Author Topic: Sadly, Atlas going back to AcuRite  (Read 2826 times)

Offline snowman435

Sadly, Atlas going back to AcuRite
« on: October 08, 2018, 06:16:13 PM »
Well, after chatting with 3 individuals at AcuRite support over the past several days the decision and recommendation is to return both the Atlas sensor and Atlas display to them for testing and repair or replacement. What a disappointment! After only 1 week in operation the list of problems with this unit is as follows:

1. Recorded over 1,000 false lightning strikes that started immediately after initial set up. Strikes were recorded during daylight hours with the sun shining on the Atlas sensor and aspirating fan running. Almost all strikes were recorded at 1 mile.  All 3 solar panels eventually received direct sunlight as the sun moved across the sky. The false strikes were continuous all day long no matter which solar panel received the most intense light. During evening and night hours with direct sunlight absent and fan not running all false strikes stopped.

2. Several days after set up a "white spot" appeared on the edge of one solar panel. The two other panels were clean. The white spot was not visible on the panel when I unpacked the sensor.

3. Two days ago I observed that the red LED transmission light was on solid and steady. It was not blinking every 10 seconds as it should. I had no reason to check the light earlier because all readings were being transmitted to the display and myacurite. I have no idea how long the light was on steady but a pulled the batteries and re-installed them. The light then resumed blinking off and on every 10 seconds.

4. Just last evening the "Low Battery" icon started to appear on the Atlas display. It would appear and then disappear and then after a few minutes appear again. So, I got 6 DAYS of usage out of 4 fresh duracell coppertop batteries. Not bad.

5. 10 minutes after the low battery icon started its magic act I received a nighttime false lightning strike. No sunlight, no fan running, no storms within 200 miles, no appliances starting, no motors running as possible causes.

I am at a loss to explain what has gone wrong with this unit. It appears to me it's related to the the solar panels, fan or both. But that doesn't explain the nighttime false lightning strike when both of those components were not functioning. Who knows. We are all just guessing at this point.  I haven't yet mentioned the lightning module itself. Perhaps that's the culprit? It's funny because I am to receive a replacement module from AcuRite this coming Thursday. By then my Atlas will be halfway to Lake Geneva so I will not even have a chance to see if the new module makes a difference.
This entire Atlas thing has really gotten off to a bad start for me. I was really looking forward to a new weather station. My 5 in 1 is still chugging along however, it is starting to grow whiskers. Hopefully, I get good news soon.

AcuRite Atlas and Pro+ 5-in-1 with Access
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Davis AirLink
WU - KNJHILLS51
CoCoRaHS - NJ-SM-65

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Sadly, Atlas going back to AcuRite
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 06:29:51 PM »
That is too bad.  But like dear old Dad used to say "Never buy the first model year of ANYTHING!".  He was right.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 06:30:36 PM »
#3 is the key.

If it's not blinking every 10-seconds in normal operation, something is definitely wrong.

There's a certain normal blink sequence starting up.  There's another blink sequence if it is in "North" calibration mode.

There are others for diagnostics, but a solid red certainly isn't good.

Offline snowman435

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 07:43:09 PM »
George...
#3...Steady red light issue. Is it repairable or is it a crippling defect resulting in product replacement?
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Davis AirLink
WU - KNJHILLS51
CoCoRaHS - NJ-SM-65

Offline snowman435

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 07:54:37 PM »
Bushman...
That's another issue I have to deal with. I never listened to my Dad. I was told "you take to many chances". Well, you win some, you loose some. Its not over yet. Thanks.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Davis AirLink
WU - KNJHILLS51
CoCoRaHS - NJ-SM-65

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 07:56:47 PM »
George...
#3...Steady red light issue. Is it repairable or is it a crippling defect resulting in product replacement?

That I couldn't tell you.  I'd hope they would just quickly send you a new one instead of waiting for diagnostics and repair.

Offline snowman435

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 08:22:00 PM »
I like your thinking George. I pushed for a replacement but they would not budge. She even consulted supervisors. No deal. I had to back off. I am guessing they really want to see it first before deciding. I was told they have to follow policy. I just don't want my sensor back and it looks "worked over". Less than perfect.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Davis AirLink
WU - KNJHILLS51
CoCoRaHS - NJ-SM-65

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 08:35:21 PM »
They should have just cross shipped you one. 
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline beamd

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 08:52:02 PM »
This is why I am just trying another one from amazon and returning mine. If they screw around and take to long it will be past Amazons easy 30 day return.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 09:07:10 PM »
I like your thinking George. I pushed for a replacement but they would not budge. She even consulted supervisors. No deal. I had to back off. I am guessing they really want to see it first before deciding. I was told they have to follow policy. I just don't want my sensor back and it looks "worked over". Less than perfect.
Wow. Brand spanking new and they refuse to take it back. That speaks volumes.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 09:19:12 PM »
Wow. Brand spanking new and they refuse to take it back. That speaks volumes.

It tells me they've been scammed too often.  People buy stuff on amazon, claim a warranty replacement from the original manufacturer, return the original to amazon, sell the warranty replacement on ebay.

The only way they can fight back is get the return in hand before sending out a replacement, or have the replacement secured with a credit card.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 09:24:41 PM by nincehelser »

Offline radioman61

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 09:26:56 PM »
My experience with Acurite warranty service in the past has been positive.  I understand your disappointment, been there myself.  Anything mass produced will kick out a random dud occasionally. Sorry you were the unlucky contestant.

Offline snowman435

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 10:16:12 PM »
All you guys have me thinking that I should give it another shot. Their "policy" and "testing" really doesn't interest me. It's for their benefit not mine that they want to" pinpoint" the cause of the issues. All I want is a station that works right out of the box. I don't need to know all the technical stuff and what went wrong with this or that. I monitor and report the weather conditions in my area. That's my interest. So, I will try another chat tomorrow. I know my chances are slim. They have my money and can throw their policy book at me all day long. But I will try. Thanks for your support.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Davis AirLink
WU - KNJHILLS51
CoCoRaHS - NJ-SM-65

Offline radioman61

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 10:36:45 PM »
As much as your experience sucks, maybe it will help identify an issue that will eventually help others experiencing similar issues. I know you didn’t sign on to be the test case but I hope if you see it through, Acurite makes it right.

Offline IsaacFox

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 11:20:05 PM »
I also got the solid red light as well, it was stuck in a boot loop for an hour before it finally died. just gonna return it to amazon and probably get a davis or something that's more reliable 

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 10:31:31 AM »
All you guys have me thinking that I should give it another shot. Their "policy" and "testing" really doesn't interest me. It's for their benefit not mine that they want to" pinpoint" the cause of the issues. All I want is a station that works right out of the box. I don't need to know all the technical stuff and what went wrong with this or that. I monitor and report the weather conditions in my area. That's my interest. So, I will try another chat tomorrow. I know my chances are slim. They have my money and can throw their policy book at me all day long. But I will try. Thanks for your support.

Did you buy the unit from Amazon or from Acurite?

If you bought it from Amazon just start a return.  When I returned my Atlas, Amazon refunded my purchase once UPS scanned the return label.  I didn't even have to wait for it ship back to Amazon's warehouse.

If you bought it from Acurite just do a customer satisfaction return for a refund. (not a warranty claim)  Then buy a new one from Amazon if you want to.  I wouldn't put up with a warranty return on something covered by a satisfaction guarantee.  If Acurite resists then do a cc chargeback. (warranty returns should be for items past the normal customer satisfaction window).

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 03:53:05 PM »
has anyone who did a return/replacement with Amazon received a trouble free unit?

anything