Author Topic: Davis VP2 vs Rainwise MK III  (Read 8291 times)

Offline Revtoe35

Davis VP2 vs Rainwise MK III
« on: February 20, 2016, 07:42:43 AM »
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.  I sort of wish I would have discovered the forum prior to ordering my weather station.  I ordered the WU Rainwise MK III Special.  After reading this forum it seems most folks have the Davis VP2.  I'm just curious on why so many have the VP2.  I will say one of the reasons I selected the Rainwise was its made in the USA.  I know this has no impact on the data but if I have a choice I go with made in the USA.  I hope to receive the Rainwise next week and will continue to read the forum to get it installed properly.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Davis VP2 vs Rainwise MK III
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 08:38:18 AM »
Welcome to the Forum. There are plenty of people here that have Rainwise. There is a Rainwise area as well.
Although I am a Davis owner, I see nothing wrong with your purchase. I don't have direct familiarity with Rainwise, but it seems to be of comparable quality, in some aspects like the rain gauge may be better.

By the way, Davis is made in the USA, just on the other coast....

Greg H.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:33:04 PM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 11:49:35 AM »
Might post here, http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=71.0

What Miraculon said. What you get with Davis for the price makes an easy decision for most myself included.
My Vantage Pro2 is 5 years old. Some folks have had theirs for 10 years.

I'm not familiar with Rainwise either so I can't speak about them.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 01:21:20 PM »
I will say one of the reasons I selected the Rainwise was its made in the USA.  I know this has no impact on the data but if I have a choice I go with made in the USA. 

What makes you think the Davis Stations aren't also made in the USA? They are made in Hayward California. Here is their statement.

In business since 1963, we opened up the home weather station market back in 1989. The competition has appeared only within the last few years. Unlike the competition, we manufacture our weather stations right here in Hayward, California, and have a full customer service and support staff. Most of the competing weather stations are made overseas. And it can be difficult (if not next to impossible) to get any kind of customer service or technical support from these companies.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 01:45:31 PM »
Sorry Greg I see you also posted where Davis stations are made. I've heard this before and I think because Rainwise talks about where their stations are made and Davis doesn't people just assume this.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 02:15:36 PM »
I think RW makes a fine PWS. They were my other choice 10 years ago before deciding on the VP2.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 03:46:46 PM »
Not familiar with RW as I use the Davis Vantage Pro 2. My setup is ten years old and showing its age on two fronts. First, my station's data (rainfall and barometric pressure in particular) aren't as accurate as they used to be so I need to send the station back to Davis for a refurbishment. The second front is the station itself. Since I bought my unit, Davis has made very few improvements to the Vantage Pro 2. The accompanying software (Weatherlink) looks and feels very dated like it was designed for use by Windows 3.1! Then the console is dated too--gray scale, no color, and does not use Bluetooth or WiFi when communicating with the computer, and I have trouble maintaining a solid connection to the computer using the USB interface, although based on other users, I might be in the minority on this issue. In short, if RW can post to CWOP and WeatherUnderground like the Vantage Pro 2, you should be happy with your purchase.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:12:29 PM by Ronaldpippin »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 07:39:42 PM »
I have a lot of different stations, and there is no perfect one, believe me.

I like the Rainwise, it is open to doing some self repair perhaps a wee bit better than the Davis.  The Mark III is built very solidly, but like all good stuff, both cost a bit more than we'd all like.

I think that the options to hang more stuff on the station as time goes by contest gets won by Davis.

I have excellent range with the III, and the display consoles are nice to read, compared to the impossible to read, even with the light on, Davis (I keep a flashlight nearby  to see mine, others might have better eyesight than I do.)

You can get a wired Davis if you want.  Both the Davis and Rainwise have frozen in sleet and wet heavy snow.

All in all, I would generally say the Rainwise is a bit more of a tank than the VP is, more options and places to spend your money on a Davis, including using remote wind sensors including non-Davis such as RM Young if you have the bucks.

For some, the whole thing is getting a station on the air, then hooking to internet to participate in sharing.  You look at the online data with your favorite viewer rather than see the consoles across the room, or in the dark.  I do that a little, but I like to glance up when a gust shudders the house to see what the speed was, not grab my smartphone to go to the page to see what's up.

Like I said, no one has marketed the perfect station yet, but the good news is we have several very accurate, very dependable, US built to choose from.  I like supporting them all.  A sad day if one by one these higher end higher functioning stations drop out because there isn't enough market to support them all.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 07:58:47 PM »
I have a lot of different stations, and there is no perfect one, believe me.

I like the Rainwise, it is open to doing some self repair perhaps a wee bit better than the Davis.  The Mark III is built very solidly, but like all good stuff, both cost a bit more than we'd all like.

I think that the options to hang more stuff on the station as time goes by contest gets won by Davis.

I have excellent range with the III, and the display consoles are nice to read, compared to the impossible to read, even with the light on, Davis (I keep a flashlight nearby  to see mine, others might have better eyesight than I do.)

You can get a wired Davis if you want.  Both the Davis and Rainwise have frozen in sleet and wet heavy snow.

All in all, I would generally say the Rainwise is a bit more of a tank than the VP is, more options and places to spend your money on a Davis, including using remote wind sensors including non-Davis such as RM Young if you have the bucks.

For some, the whole thing is getting a station on the air, then hooking to internet to participate in sharing.  You look at the online data with your favorite viewer rather than see the consoles across the room, or in the dark.  I do that a little, but I like to glance up when a gust shudders the house to see what the speed was, not grab my smartphone to go to the page to see what's up.

Like I said, no one has marketed the perfect station yet, but the good news is we have several very accurate, very dependable, US built to choose from.  I like supporting them all.  A sad day if one by one these higher end higher functioning stations drop out because there isn't enough market to support them all.
Nailed it.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 08:16:38 PM »
Great comments, DaleReid!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 07:57:08 AM »
My take on Rainwise stations. Over twice as expensive after adding the $495 console with limited instruments vs Davis, no FARS which I think is essential. Having the temperature and anemometer together is an undesirable for me. I've heard it can be separated somehow but not sure how and at what expense.

Davis stations IMO are the best bang for the buck unless a pretty console display is all that matters and if so get the pocket book out they cost extra $495. 

Full blown Davis with FARS including weatherlink and data logger through Scaled Instruments $676.
Randy

Offline Revtoe35

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 09:01:41 AM »
I appreciate all the information.  I guess I didn't do my homework on this one.  Rain wise is on the way.  I'm just going to install it and try to enjoy it.  Looking forward to the advice and assistance.  I also see I posted this in the wrong topic area.  No excuse on my part!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:11:28 AM by Revtoe35 »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 09:41:09 AM »
Its only natural to use our hard earned dollars to get 'the best'.  Yet what is the best for one, isn't always for another, or isn't affordable.

Chevy and Mopar and maybe even Ford have fought long and hard to have loyal followers for their products, especially muscle cars.  And we don't all marry the same woman or husband, since that is supposed to be one for one. 

Until we see the little silhouette character on someone's back window of Calvin peeing on a Rainwise or Davis, we've kept this civil.  However I'm thinking of selling bumper  stickers that say "Friends don't let Friends install (Rainwise|Davis|Peet Brothers|Texas Weather Intruments, your choice)".

I am absolutely sure you'll enjoy your product and feel free to post followups, or opinions, since all of us here have opinions. No second guessing!
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 01:53:50 PM »
no FARS which I think is essential.
Frankly, I had forgotten that. I'll bet it was the primary reason I choose the Davis over the RW 10 years ago.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 03:17:49 PM »
And the FARS model adds what to a weather station? Improved temperature accuracy of less than one degree in normal situations?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 03:24:35 PM by Ronaldpippin »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 03:22:15 PM »
no FARS which I think is essential.
Frankly, I had forgotten that. I'll bet it was the primary reason I choose the Davis over the RW 10 years ago.

My first Rainwise was in the 80's WS-1000 with the extra printer. I had stacks of paper with weather data, oh how computers have changed things. Soon after we got a 386XT 50 megs of ram computer.
The WS-1000 sensors started going bad around the time the Davis Weather Monitor II came out and have never looked back.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 03:24:21 PM »
And the FARS model adds what to a weather station? Improved accuracy of less than one degree in normal situations?

Adds nothing to the $667 price. I've seen aspiration vs non as much as 6F degrees at time.

I should add this includes the needed data logger software for internet uploads.

Davis 6153 – Wireless Vantage Pro2 with 24-Hour Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield –  $765.00  ($559.00)
Davis 6510USB – Weatherlink USB Port – $148.50  ($117.00 )
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 03:34:49 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »
And the FARS model adds what to a weather station? Improved accuracy of less than one degree in normal situations?
In my neck of the woods when the wind is light, the neighbors VP2 can read as much as 5 degrees higher than mine, all day, every day.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 08:02:44 PM »
Weather valentine. Where do you get the Davis 6153 for $559 and Davis 6510USB for $117?

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 08:16:22 PM »
"Weather valentine. Where do you get the Davis 6153 for $559 and Davis 6510USB for $117?"

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/discount-price-list/

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 08:31:07 PM »
I should add I've ran into special deals not listed on the discount price list.  Ryan is good to work with and very helpful.
Here is something I just ordered a week ago at special price, 1/2 retail list, turned out to just a spare I didn't need it after using some contact cleaner.  :oops:

Discount Price list: Davis 7345.976 – PCBA for Wireless Pro2 ISS or ISS Plus, US – $157.50  ($121.50)
Special price: Davis 7345.976 - PCBA for Pro2 Wireless ISS or ISS Plus, US × 1 $88.50
Randy

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 11:19:07 PM »
I appreciate all the information.  I guess I didn't do my homework on this one.  Rain wise is on the way.  I'm just going to install it and try to enjoy it.  Looking forward to the advice and assistance.  I also see I posted this in the wrong topic area.  No excuse on my part!

Curious. How is your Rainwise working out for you?

Offline Revtoe35

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 07:00:24 AM »
I'm very pleased.  There is one little issue that bugs me sometimes but I believe it is more from the mounting of my station.  When the temp is 40 or above my temperature reading is spot on with other stations in my area.  When the temperature gets in the mid to low 30s my reading is always 3-4 degrees colder.  As the temperature warms I'm spot on with other stations.  I've thought about changing the location at see what happens.  All in all I'm very pleased.  No mechanical or maintenance issues at all.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 01:10:11 PM »
That could be from your micro clime if your lower then the other stations..

John

anything