Author Topic: Webcam FTP server status  (Read 17105 times)

Offline quailvalleywx

Webcam FTP server status
« on: October 30, 2018, 11:15:13 AM »
I keep a log file of WU webcam ftp activity and check it periodically.  WU's 3 ftp servers are generally much more reliable than a ~year ago but still have occasional problems.  If I see problems identified in the log file I'll post them here for information and hopefully subsequent resolution by WU.
To start it off - (52.36.136.128) has been down since Oct 25th ~20:00 GMT with can't connect to remote host: Connection refused.  Other two ftp servers are OK.
WS-1400-IP, Galaxy S3 for cloud cam and Web Server
QV Website | Source Code | WU | WC | PWS | MesoWest/CWOP

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Webcam FTP server status
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 01:45:08 PM »
In case anyone is wondering

WU camera FTP address:
webcam.wunderground.com

DNS resolves to:

But I ask why use or specify one of those IP addresses instead of using the domain name which is set up for Round-Robin? If you happen to be using the full domain name end up with a DNS query and get the failed server's IP it will fail but then on your next try it should hopefully work. But if there is a server that is down for good then WU should remove that bad address from the Round-Robin DNS lookup results.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 01:56:12 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 05:08:47 PM »
Nov 5th ~17:00 GMT - 52.36.136.128 is back up.  All 3 ftp webcam servers running.

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 08:29:44 PM »
Nov. 23 ~23:30 GMT,  ftp server 54.148.11.142 is down again with what appears to be its usual failure mode (disk full?).  Other 2 ftp servers are running fine.

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 05:08:26 PM »
Back to 100% as of Nov 28, 18:30 GMT:
52.36.136.128 - OK
54.148.11.142 - OK
52.37.52.183 - OK

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 07:47:53 PM »
52.36.136.128 - OK
54.148.11.142 - down since 02-05-2019 05:00 UTC
52.37.52.183 - OK

Since the 3 servers get selected round-robin from pics ftp uploaded to webcam.wunderground.com then currently 1/3 of the images are being dropped. Eventually a subsequent periodic FTP upload will be sent to a working server.

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 11:04:48 AM »
All 3 ftp webcam servers are back up.

52.36.136.128 - OK
54.148.11.142 - OK - restored 02-21-2019 17:30 UTC
52.37.52.183 - OK

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 08:37:06 AM »
52.36.136.128 - OK
54.148.11.142 - down since Mar-10-2019 20:00 UTC, not accepting logins
52.37.52.183 - down since ~Feb 4th, accepts images but does make them available to wundermap nor station pages

Only 52.36.136.128 is working at the moment.

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 08:51:01 AM »
52.36.136.128 - OK
54.148.11.142 - OK  back up Mar-24-2019 07:00 UTC
52.37.52.183 - down since ~Feb 4th, accepts images but does make them available to wundermap nor station pages

Offline ghall118

• The Ridge Above Homer Alaska
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 08:14:56 PM »
Is this possibly why my webcam has gone dark since 1/5/19 even though FTP checks from the webcam are OK? Is it possible to specify the good working FTP server to try to get my camera back? Also the new landing page effective for my station today does not even show the wind or temp on the wundermap...and I notice a new webcam place holder but no way to add a webcam or change the webcam on the page as was in the past....frustrating....

KAKHOMER37

Offline seismet

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 04:02:08 AM »
Hi Guys,
Just wondering if any of you can shed some light on my problem.
I have a webcam at a remote site uploading to WU every 30 minutes and since the new look of WU the webcam image is no longer available.
In the area where the cam image should it just says "Associated Webcam" No associated webcam" .
looking at my "Devices list" it is listed but classified as "Offline" .
Is there anything I need to do to my system or account since the WU new look or is this happening because of a problem with WU.
I do know that I can login to the server and it accepts username and password from a command line on my laptop.
Thanks for any help.

Offline jmmctighe

• High St. Ipswich
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 02:55:05 PM »
I'm having the same issue, either get 'FTP create Dir failed' or when  I test the access to the ftp server I get the server is rejecting the login info.  Using the specified IP addresses of their online servers is not changing anything.
If anyone has any ideas or updates, please let us know

Offline HighStationXray

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 03:15:59 PM »
                My Webcam cannot log into the FT server and download an image - Is the path still  ftp://webcam.wunderground.com ?            What is the deal? I had spent hours learning and trying to understand how webcams work along with FTP sites. After hours of reading and experimenting, I had finally made the connection and I was seeing current image updates for days on end. Then all at once, nothing. Now I am confused. What can I do to help correct the problem, is it the way I have set things up or is this a major malfunction that is outside of my control at this time. My PWS does not show up as any available PWS in the area but the link is still active and reporting accurate data from my station. My PWS is KCALAKEA59   and my Camera ID is   WU_7055533CAM1 link is https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCALAKEA59

Note: When I run a test from my webcam UI to the FTP site the test status now says "invalid username/password"
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 07:06:24 PM by HighStationXray »

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 04:50:58 PM »
52.36.136.128 - OK
54.148.11.142 - OK

Is this possibly why my webcam has gone dark since 1/5/19 even though FTP checks from the webcam are OK? Is it possible to specify the good working FTP server to try to get my camera back?
KAKHOMER37
WU's 3 FTP servers seemed OK in January so this is likely not a server issue.  2 of the 3 are working now so webcam.wunderground.com should be fine.  The recent "refresh" of the pws pages messed a whole bunch of stuff up. Looks like they just got the devices page active - not sure if it is working to add a camera.  Maybe log in and try it https://www.wunderground.com/member/devices.

since the new look of WU the webcam image is no longer available.
In the area where the cam image should it just says "Associated Webcam" No associated webcam" .
looking at my "Devices list" it is listed but classified as "Offline" .
My webcam is associated but I have no image.  Is yours showing up on wundermap?  Mine is so the association to my weatherstation (which tells the map the lat/lon of the camera) is still working.  They got https://www.wunderground.com/member/devices going so maybe try logging in and adding/editing your webcam and make sure your weatherstation ID is entered under the camera.  So much is broke after the refresh though - hopefully that works.

I'm having the same issue, either get 'FTP create Dir failed' or when  I test the access to the ftp server I get the server is rejecting the login info.  Using the specified IP addresses of their online servers is not changing anything.
If anyone has any ideas or updates, please let us know
I just checked my webcam log file and all 3 WU FTP are taking images today at webcam.wunderground.com.  WU said they were working on logins so maybe something got messed up there.  The webcam ftp login should be your cam name from https://www.wunderground.com/member/devices and your WU password.

Is the path still  ftp://webcam.wunderground.com ?  is it the way I have set things up or is this a major malfunction that is outside of my control at this time.
I bet WU messed up something with your camera association.  Mine is not on my pws page either but it's still updating on wundermap?  You could try logging in and verifying your camera info on the devices page https://www.wunderground.com/member/devices.  Make sure your camera is associated with your PWS station ID.
Might even have to re-add your camera but the concern there is if you may lose previous history of the camera.

Offline Squatcher

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 04:56:24 PM »
I am experiencing the same issue. I have a camera setup to upload and it seems to periodically stop showing up on their map. Right now, it keeps telling me that my password/ username is invalid or incorrect. Nothing has changed, but now its invalid or incorrect. Not sure what to do. I attempted to FTP into the site, not sure if I can or not, but it says the same thing, invalid password. When I go into the device page, it says my camera is offline.

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2019, 06:05:00 PM »
When I go into the device page, it says my camera is offline.
My devices page says offline too yet there are a bunch of cams showing up on wundermap, mine included.  My cam picture is not showing on my pws page...but is on the map??

I bet WU still has things messed up such that the ftp servers haven't got the most recent cam IDs and WU passwords. Mine hasn't changed in a long time so maybe I got lucky. From your devices page are you using your cam ID as the name for the ftp login and your WU password for the ftp password?

Offline Squatcher

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 06:54:38 PM »
Correct. I am using the webcam id as the username and the password that I use to log in as the webcams password.

Its the same setup thats been there for a long time.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2019, 07:08:59 PM »
since they did their new webcam page, mine no longer shows up.  I am going to just wait until they get their act together.

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 05:10:19 PM »
52.36.136.128 - OK
54.148.11.142 - down since Mar-31-2019 18:00 UTC, same fail mode as many times in the last few months
52.37.52.183 - down since ~Feb 4th, accepts images but does not make them available to wundermap nor station pages

Down to 1 working FTP server again.  Only 1 in 3 image sends will work.  This is moot anyway for many that can't log in, not add cameras, and other problems. Ugh.

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 07:43:04 PM »
52.36.136.128 - OK
54.148.11.142 - accepts images as of 17:00 UTC but does not make them available to wundermap nor other apps
52.37.52.183 - accepts images as of 17:00 UTC but does not make them available to wundermap nor other apps

Only 1 in 3 image sends will make it to Wundermap / dashboard / video creator.  You could send directly to 52.36.136.128 instead of webcam.wunderground.com to make that 3 for 3 - unless you have problems with associations of existing cameras<==>stations or even adding a camera.

For me my existing camera, CollegeAntiochCAM2, shows on Wundermap but no image appears on Associated Webcam on my dashboard page, KKSSHAWN60.  Under My Devices -> Edit an Existing Personal Weather Station -> Associate Webcam  my camera does not appear in the pull down list as an option to add yet it does show Online on My Devices page.  The station association to the camera must be working since my camera's LAT/LON position is correct on Wundermap.  Summary, station is associated with the camera but option to associate camera to station does not appear.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 08:36:46 PM »
What did you use for username and password to log into the FTP servers?

Jim

Offline quailvalleywx

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2019, 09:36:50 AM »

Jim
For username I use the Webcam ID from this page when logged in https://www.wunderground.com/member/devices and my WU password.

A WU team member posted at one time that they were reworking the handling of logins/passwords across the various products and I'm guessing that impacted the webcam ftp servers too.  Hopefully all that work is done now.  Many times in the last few months some webcam ftp servers have been down (not taking logins) but today, at least, they are all taking logins/images.  Only one uses them though  :-(

Offline Gretnawx

• Gretna Weather Page
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2019, 10:19:51 AM »

Jim
For username I use the Webcam ID from this page when logged in https://www.wunderground.com/member/devices and my WU password.

A WU team member posted at one time that they were reworking the handling of logins/passwords across the various products and I'm guessing that impacted the webcam ftp servers too.  Hopefully all that work is done now.  Many times in the last few months some webcam ftp servers have been down (not taking logins) but today, at least, they are all taking logins/images.  Only one uses them though  :-(

Unfortunately I am unable to upload my images using my webcam ID and WU password.  It keeps prompting for a different password.  Logging in to the main WU page works fine.
There are 10 types of people in the world - Those that know binary and those that don't

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2019, 10:50:57 AM »
I have to comment that the information related to configuring a webcam is extremely vague and non-specific.  The user name needs to be specified, the port for FTP uploads would be nice, just to confirm we're all on the same page with that and any specifics regarding security/encryption would also be a big plus.  As it stands at the moment, none of that is mentioned and makes any troubleshooting a shot in the dark.  Hopefully, with time, that will improve.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2019, 11:28:51 AM »
I have to comment that the information related to configuring a webcam is extremely vague and non-specific.  The user name needs to be specified, the port for FTP uploads would be nice, just to confirm we're all on the same page with that and any specifics regarding security/encryption would also be a big plus.  As it stands at the moment, none of that is mentioned and makes any troubleshooting a shot in the dark.  Hopefully, with time, that will improve.

People asking for help are also often extremely vague.

Who knows maybe they aren't really asking for help and they are just informing us that something is broken. Maybe they think it couldn't possibly be a problem on their end.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:34:44 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything