Author Topic: Wunderground dying? Where to point my Davis Pro2?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline KevinC63559

Wunderground dying? Where to point my Davis Pro2?
« on: May 25, 2019, 10:02:25 AM »
Been seeing a lot of missing data problems on Wunderground recently.  All my neighbors, and a few government organizations, routinely thank me for the data feed to Wunderground.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KMONOVIN2?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

However, during a storm last night, when I checked the rain rate, it was zero.  Total accumulation was showing.  Wind speed and wind direction were showing.  What really freaked me out is it constantly claiming the last data was uploaded 56-57 minutes ago.  I logged into my Meteohub webpage and all the sensors are reporting just fine.  I watched the website for about 30 minutes and it was ALWAYS 56-57 minutes ago.  This morning its the same.

This is just plain stupid.  Is there a Wunderground like site I should be uploading my data to instead?

FWIW, I'm already part of CWOP.  (and nicely got a thank you note from the local University a few days after making that connection)

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
Re: Wunderground dying? Where to point my Davis Pro2?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 11:12:45 AM »
When you say your rain rate was zero on WU, was the rain rate showing up correctly on your VP2's console?

We have not had much rain here much this month, but I have heard of a bug with WU's new site where it incorrectly rounds rain rate and that you have to have more than 1" per hour for rain rate to show up at all.

Now if your console is showing zero too, that's a whole other matter. In that case, go check the rain collector and make sure nothing is stuck in the funnel and that there isn't anything preventing the tipping buckets inside from moving.

Offline KevinC63559

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 11:14:40 AM »
All sensors are reporting fine on the console and in Meteohub.  This is a Wunderground issue I believe.

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 11:20:12 AM »
Look at the graph for rain, it shows that you did have a rain rate earlier today. I think you are experiencing the same issue a lot are experiencing, there are no where near enough decimals on WU's "new" site. Unfortunately the old site has now stopped working.  :-(

As far as the time issues, check the time on your console and Meteohub. If they are running slow, WU will show the updates are in the past, cuz WU just displays whatever time it gets. Not saying it's not a bug on their side, just it could simply be a clock issue.

Offline KevinC63559

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 11:50:07 AM »
Yeah, I was seeing accumulation on the PWS page, but not hourly rate and it was coming down hard.

Oddly, the VM Meteohub is running in was out of sync time wise - so I think you nailed that one.  Not sure how that happened, given the host was fine.

So does the new page JUST report in whole digit inches/hour?  That seems silly.

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 12:02:26 PM »
Yea, this new page having the issues it does, and the old page finally shutting down, started a big hate thread towards WU. They have claimed that more decimal places will be added, and to their credit, some more decimal places have shown up in the last week.

With rain rate, they seem to use a floor function instead of rounding, so 0.99" per hour shows as 0" per hour.

Fingers crossed they get their stuff together and manage to bring WU back to its former glory.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 01:51:16 PM »
"New & Improved" bugs!
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 02:07:56 PM »
My Metebridge is reporting  every minute - very solid hardware.  But I should look into pointing to another wx repository, except there are so few stations in my area on anything else.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 03:23:39 PM »
This is who I send my data too. Plus my own backup MySQL database.

Offline KevinC63559

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 07:06:56 PM »
Eventually will break down and buy a meteohub.  Running the software in a VM under Windows 10 for a couple of years now.  Its OK, but too many pieces, too many things to go wrong (like the time stamp issue this weekend).

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 07:23:46 PM »
If you're thinking about changing how you broadcast the data, I've really enjoyed using Meteobridge. Used the TP-Link version for 3/4 of a year before getting the NanoSD (less wires to be a big mess around my router.

Offline KevinC63559

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 07:48:56 PM »
Thanks.  We are building a new house over the old one, so things are going to get moved around anyhow.  Wonder if I could sneak that past the wife as a "building expense" <smile>.

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 07:51:20 PM »
Thanks.  We are building a new house over the old one, so things are going to get moved around anyhow.  Wonder if I could sneak that past the wife as a "building expense" <smile>.

"What's another couple hundred on top of the thousands already babe?"
......... SLAP

Offline KevinC63559

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 01:40:41 AM »
Oh, for what its worth, I switched over to Metric where there are more digits of precision (mm/hour) and the rate information shows up just fine.

Seems silly that they only report inches/hour in whole units.