Author Topic: Your Weather Rooms  (Read 47494 times)

Offline richardmhowell

• Oswestry Weather
Your Weather Rooms
« on: February 02, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »
As i am just getting started in this hobby would any of you be willing to share a picture of your weather rooms?

Rich
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:41:45 PM by saratogaWX »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Your Weather Rooms
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 04:15:47 PM »
This was before I added the Davis VP2 station using the VUE console.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Wayne_R

• Contributor
  • Work'n & Smok'n
    • Patio World
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »
Just the basics.  Complete w/ children toys, window to look out of, computer, Vue Console, and not much else.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 05:57:14 PM »
Here are some pictures of my weather room.

Front door (The top and side papers are NWS storm spotter traning certificates)

Crookes radiometer I have this next to the window in the morning the sun shines on it the little whirly spins.

The layout. You can see the VP2, WMR200 and WS1910U-IT to the right hand side.

Bedside weather. I have my bed next to the stations so I can see what's going on outside before I get up. The backlighting of the VP2 and WMR200 double as night lights since they both run continous.

Computer with WeatherDisplay pulled up.

Probably not the best weather room but it does it's purpose.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:01:02 PM by mckTXaws »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »
mckTXaws: you pictures are marked private, so don;t show up for the rest of us. ;)

Here's my corner of the dining room. Far right behind the tea mug is the Davis Weather Envoy. On screen are the gauges, charts, and info from Lightsoft Weather Center (LWC2) as well as the two web cam live video via EvoCam. To the left is an old Airguide anaerobic barometer from 30 years ago. Under the black cloth on the mug in the windowsill is the Logitech webcam. An emergency solar-powered weather radio is beside it, and a First Alert weather radio just off screen to the left.

Out the window you see the bird feeders that are the second image on my web page. And you can sorta see the wooden swing frame, which supports the sailboat mast that my Sharx webcam is mounted on.

Here's a diagram I did when I was setting up the system from the outside showing where I am.

And of course the rest of the system is in the garden (but you've seen that image often enough...)

Lot's more images here http://smorris.smugmug.com/Weather
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »
mckTXaws: you pictures are marked private, so don;t show up for the rest of us. ;)

Here's my corner of the dining room. Far right behind the tea mug is the Davis Weather Envoy. On screen are the gauges, charts, and info from Lightsoft Weather Center (LWC2) as well as the two web cam live video via EvoCam. To the left is an old Airguide anaerobic barometer from 30 years ago. Under the black cloth on the mug in the windowsill is the Logitech webcam. An emergency solar-powered weather radio is beside it, and a First Alert weather radio just off screen to the left.

Out the window you see the bird feeders that are the second image on my web page. And you can sorta see the wooden swing frame, which supports the sailboat mast that my Sharx webcam is mounted on.

Here's a diagram I did when I was setting up the system from the outside showing where I am.

And of course the rest of the system is in the garden (but you've seen that image often enough...)

Thanks. Funny thing your pictures are don't show up either. Your talking about the red X at the top left corner?

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 06:22:49 PM »

I went and searched WXforum on my phone which doesn't have my loggin and both yours and my photos show up but we can't see eachothers photos when logged in? That's strange.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 06:24:29 PM »
I meant the pictures of your weather stuff. I right-click, open in new window, and it went to Flickr but said they were private and needed to be logged in to see them. They work fine now, though.

Mine don't show up? :( There's in my public gallery on SmugMug.
Steve - Avon, Ohio

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
IDK it works on my phone so I assume that issue is with my computer.

Also Smorris, I saw your Enews article on the Davis web site. Cool! Davis really seems impressed so am I. I found your photo on my phone.
 http://www.davisnet.com/news/enews/index.asp Tech tips Garden Vantage Pro2 sited right.

Also, are you going to take up Davis's recommendation on adding a leaf/soil station?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:31:29 PM by mckTXaws »

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »
Previously this was my work station. Then I sold two old PCs and one laptop to consolidate all activities into one new computer. I miss the multiple screens though. :sad:

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 07:47:49 PM »
Also, are you going to take up Davis's recommendation on adding a leaf/soil station?

I don't know. Should I? http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=14537.0
Steve - Avon, Ohio

Offline MaxHawkins

• Max Hawkins
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 07:57:18 PM »
Sorry for the darkness. The Vantage Vue console is mounted on the wall above the left monitor.

Davis Vantage Vue - Cumulus - Weather Underground ICARMART10

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 10:28:30 PM »
Welcome friends, to the glamorous HQ of DonkeyTail Weather...

The console is located at the busiest spot in the house, near the cell-phone chargers and the analog phone, viewable from the eating-area table.  There is a USB-Xpress above the light switch.  The Cat-6 cable and extended power cable for the USBX (back to the UPS) penetrate the wall through a smallish (2cm) hole behind the stove cabinet and into the surface-mount wiremold in the panty/network closet.  The laptop is dedicated to WeatherLink (for now) and not usually running the bulletin or anything else.  Lid always closed/backlight off.  The demarc for cable and phone is here, so I made this the network closet when I built the house 13 years ago, slapped together from work-leftovers.  Since the circuit for the freezer high-capacity cooling system is on my backup generator panel, I have a small conditioner/UPS running the show.  Internet access was the saving grace when the power was out for a week recently, since only essentials (well, septic, furnace, fridge, freezer, bathroom and kitchen lights) are on the generator.  At least when the CABLE was working (it gets hit too occasionally).

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 07:37:44 AM »
Here is mine, added a new weather pc since then, but pretty much the same.

Rest of my station pix can be seen here.
http://www.mackweather.com/wxpixstation.php

Andrew

ps: red x's and missing jpgs.  I have noticed at work, they have added a new firewall block. images hosted on sites like imgur.com, f.cl.ly and similar sites either dont fully load, are missing completely or are red x'd.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline richardmhowell

• Oswestry Weather
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 07:39:20 AM »
Awesome stations, great insperation.

I really want to get mine setup now :)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 05:35:43 PM »

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 11:32:14 PM »
Big screen!

Got a new big screen TV used as a computer monitor. This is I think a 27"

Sorry for the dark picture.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 11:14:53 AM »
Aardvark has finally taken the lead here by showing a working weather room, not an area tidily manicured for a promotional picture.  At last I can admit to my sloth.

Panorama of Computer/Entertainment Room with Weather Area on Left and Internet Hub on Right.  I won't bore you with any more messy details.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 11:53:28 AM »
Aardvark has finally taken the lead here by showing a working weather room, not an area tidily manicured for a promotional picture.  At last I can admit to my sloth.

Ouch! Mine was probably one of the more "manicured" images, so I'll assume I'm included in that slam. I can assure you that my desk always looks like that. Always! The only time something is on the desk, is when I'm working on it, and it is put away when I'm done. In 30 years of engineering work, there was never a day that went by that my desk was not spotless at the end of the day. Call me a neat-freak, anal retentive, or whatever, but I take pride in keeping my space like this.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 01:11:30 PM »

Ouch! Mine was probably one of the more "manicured" images, so I'll assume I'm included in that slam. I can assure you that my desk always looks like that. Always! The only time something is on the desk, is when I'm working on it, and it is put away when I'm done. In 30 years of engineering work, there was never a day that went by that my desk was not spotless at the end of the day. Call me a neat-freak, anal retentive, or whatever, but I take pride in keeping my space like this.

Steve

Sorry!  :oops:  I didn't mean to offend those among us who are steadfastly tidy.  I find myself leaving things around so I can easily find them when I need them, and the stuff just accumulates of its own accord.  I should have posted a smiley to let you know that the slam was actually for myself, not you.  Some would say my web site has the same appearance. :shock:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:14:23 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 01:16:10 PM »
All's cool! Thanks.
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 01:47:46 PM »
I like all the pictures but i must say when i see a desk that clean all i can think about is all the wasted room that i could have stuff sitting on lol. :lol:

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 06:35:09 PM »
I like all the pictures but i must say when i see a desk that clean all i can think about is all the wasted room that i could have stuff sitting on lol. :lol:

:D I'll tempt you some more and then back on topic. I worked in engineering for 30 years doing drafting and then CAD work. Inevitably, when someone who didn't know my habits would come to my cubicle, they'd ask if I ever did anything. I told them that everything was either in my he'd or on the computer. I didn't need anything on my desk. :)

Here was my cube. It was exactly the same on the right, but had no overhead cabinet and had an additional 4-foot of desk space. I'd have drawings, notes or castings out, but that's about it. At the end of the day, it was bare.

However, my wife is a slob, with stuff everywhere. We're like the Odd Couple. :)

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 07:19:22 PM »

:D I'll tempt you some more and then back on topic. I worked in engineering for 30 years doing drafting and then CAD work. Inevitably, when someone who didn't know my habits would come to my cubicle, they'd ask if I ever did anything. I told them that everything was either in my he'd or on the computer. I didn't need anything on my desk. :)

However, my wife is a slob, with stuff everywhere. We're like the Odd Couple. :)

Steve

I was the same way, Felix, neatness was mandatory when I was in the Air Force. Not as much after getting out though. ;)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 12:47:36 AM »
I used to be a neat freak as well.  Everything had a special place to be set, everything even major appliances vacuumed and cleaned even underneath and behind regularly etc.  But with age I've got away from that some.  The problem is complicated by the fact I don't like to throw anything away I might be able to put to use or fix or modify into something else at a later date.  One day I came to the realization I was spending all my free time and then some sorting, cleaning and organizing.   #-o  Slowly I'm turning over a new leaf by keeping less things to clean and not worrying so much if cleaning has to be put off until another time.  I'm even subscribing somewhat to the out of site, out of mind version of cleaning.   ;)  There's only so many hours in the day and one has to set down and just enjoy the fruit of your labor sometime.   :lol:

As for the weather computer there is really not much to see now.  The netbook sets on an old flower stand in a bedroom under the window with the weather cam next to the VP console.  Next to it is the old portable scanner feeding NOAA radio to Weather Underground.  I do all the software maintenance via VNC from my laptop over my wireless home network while sitting in my recliner in front of the TV and next to the police scanner.  No more hovering over a desk for me as far as the weather operation goes.   ;)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

anything