Author Topic: AcuRite Access??  (Read 25420 times)

Offline Brock

• Personal Blog
Re: AcuRite Access??
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2017, 07:25:11 PM »
Any guesses whether the Access will be more likely to allow IFTTT integration?  That's something that has been sorely lacking and hasn't appeared to be of interest to AcuRite...

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2017, 08:16:21 PM »
...My elevation is on "0" - Should this be changed?
If your elevation is listed as "0", that means you're set up for sending station pressure (absolute) rather than adjusted pressure (altimeter) to myAcurite and wunderground.

If you go into your device setup in myAcurite and switch to adjusted pressure, it will reprogram your Access (or SmartHUB) to reflect your elevation (based on your address) and change your pressure to an altimeter reading.
I admit that I am a novice at this and using this forum to learn before I buy (still waiting for the release and reviews of Atlas Elite before I decide what to buy). That said, it is disappointing that AcuRite does not allow you to configure elevation.  When I look up the elevation of my home using the address, it is 833'. I am reasonably sure that is about 10' low even at the street. Then on top of that, my lot has a pretty steep grade up to my house, and I would mount the device on my upper level on a desk, so that would mean the elevation of the barometer sensor would be 15' to 20' higher than what the address would show. I know that is probably only a hundredth or two on the adjusted pressure, but it seems to me like Acurite could make a simple software enhancement to allow you to configure the exact elevation like other brands do.

At this point, I guess my plan would be to find and use an address that would be a closer match to the true elevation of the installed barometer, but I wonder if using an incorrect address would have some other undesirable effect.

Like I said, I am a novice and still learning, so I would be happy to be enlightened by more experienced folks about why it is unnecessary or a bad idea to have a specific configuration option for elevation.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:42:49 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2017, 08:40:23 PM »
I admit that I am a novice at this and using this forum to learn before I buy (still waiting for the release and reviews of Atlas Elite before I decide what to buy). That said, it is disappointing that AcuRite does not allow you to configure elevation. 

You can manually configure your elevation.  They just put your elevation as per what your address shows as a starting point.  You can change it manually after that.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2017, 08:43:29 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. That is good to know.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2017, 09:38:19 PM »
...My elevation is on "0" - Should this be changed?

that would mean the elevation of the barometer sensor would be 15' to 20' higher than what the address would show. I know that is probably only a hundredth or two on the adjusted pressure
Yes, 10 ft of elevation is equivalent to 0.01 inches of Hg., at least for the altimeter. 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2018, 02:46:44 PM »
The Access is available for ordering.

https://www.acurite.com/access-my-acurite-remote-monitoring.html

Discount codes are now being sent.  Looks like you have until March 31st to upgrade at the $40 price.

Offline Wrog

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2018, 03:31:57 PM »
Per the product page:

AcuRite Access connects up to a total of seven (7) compatible AcuRite devices to My AcuRite.

Offline Catskin

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2018, 03:51:27 PM »
I was worried I didn't get a discount code, I will not give up hope ...

Offline meadowsland

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2018, 04:23:34 PM »

Did you reserve a pre-order?

Offline meadowsland

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2018, 04:23:51 PM »
Per the product page:

AcuRite Access connects up to a total of seven (7) compatible AcuRite devices to My AcuRite.

Correct

Offline Catskin

« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2018, 04:44:02 PM »

I did.

Offline Wrog

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2018, 04:46:44 PM »
Per the product page:

Correct

Reply #49 addressed this and it was thought that it would support 10 compatible devices but it's actually only the 7 that is mentioned in the Amazon listing.

Offline tmoosetrax

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2018, 05:26:47 PM »
If your still using the old 5 in 1 what are the benefits of upgrading to the acurite access ? The saving of data with battery back would be nice but not sure why needed. the only other thing would be if the atlas does not come with the Hub and you would need to purchase the Atlas and Acurite access to make it all work, better off buying now at a discount over the full price down the road. Other then that i guess im missing something.

Offline theslydog

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2018, 05:40:12 PM »

Yeah, I did.

It looks like the Acurite site has had a bit of a birthday as all the devices that had the old smart hub have had their pictures changed to include the new Access instead. There is also a pdf manual you can DL for the Access.

Also there is now a 'Coming Soon' for the AcuRite Atlas 7 and Atlas 8 and Elite on the front page.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2018, 06:11:16 PM »
In my Email it says the code is basicly a $90 discount that can be used on any Access bundles!

Thinking about upgrading to a new setup? This one-time, $90 discount code applies to any system that includes AcuRite Access. Shop AcuRite Access Bundles.

Access Bundles:
https://www.acurite.com/my-acurite/all-environment-systems.html?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=Bundles&utm_campaign=180103_Access

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline meadowsland

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2018, 06:57:01 PM »

Yeah, I did.

It looks like the Acurite site has had a bit of a birthday as all the devices that had the old smart hub have had their pictures changed to include the new Access instead. There is also a pdf manual you can DL for the Access.

Also there is now a 'Coming Soon' for the AcuRite Atlas 7 and Atlas 8 and Elite on the front page.

Did you get a email today?  If not, PM me your info and I can look into it

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2018, 08:13:26 PM »
If your still using the old 5 in 1 what are the benefits of upgrading to the acurite access ? The saving of data with battery back would be nice but not sure why needed. the only other thing would be if the atlas does not come with the Hub and you would need to purchase the Atlas and Acurite access to make it all work, better off buying now at a discount over the full price down the road. Other then that i guess im missing something.

Exactly. And typically when packages are bundled together there is usually a significant monetary saving as opposed to purchasing the parts individually so I too am wondering if this deal is really as great as it is being touted. Unless I'm also missing something.*

*For instance, will the Access be able to send lightning data to the MyAcurite website or to Weather Underground from the AcuRite 06045M Lightning Detector Sensor?

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2018, 08:19:15 PM »
Got mine today!  :grin:
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2018, 08:21:32 PM »
*For instance, will the Access be able to send lightning data to the MyAcurite website or to Weather Underground from the AcuRite 06045M Lightning Detector Sensor?

Does wunderground accept lighting data?

As tested, the Access doesn't collect data from the $20 lightning sensor.  I can't imagine why it wouldn't in the future, though.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2018, 08:42:51 PM »
Well I see or what I don't see I should say is the old hub on the web site, looks like they completely removed it? must be no longer offering it, stopped sales? they do have a listing for the old hub but when I click on it the new access pops up.

https://www.acurite.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=hub
KMIBADAX38

Offline A1cntrler

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2018, 08:44:40 PM »

As tested, the Access doesn't collect data from the $20 lightning sensor.  I can't imagine why it wouldn't in the future, though.

I asked about other data the Atlas collects (UV and solar radiation) being displayed on WU during the beta period.  My brother has an Ambient station that collects and displays that data on WU.  Acurite told me it was up to WU to decide if it wanted that data or not, so I guess the ball is in WU's court for the Lightning Detector and the other Atlas sensors.  WU is always real responsive  ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Ambient WS-5000 (KVACHEST93)

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2018, 08:45:15 PM »

Well, the smarthub doesn't. Only the 06058M display does afaik. Is the MyAcurite website going to be modified to display and record lightning data via the Access? This would be a selling point for 5 and 1 owners with the lightning sensor to upgrade to the Access.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2018, 08:47:20 PM »
Well I see or what I don't see I should say is the old hub on the web site, looks like they completely removed it? must be no longer offering it, stopped sales? they do have a listing for the old hub but when I click on it the new access pops up.

I see no reason that they'd want to push sales of the old SmartHUB anymore.  I suspect they might have kept some on-hand for warranty replacements, or some might still be in the supply chain.  Other than that, you might as well go with the Access... that's the future as far as new features are concerned.

Heck at $40, there little reason not to switch.  Remember the SmartHUB hardware was on the market for 7 or so years.... it's about time for a technology refresh.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2018, 08:50:00 PM »

I see no reason that they'd want to push sales of the old SmartHUB anymore.  I suspect they might have kept some on-hand for warranty replacements, or some might still be in the supply chain.  Other than that, you might as well go with the Access... that's the future as far as new features are concerned.

Heck at $40, there little reason not to switch.  Remember the SmartHUB hardware was on the market for 7 or so years.... it's about time for a technology refresh.
Oh right yup that's what I was thinking they must have a lot on hand still
KMIBADAX38

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2018, 08:51:48 PM »
Well, the smarthub doesn't. Only the 06058M display does afaik. Is the MyAcurite website going to be modified to display and record lightning data via the Access? This would be a selling point for 5 and 1 owners with the lightning sensor to upgrade to the Access.

The myAcurite site has been updated to display lightning data for the Atlas.  I'd imagine this could also be used for the $20 lightning sensor.  That was likely a reason the SmartHUB wasn't upgraded for the $20 sensor... the myAcurite display of the lightning data was still in development.  Then with the whole "horror" of updating the SmartHUB hardware for myAcurite, upgrading the firmware again for the $20 sensor just fell through the cracks.