Author Topic: Best steps to replace 5in1/Hub with Atlas/Access  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Beech33

Best steps to replace 5in1/Hub with Atlas/Access
« on: February 07, 2019, 01:17:58 PM »
Tomorrow i will replace my 5in1/Hub with a new Atlas/Access and I wondering if there is procedure that will keep MyAcuRite and WU happy. I don't want a new WU Station ID.
Here is what I was thinking:
1) connect the Access to internet and power and allow time for it to download the newest firmware.
2) Add the new Access to MyAcuRite
3) I have 3 Temp/Humidity connected to the old Hub so next I was going to add them to the Access and verify them on MyAcuRite
4) Install the batteries in the Atlas and establish connection with Access and verify on MyAcuRite

At this point I should have both units reporting to MyAcuRite and WU.

5) Turn off the old Hub and enter my WU Station ID and Station key in the sharing area of MyAcuRite for the new Access.
6) Remove the old Hub and sensors in MyAcuRite

Will this work or am I missing something  #-o?

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
Re: Best steps to replace 5in1/Hub with Atlas/Access
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 04:13:59 PM »
I have exactly the same question. Looking forward to seeing the answer.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 04:45:23 PM »
Follow the installation instructions found inside the box. If I remember correctly, they say to first put in the lightning detector and then the batteries into the Atlas. Keep the Atlas and display with a couple of feet of each other and then plug the display into an outlet and follow the on-screen setup.

Follow these Access insturctions:
https://www.acurite.com/media//manuals/09155-QSG.pdf

You can still run both the Smarthub & Access. You just need to go into MyAcuRite and add the Access. Then go to the weather sharing menu and change it to the Access if you want to use it for WU.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 07:08:12 PM »
Then go to the weather sharing menu and change it to the Access if you want to use it for WU.

I get an error "station ID is already in use " when I do that.

Offline Beech33

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 07:32:29 PM »
Then go to the weather sharing menu and change it to the Access if you want to use it for WU.

I get an error "station ID is already in use " when I do that.

Even after deleting the SmartHub/5in1?

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 08:24:37 PM »
On the share weather menu you’ll first need to remove sharing of the SmartHub with you Station ID before switching it over to your Access. You can only have one device per Station ID.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 12:07:54 PM »
On the share weather menu you’ll first need to remove sharing of the SmartHub with you Station ID before switching it over to your Access. You can only have one device per Station ID.
That’s what I did (I think). I’ll give it another try...

Offline Nusince

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 01:54:43 PM »
So I actually did the exact same thing this morning. It probably takes all of a half an hour from start to finish including the mounting of the sensor unit itself.

So first before anything else log into myAcurite, go to charts and details and download your historical weather data from your current sensor. You will loose all of this data even if you were only changing to the Access Hub. If you learn about this the hard way like I did you can still grab the historical data from wunderground.

Put the batteries in the new access, plug it in and connect it to the network. Wait for it to check for firmware updates and come fully online. 

Then back on myAcurite go to devices under settings and you will see the old hub listed so select replace and then put in the information for the new access hub. That will bring your new hub online with your old 5-in-1 sensor suite.

You can then go out and mount the new Atlas sensor, put in the batteries and within a couple of minutes the new sensor will show up on the bottom of the devices page as an available sensor (you may need to reload the page) and just click on add and there you go. You can then remove the old 5-in-1 sensor if you would like from that same page.

Now to connect your new Access to your current Wunderground PWS on wunderground click on my profile at the top and select my weather stations. Then go back to myAcurite, click on settings and click on share weather. Under sharing to Weather Underground click on add and put in the station ID and station key for the password listed on the PWS information page from your wunderground page, hit save and within a few minutes your PWS will show as being online on weather underground and everything will continue on as it did before but now with the new Access and new Atlas sensor suite.

And the display is super simple also. Plug it in and if it does not go through the automatic setup just click on the menu button in the top left corner, click on sensor, add a sensor and it will search for and connect to the new Atlas sensor (it might take it a minute or two to find it so don't worry if it does not pop up within a couple of seconds).

Hope that helps.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 03:03:47 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I may not be explaining my situation well enough.

I have a 5in1 not the Atlas. It's been running for several years with the hub reporting to WU. When Acurite discontinued the hub (don't get me started  :sad: ) I bought an Access. Right now it's running in parallel with the hub. With all my sensors connected. All I want to do is have the Access report to WU instead of the hub.

Here is what I've been doing. I'm probably missing a simple step.

On my iPad, using the MyAccurite app, I go to settings/Sharing. I enable sharing for the Access and disable sharing for the hub. I go to Sharing to WU, which already shows my station ID, enter my password, and under "Select Device" I enter Access (Select sensor already shows 5in1). When I click "Save" I get the error, "Weather Underground Station ID is already in use". Like the OP I want to use my existing Station ID.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 03:35:11 PM »

On my iPad, using the MyAccurite app, I go to settings/Sharing. I enable sharing for the Access and disable sharing for the hub. I go to Sharing to WU, which already shows my station ID, enter my password, and under "Select Device" I enter Access (Select sensor already shows 5in1). When I click "Save" I get the error, "Weather Underground Station ID is already in use". Like the OP I want to use my existing Station ID.
I would suggest removing the old/existing entry under “Sharing to Weather Underground” and then add a new entry with the Access for the same/old station ID.

Also remember to go to WU and change your Station Hardware: to “AcuRite 5-in-1 Weather Station with AcuRite Access”.
You’ll find the setting on WU under the following menus: My Profile => My Weather Stations => Icon for Edit Station

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 03:57:09 PM »
I would suggest removing the old/existing entry under “Sharing to Weather Underground” and then add a new entry with the Access for the same/old station ID.

Also remember to go to WU and change your Station Hardware: to “AcuRite 5-in-1 Weather Station with AcuRite Access”.
You’ll find the setting on WU under the following menus: My Profile => My Weather Stations => Icon for Edit Station
Perfect! Thanks for the help!

Offline Beech33

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 11:25:59 PM »
I had no problems making the switch over. My key was using the replace button in MyAcuRite   Since the 5in1 still works, I put it to use in my storage room for temp and humidity.