Author Topic: Sensor Instruments Nimbus Retrieval software?  (Read 2796 times)

Offline WX4GPS

• North Elkhorn Creek Weather Station
    • North Elkhorn Creek Weather Station
Sensor Instruments Nimbus Retrieval software?
« on: October 07, 2012, 10:07:45 PM »
I have had my Nimbus stuff stowed away for about 10 years, and recently pulled it and and thought about installing it, but I no longer have the software to retrieve the data off the machines with the serial port.  Does anyone know if this will even run on a windows 7 installation, I know it was like DOS I believe...  If I can still make use of it, if anyone has a working copy or a link to where it can be downloaded...  Maybe certain commands in a terminal program will pull the data...

Ron
<B>North Elkhorn Creek Weather Station</B><P>
Looking for vintage weather station documentation, available parts, and photographs for stations that are not produced anymore.   Please upload at groups.io/g/Weather.  Thank you!

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: Sensor Instruments Nimbus Retrieval software?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 11:26:31 PM »
Reviving an old topic.  I've been using an XP computer with HyperTerminal software to retrieve the data from the Nimbus RS-232 serial port.  That system failed recently and I've been trying to install HyperTerminal on Win8, Win7, etc.  Today, I downloaded and installed free hyperserialport which communicates with the comm port on the Nimbus PL Digital Thermometer.  Download from: www.hyperserialport.com  It seems to be easier to set up and use than HyperTerminal.  Data is stored in hsp format not as txt data files.  I have only 1 day experience with hyperserialport.
Does anyone have experience and a better method of extracting temperature data from the Nimbus?  Do you know of other comm port terminal software that replaces the HyperTerminal?  HyperTerminal is no longer included in Vista/Win7/Win8 and is sold for $65 & more.
Nimbus Commands:
at? downloads command summary
ats0 returns date  ats0=06/01/15 sets date to June 1, 2015
ats1 returns time  ats1=22:45     sets time to 10:45 pm
ath[1.....24] returns hourly readings
atd[1.....35] returns hourly readings for xx days
atm[1....35] returns max/mins & times for xx days
max number of days stored is 35.  I can provide a digital file copy of the Sensor Instruments manual.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 12:57:59 AM »
If you want (or just because you get used to it) you can still use old XP Hyper terminal. Just extract two files hypertrm.dll and hypertrm.exe. You can put them anywhere on the disk, no installation required. Of course, for that you need to have XP to extract files from.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 06:06:16 AM »
If you want (or just because you get used to it) you can still use old XP Hyper terminal. Just extract two files hypertrm.dll and hypertrm.exe. You can put them anywhere on the disk, no installation required. Of course, for that you need to have XP to extract files from.
Thanks.  I tried to make that work for several days.  I have a netbook XP and found the exe, dll, chm, hlp files tucked deep within windows.  I guess I didn't extract the files properly. 
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything