Author Topic: New wired station. Also with snow depth?  (Read 10806 times)

Offline adaptec

New wired station. Also with snow depth?
« on: March 07, 2009, 01:36:50 PM »
I'm considering a new weather station, replacing a Oregon WMR968. If so, the new weather station needs the following features:
x Inside console to view all parameters
x Compatible with Virtual Weather Station v14
x WIRED connection between the sensors and the weather station, cables needs to be LONG (min. 15m/50ft.)
x WIRED power supply
x Wind speed and direction
x Wind chill
x Temperature
x Barometer
x Humidity
x Must operate by itself 24h/365days
x If power loss it must of course reboot and work again automatically
x Metric units

Price is not an issue at all as long as it doesn't exceed approx. 2,000USD.
Rain is not important, but I'll mount it if it's included.

If there is a system to measure snow depth I'll strech the budget big time!

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
Re: New wired station. Also with snow depth?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 01:43:57 PM »
I'm curious why you are insisting on wired conections?

Have you looked over the Davis stations: http://www.davisnet.com/index.asp?  They have both wired and wireless and all your criteria are met by their VP2 stations.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 03:06:13 PM »
DAvis Vantage Pro wired will do just fine EXCEPT for snow.  FOr that you will have to use a third party system or roll your own, possibly through Dallas 1-Wire.  And it would not show on the console (if you had that but I'm guessing you would use the Envoy).  24/7/365 is a function of your computer, not the weather station.  Lots of options there.  HTH
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline adaptec

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 07:42:51 AM »
I'm curious why you are insisting on wired conections?
Because I have today an Oregon WMR968 and there isn't a sensor left that communicates with the console. There is nothing more stable than a physical wire between the sensor and the console.

Offline adaptec

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 07:54:11 AM »
I think the wired Davis VP2 will be the weather station for me.

Does anyone have a recommended system for measuring snow depth? The equipment are/will be placed here:

You don't see much today though :) But for the 150 cabins in the area plus two hotels with a 200 people capacity it would be a fun feature for the watchers to keep track of the snow depth and maybe with a history made by some kind of computer software.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 02:12:27 PM by adaptec »

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 08:23:11 AM »
A picture is worth a thousand words.  If you are posting your data on a webpage consider installing an inexpensive webcam focused on a vertical ruler to show the actual snow depth.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 09:48:56 AM »
The webcam/rule is a great idea.  Back that up with a rain gauge heater and do a water to snow conversion and you will have all the snow info you need.  The NWS uses Geonor devices and they ain't cheap!  Alternatively you can build an ultrasound snow gauge and hook that up.  But snow/water equiv. is a better idea in this case methinks.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 09:59:19 AM »
You really shouldn't form an opinion of Davis wireless devices, VP2, etc., based on an Oregon Scientific WMR968.  That's like deciding you won't buy a Mercedes because you once bought a Yugo and both are from Europe so both must have problems.

Edit: This is more a you-get-what-you-pay-for type of comparison. I'm sure that at its price level the OS WMR968 is a good station, but reducing a station's price point has to have some affect on the overall reliability.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 11:59:01 AM by d_l »
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 10:12:04 AM »
There is nothing more stable than a physical wire between the sensor and the console.

I agree with d_l 's last post.  In the past 20 months I have had zero communication problems with my wireless Davis unlike previous OS equipment.  There are certainly pros and cons to both setups.  I wanted the ease of installation that comes with wireless, and in fact I have changed the location of my ISS once, and will be moving the anemometer  in the next few weeks;  both would have been difficult had I gone wired.  If I lived in an area prone to severe thunderstorms I would only consider the wireless route.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 10:37:04 AM »
I've never had a communications problem with the 968.  The humidity sensor is junk, but the rest operates flawlessly.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 11:00:24 AM »
What's wrong with the humidity sensor? Have you played around with it to see if it can be improved? Good system shouldn't have to suffer if it can be repaired. Just wondering 'cause I came up against the same thing and made a big improvement (no help whatsoever to the 'tech support section' at LaCrosse. Sorry, sour subject there). I'd be glad to help if there's a chance.

Dan

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 12:37:13 PM »
One thing that is very nice about a wired VP is that it "never" has a signal problem and "never" has a battery and/or supercap issue, ever. It just runs.  ;)

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline adaptec

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 02:16:21 PM »
I'm not willing to discuss wireless or not. I've decided for WIRE this time, with no exception. It's not hard to install the wire where I'm having this webcam and weather station placed so for me it's wired and wired only. I can't afford risking 1000 bucks on a new wireless system that might not work for me, regardless of what your experiences are, sorry.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 03:09:06 PM »
Does anyone have a recommended system for measuring snow depth? The equipment are/will be placed here:

LOL

Humm, I would say a 10 foot pole with measured marks & a web cam. Your average yard stick ain't gonna cut it there!  ;)

Bob

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 03:19:57 PM »
I would agree with Adaptec that a wired unit is the way to go for this installation. From what I can see in the picture it may be the installation would be too far North or South to get a good solar cell charge due to the low sun angles.

Can you give us any idea of where this would be sited? Someone might be interested in renting one of your hotel rooms or cabins.

And, once you decide what Wx unit to get, let us know. Also, be certain to include a link to your website. I'm dying to see the stats from it.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 04:13:11 PM »

Offline dsscheibe

• Scott's Weather Station Cactus Wren, Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 12:32:23 AM »
I've never had a communications problem with the 968.  The humidity sensor is junk, but the rest operates flawlessly.

You will..  I had one before I bought a Davis Pro 2 WIRED because the 968 was always a problem, batteries dropping out of communication and you'd have to go take 6 small Phillips screws out of the sensor cover to get to the stupid reset button..
Scott
Davis Pro2 Plus daytime aspirated, wired
Weather Display