing you can't do with your VP2 with a ton of different solutions.

No i never did use the other sites. I like to view other PWS in my local area and compare them with mine. Unfortunately WU seems to have the most.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 06:24:06 PM by Tazz 316 »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 06:54:24 PM »
If still have Cumulus you can use that software to send data to pws.com and CWOP.
Here's a link to https://www.pwsweather.com/tools.php  As you can see a lot people send them data.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 07:13:50 PM »
I do not mind sending my info to WU and others. I never use WU to see my own info. Why would I?

But with the WU map cluster being a cluster since Feb 18--I am thinking about dropping it.

The Windy maps are incredible and I am testing it on my site.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 07:43:47 PM »
If still have Cumulus you can use that software to send data to pws.com and CWOP.
Here's a link to https://www.pwsweather.com/tools.php  As you can see a lot people send them data.

Yes still using cumulus! pwsweather.com has zero stations around me. What is windy maps?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 08:45:13 PM »
Well you can't use Windy directly with Cumulus 1. Are you on Cumulus 1 or MX?

With Cumulus MX you can send directly to Windy.com. But if you are on Cumulus 1 then you should definitely send to CWOP just for the sake of CWOP. But by sending to CWOP then Windy.com will pickup your data. When Windy gets your data from CWOP (MADIS) there will be a longer delay of average 10 minutes with longest delay at about 19 minutes, whereas if you send directly to Windy the data is there consistently every 5 minutes.

With CWOP you'll be able to easily compare to other CWOP stations using Gladstonefamily.net. There your station can easily draw graphs and overlay your data with neighbor data. You can even compare stations that don't redily show up as neighbors by manually manipulating the URL. Just do a regular neighbor comparison to learn how the URL works. You basically are just adding &addnl=CWOPID to the URL.

Another comparison site to use is AWEKAS. It works differently but I like having the option of this comparison too.

WU may give you a lot of neighbor stations to look at but the grand majority of what shows up on WU isn't of the best quality just because every joe blow station ends up on WU and lots of them are not maintained or are poorly sited.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 08:46:53 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole