Author Topic: Anybody running a MBPro  (Read 1127 times)

Offline stewart45

• Contributor
    • Newlands Weather Station
Anybody running a MBPro
« on: July 23, 2016, 05:47:54 PM »
Thinking of the red version and wondered if it is worth the money, wondered if anyone was running one and how reliable etc they were

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Anybody running a MBPro
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 05:53:51 PM »
I would say they are just as reliable as the standard MB. It really is down to what you expect from it.

I have the normal MB and I have it connected to my website where I log the data in my own database and have my own graphs etc. So having MB Pro would in my case be a waste of money. On the other hand, if you want an out-of-the box solution, which has some simple graphs, statistics and memory, then it you can invest more and have it.

I dont think you can say which one is better. They are for different customer groups.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 07:42:09 PM »
I have Red, Black and MR3020's. The MR3020 style has been around for a few years and have no issues, MBPro being a very new release have had a few teething problems but any issues are being reworked and fixed very quickly. With any device like this there will always be some initial and ongoing fixes. Even the Red and Black don't exhibit the same issues depending on how people are using them. As more and more users become involved the device will become better and better.

I doubt anybody would ever use all and every function the MBPro is capable of so will do/provide different things for different people. But you have to be impressed with what this little box can do.         

Offline plex

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 01:10:23 AM »
In the beginning of the year, I bought the red version, and replaced my old station with a Davis sensor suite (no console).

I'm not looking back, at my old Weather Display setup, running on a virtuel pc 24/7 wasting money on electric bills :grin:

The MB Pro has improved a lot since released, and today I think it's very stable. The only thing I missed migrating from WD, was the ability to do timelapse, but luckily a raspberry pi is a champion for that.

Offline stewart45

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 05:08:26 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone, food for thought

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 08:51:00 AM »
I have had a "red" one since the earliest you could order one from Ambient. The firmware has been steadily improved and I am satisfied with it now. I retired a MR3020 original meteobridge.

It is stable and working well. The MB Pro handles the routine weather uploads, but I use a meteohub (on Raspberry Pi) for special plots and data.

What was key for me was the multi ISS capability of both 'bridge Pro and 'hub.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline stewart45

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 11:45:39 AM »
I have run the 3020 for a while but kept going back to WD for the extra functionality, link with wxsim for forecasting and sending automated weather reports etc, but its always been a bit of a love/hate relationship until recently when I find if I try to upgrade WD to the latest version my temp defaults to =2.2c and stays there, which as we are in summer seems a bit extreme, it is also corrupting the log file with a similar, Brian couldn't find anything  so must be something in my setup, so basically was looking around for a simpler solution 

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 11:50:26 AM »
I have my MB connected to MR3020 as well. Ive had it like this for over 5 years now.

I never had any problems with it except about 3 times when there was a power outage, the device reset and I had to reset everything to factory defaults because it reset the wifi connection details etc. And that was sometimes a bit PIA because resetting the MR3020 can be quite tricky. It only has that one button, which sometimes just seems to be flashing absolutely randomly :D

anything