Author Topic: Groundcover question  (Read 1007 times)

Offline drew1021

• Senior Contributor
Groundcover question
« on: July 28, 2018, 10:05:01 AM »
First off I own a Davis VP2 with FARS. The ISS is currently sited 5.5 feet over grass/weeds. We have had quite a lot of rain lately which got me thinking, the grass underneath is very saturated and with the summer sun and light to no wind my humidity/dew point values are through the roof. At one time yesterday my dew point was a full 10 degrees above local ASOS. In full disclosure, my vp2 humidity sensor does have a wet bias which is why I am trying to eliminate as many variables as possible. This leads me to my question, would placing a decorative white rock under the ISS help to reduce humidity/ dew point values?
I've noticed some pictures of ASOS stations with rock underneath the sensors. I would assume they know what they are doing. What do you think?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:28:51 AM by drew1021 »
VP2 with 24 hour FARS. WU: KNCLEWIS2. CWOP/APRS: DW4712, COCORAHS: NC-FR-7

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Groundcover question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 03:57:25 PM »
I think it is really up to you what you want to measure. There is no wrong answer. I don't think you have bad data if you are situated above grass, humid as it may be.

Should the fellow in Arizona feel the need to plant grass and water it around his ISS? Or should he just measure his normal dry rock and cacti garden habitat? Again neither is wrong. Some people do have grass in Arizona. But many don't.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 04:11:31 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 04:15:49 PM »

To conserve water, I proudly "grow sand & pebbles" in my yard, so my VP2 is over sand & pebbles (wink,wink).

Very nice! I approve. Right smack in the middle of the back yard.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 05:44:36 PM »
That's a little hard on the mower blade... :)

To conserve water, I proudly "grow sand & pebbles" in my yard, so my VP2 is over sand & pebbles (wink,wink).

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 07:06:23 PM »

Can you tell me what brand seed you use?  :lol:  With all of the Lyme-carrying deer ticks in our area, it may be worth a shot to see if  sand/pebbles will grow here in the northeast.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 12:11:44 AM »
The only problem I see in that picture is the extra houses.  There should never be more than one per quarter mile of road and none should ever be within 1,000 feet in any direction of another.