Author Topic: Remote access to Vantage Pro2  (Read 6581 times)

Offline lobsterman

• Senior Contributor
    • Cape Small Harbor Weather
Remote access to Vantage Pro2
« on: September 26, 2016, 04:33:12 PM »
Running a meteobridge device and WeatherCat on a mac mini here in Maine (trying out both for the time being) and very happy with both so far. We'll be leaving for the winter, and I'll leave the MB device, Davis console, routers, etc all on the UPS.

But what I'd like to do is not leave the mac mini (with WeatherCat) running all on its own for months and take it with me; if I don't leave it running here I can't see that there is anyway for me to access the Davis console remotely with that same mac mini. Am I missing something obvious?

I can work out the usual DyDNS, VPN's etc., but it's a connection to the Davis remotely with WeatherCat that I can't sort out.

Advice most welcome.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Remote access to Vantage Pro2
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 04:45:15 PM »
Serial or IP logger?

Offline lobsterman

• Senior Contributor
    • Cape Small Harbor Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 04:57:39 PM »
Serial or IP logger?

The Davis USB unit, so serial. If I had the WeatherlinkIP unit then I reckon I could reach it directly via TCP/IP, yes?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 05:30:40 PM »
Oh forgot about USB and no doubt your MB is connected to that? Yes an IP logger would be easy, a serial logger works remotely with something like a Moxa but USB I don't use and don't have any answers on that one, sorry. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 05:34:10 PM »
WLIP requires no additional computer unlike USB or serial.

Offline Hangtownweather

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 02:21:06 PM »
I'm trying to do something similar:  a remote Vantage Pro2, laptop, 3G/4G router and StarDot Netcam, all powered by the Sun.

Not much to find about this on the internet.  Ambient suggests I spend over $600 on Vantage Connect which also requires a $180/year contract with Davis for the weather data, while I suggested the Airbridge Kit for around $500, for which I'd have to buy a 3G/4G router.

The Airbridge kit contains and Airbridge and a Weatherbridge.  Not sure what each does.

Hmm...

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 02:33:30 PM »
I'm trying to do something similar:  a remote Vantage Pro2, laptop, 3G/4G router and StarDot Netcam, all powered by the Sun.

It can be done. It's just a matter of engineering a large enough solar/battery system. But the laptop and Netcam especially make this a sizeable system.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 04:22:37 PM »
Normally I'd recommend a Meteobridge (Weatherbridge) but  since you are using a few more pieces and need solar, go with a Raspberry Pi.  Lots of instructables on the Net to solar power it plus easy access to it either via Teamviewer for Pi or Weaved (remot3.it).  That is pretty much my setup, save for the solar power.  I can easily access everything from 600 kms away, day or night. 
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Hangtownweather

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 04:37:03 PM »
A Pi is a little more technically challenging than I want at the moment.  Thanks for the advice, though.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 06:36:11 PM »
Which ever way you go there will need to be a router & SIM (on data plan). A Laptop is something to say away from with such a system as simply not very viable.

Power and specifically backup power is the key to maintaining a viable and working system with solar. The highest power usage devices need to be the ones to disconnect first / reconnect last using LVD devices. It doesn't matter much if one can't connect for a few days if the router is disconnected as the main aim is to maintain the data. 

Even keeping a WLIP logging (in backup) for any length of time requires some battery capacity hence a solar system needs to provide 2 separate power supplies either using separate panels and multiple regulators or a single dual regulator where individual batteries can be charged with say a 90/10% split, 90% of charge to the primary battery and 10% to the backup with the backup battery having the largest capacity in the system, the bigger the better. 

A serial logger is much easier to maintain power wise, both for primary and backup power but requires a internet/serial interface between the router and the logger.     
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:38:21 PM by Mattk »

Offline Hangtownweather

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 08:13:37 PM »
Thanks, Mattk, for that interesting advice.  I will use it when I make a decision on how to go forward.

I'm not wanting to store data on site.  I just want to upload it to CWOP and WU and upload .jpg files to my website.

Jim

anything