Author Topic: Spotter Activation needed- I rarely here the nws say that.  (Read 3760 times)

Offline groze

I was listening tonight (05-24-11) on my nws weather radio (Indianapolis office).  They said spotter activation will be needed for Wednesday (05-25-11).   The NWS rarely says it will be needed.  They usually say maybe needed or will not be needed.   I just hope Indiana does not get those EF-5 Tornadoes or any Tornadoes.  The way the tv weather people talk,  the storms are suppose to come after 1 p.m.  (05-25-11) and some could be severe.   I also wonder if Indiana will be upgraded to a high risk area.

Mod, if wrong forum please move.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Re: Spotter Activation needed- I rarely here the nws say that.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 08:38:12 PM »
we here in wv also have the chance for severe weather for the next 3 days according to the nws convective outlook.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:20:50 PM »
   The SKYWARN here has never said that either that I have ever seen.  As you say they usually say "maybe" needed.  That is even several hours before a watch let alone a day in advance.  But the atmospheric setup for this is so classic that it is fairly easy to see it coming.  Dr Forbes said this is "exactly" the situation he used when he was a professor teaching.
   Mark

Offline groze

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 10:32:04 PM »
  The SKYWARN here has never said that either that I have ever seen.  As you say they usually say "maybe" needed.  That is even several hours before a watch let alone a day in advance.  But the atmospheric setup for this is so classic that it is fairly easy to see it coming.  Dr Forbes said this is "exactly" the situation he used when he was a professor teaching.
   Mark

That maybe a first for the National Weather Service office to say that but I am not positive.   That is why I am a little concern.  I heard people died even in the basement of buildings.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:50:43 PM by groze »