Author Topic: Systems ordered vs systems actually installed - W3DRM Thread on BO forum  (Read 831 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
I posted this in reply to the post over on the "internal" Blitzortung.org forum.

RE: Systems ordered vs systems actually installed
This is a good question. I suspect that there are a number of old Heathkits out there that were either partially assembled, or still sitting in the box (eBay?).

I think that the move towards manufacturing the complete PCB tested and ready to go will help adoption. Currently, the universe of participants is limited to Engineers, Technicians, Hams or Electronics Hobbyists with strong assembly and fabrication skills. I see photos of really scary-looking solder joints and the poor chap can't figure out why it doesn't work. Also, although I have known the resistor color code for decades, some of those color bands look very similar. I measure them with my DMM to confirm it. Many assemblers probably don't have a meter and put the wrong values in due to color-blindness, poor eyesight, lighting etc.

For adoption to increase this needs to be addressed. I think that there are a lot of people very interested in participating, but are overwhelmed or intimidated by the task of getting it soldered and assembled.

Having said that, would exposure at Ham Swap Meets, etc. get the word out to folks that are already experienced in soldering, building, etc.?

Greg

Are swap meets for Ham groups common around the country, especially out West? Here in Michigan there are some that I have been to. I am not a Ham myself, but I like to go and see what goodies I can pick up. It would be tough to demo at a swap due to noise I would think. Hams would have no trouble building the kit and making antennas, that is what they do all the time.

I have been thinking about how we could get people that can handle building the kit and fabricating boxes/antennas involved. It does require somewhat of a commitment of upkeep and computer/internet resources to keep it running.

The "Out West" problem is a real one, even the rest of the country could benefit from having more stations.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF