Author Topic: What's With All the Earthquakes in Arkansas?  (Read 1983 times)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
What's With All the Earthquakes in Arkansas?
« on: July 24, 2011, 04:37:48 PM »
As long as I've been watching, there has been at least one 2+ nearly every day, sometimes 3 or 4 a day.

I'm seeing 11 in the last week clustered just north of Conway, between 1.8 and 2.6

Seems like a weird place for such a constant cluster.

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Senior Contributor
  • Davis Vantage Pro2+ with full FARS
Re: What's With All the Earthquakes in Arkansas?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 05:03:23 PM »
Appears to be a number of articles relating earthquakes in Arkansas to Hydraulic Fracturing (Fracking) being done in the area.  In fact, Fracking has been discontinued in some areas because of evidence it is the cause.
All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »
"The sun did not come up this morning, huge cracks have appeared in the earth's surface, and big rocks are falling out of the sky. Details 25 minutes from now on Action Central News."
-George Carlin
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 07:35:41 AM »
Sounds like a job for Talisman Terry the friendly Fracosaurus.

Andrew

Appears to be a number of articles relating earthquakes in Arkansas to Hydraulic Fracturing (Fracking) being done in the area.  In fact, Fracking has been discontinued in some areas because of evidence it is the cause.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 11:23:38 AM »
Hi folks,

There have been earthquakes in the general area you all are discussing long before the drilling started.  There is a small active fault in that vicinity that caused a rash of small quakes back in the early 80's, I believe, but the drilling has exacerbated the issue there.  I mean think about it, if you take enough gas out that is under great pressure and replace it with something that is completely different than what was there, you will get movement.  Plus if you happen to be doing this in the neighborhood of an existing active fault.....there ya go.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus