Author Topic: Chat Room  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
Chat Room
« on: August 31, 2014, 08:43:39 PM »
I was thinking that having a place where messages could be sent back-and-fourth quickly might be helpful in scenarios where people are trying to help-out others with something. I know the idea behind a forum is so that other people such as guests can read about whats been tried to resolve something. So maybe the way to do it would be to have each chat room tied to a specific forum thread in such a way that each of the chat room messages would be added to the forum thread as a post....maybe? or after all the users in that chat room have left, have it create a single forum post containing the transcript from the chat room.

What do you guys think?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Chat Room
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 09:02:02 PM »
I remember this topic brought up before with mixed results. :-)

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
Sounds like you're trying to create a Facebook group page.  I'm a member of several.  Plus we get notifications when a new posting is made.
Set up a Facebook group titled, "WxForumChat".
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 08:58:11 AM »
Not me! Not on Facecrook!  Took all my stuff down, after their last fiasco with privacy and attempts at user psychological manipulation...  best way to go for personal help is either OoVoo or Skype... or cell phones.  Or PM's... Remember Email?  Telephone?  or, if convenient, that old stand by - dropping in for a cup of coffee?????

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 09:08:45 AM »
I agree no chat room find other ways to communicate.

tweatherman

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 09:12:02 AM »
DanS,
That was my basic idea. I didn't realize that it was brought up before.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 09:40:02 AM »
DanS,
That was my basic idea. I didn't realize that it was brought up before.
Ain't much about features, etc, that hasn't been considered before at some point... .  Ken and the other admins got enough on their plates without moderating the security of chat rooms, galleries, music, movies, etc in addition to the current feature on this very active forum...  ](*,)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 10:44:19 AM »
What do you guys think?

I don't even know what you're talking about.  A chat room for each forum topic?  Isn't that what these threads are?  Posts can be made and replied to here in seconds.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 11:10:12 AM »
What do you guys think?

I don't even know what you're talking about.  A chat room for each forum topic?  Isn't that what these threads are?  Posts can be made and replied to here in seconds.

=D>

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 12:39:36 PM »
I had done some experimentation with the Weather-Display chat function (interactive with Brian) and it was useful for 1:1 debugging of problems (like instant messenger).  Trouble was, it was Flash based (so no iProducts), and was subject to a bunch of security vulnerabilities.  I decided to take a pass on adding chat as a function for security concerns.

I think postings in threads provide timely access and provide much of the feature set of a chat room without exposing us to another vulnerability.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 01:21:13 PM »
Not me! Not on Facecrook!  Took all my stuff down, after their last fiasco with privacy and attempts at user psychological manipulation...  best way to go for personal help is either OoVoo or Skype... or cell phones.  Or PM's... Remember Email?  Telephone?  or, if convenient, that old stand by - dropping in for a cup of coffee?????

Right on Mike. Just one reason why I never messed with that. If you want to get in touch with me call, email or Skype. Other than those 3 options I can't be found.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 06:19:43 PM »

Right on Mike. Just one reason why I never messed with that. If you want to get in touch with me call, email or Skype. Other than those 3 options I can't be found.
I do it all!  My GPS coordinates are published on my wx site, my # is in the phone book, I'm known as the house with a flag pole, my mail comes to my driveway, I text on my cell, a Skype acct, email is quick, but my main family/friends contact is Facebook.  It works for me.

Added:  If you don't do Facebook, how do you remember all those birthdays?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:03:15 AM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 w/12 hr FARS, solar/uv
    • Cumberland Valley Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »

I do it all! 

Should add Twitter, Google+ and linkedin. Social media is huge.
Ed
CoCoRaHS PA-CD-6,  Weather Underground KPAMECHA7, CWOP DW5425

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 11:18:08 PM »

I'm with you. I get enough electronic interaction/interruptions at work with email and Lync. Don't have any desire to use any of the popular social media outside of that. I'd rather get on my bike and ride. The other day I had to look for an email from work and set my phone to load 30 days worth. It was just shy of 1,000.  :mad:
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS
You will never find me on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media!!!

anything