Author Topic: WeatherLink 6.05 Now Free  (Read 9634 times)

Offline KD4PYR

• Weather Conditions at Union KY
WeatherLink 6.05 Now Free
« on: December 19, 2018, 09:36:50 PM »
Received an email from Davis.  If you are registered on WeatherLink.com you can now download the full version on the WeatherLink PC software for free.

Rick

From the newsletter:

◦Create your free WeatherLink account on WeatherLink.com.
◦Using the username and password you just set up, log in. (You will have the option to upgrade your WeatherLink.com account to Pro or Pro+, but this is not necessary. Click Get Started under the Basic column.)
◦The Davis Instruments WeatherLink Bulletin Dashboard will appear. On the right side of the screen, under your name, click the account icon (it looks like a person).
◦Click Computer Software and download.
◦Once downloaded, set up your WeatherLink Computer Software by adding your station (File > New Station).  Use the Walkthrough Setup feature, or refer to the WeatherLink Getting Started Guide to set up your station in your software.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: WeatherLink 6.05 Now Free
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 11:08:00 PM »
Essentially WeatherLink has always been free, came packaged with every logger made and if one knew where to look was always freely downloadable.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 11:45:23 PM »
Essentially WeatherLink has always been free, came packaged with every logger made and if one knew where to look was always freely downloadable.
It ain't free if you had to pay for it, which is HOW it was obtained, as part of the whole SW & HW (buffer) package.

Glad to see it's now "gratis"...but it also asks the question: "Why?"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 11:48:06 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 11:52:57 PM »
Free WL 6.05 is worth exactly what it costs.  ;)  (I cannot ever imagine paying$25 for it as was the case  in the day)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 03:42:30 AM »
It ain't free if you had to pay for it, which is HOW it was obtained, as part of the whole SW & HW (buffer) package.

What you paid for was always considered to be the logger hardware with the software then included gratis. The only way you had to pay for software was if you wanted a new CD, where there was some small cost associated with manufacturing/stocking/selling a different SKU.

Well, three fairly obvious reasons:

1. (The main one) Macs no longer seem to have built-in CD drives at all and PCs are increasingly going down the same road. So supplying software on a CD isn't much use. Guess they could have switched to supply on eg a USB stick, but probably not cost-effective.

2. Development of local WL has largely ceased (other than compatibility tweaks it seems).

3. (I'd like to think) Pressure from dealers dealing with support calls as a result of [1] and also from users who have lost their CD or who, for all sorts of reasons, are having trouble installing WL on a new PC. Making WL a free download goes a long way to solving many of these issues and simply removes a pointless support overhead.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 06:38:45 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 11:30:10 AM »

Not disagreeing with what johnd wrote - and not complaining - but:

1.  It's not free.  You supplied your name, address, email address, station location, etc. to be able to get it.  That information is valuable to Davis, and potentially to other companies. $$$

2.  The supplied documentation is the "Weatherlink Software GETTING STARTED Guide", which doesn't describe nearly all of the capabilities of the Weatherlink software (at least version 6.0.3, .4, and presumably the "updater" version of 6.0.5).  [Of course, the complete 6.0.4 guide is (currently) available on the Davisnet site].

3.  The capabilities of "free" version 6.0.6, etc. could well change - as well as the restrictions.  [For instance - 3rd party logger compatibility].

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 12:18:00 PM »
Well, it's barely worth the time to quibble, but:

1.  It's not free.  You supplied your name, address, email address, station location, etc. to be able to get it.  That information is valuable to Davis, and potentially to other companies. $$$

Certainly as things stand at present, you can just register a dummy account at wl.com (ie your preferred username and pw, and IIRC you don't even need a working email address, just a credible dummy. No other details needed. So I'd personally class that as free. Of course things might change in the future.

2.  The supplied documentation is the "Weatherlink Software GETTING STARTED Guide", which doesn't describe nearly all of the capabilities of the Weatherlink software (at least version 6.0.3, .4, and presumably the "updater" version of 6.0.5).  [Of course, the complete 6.0.4 guide is (currently) available on the Davisnet site].

Well the online Help is included with the download and is typically not updated with minor updates. I really don't see the availability of the documentation changing - Davis have bigger fish to fry and I reckon WL will gradually fade into the background anyway. BICBW of course.

3.  The capabilities of "free" version 6.0.6, etc. could well change - as well as the restrictions.  [For instance - 3rd party logger compatibility].

Yes, it's possible, but again I really don't think it's likely. As above, the current WL version and indeed the present loggers will presumably gradually become obsolete as newer products with eg new APIs are introduced.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 12:40:55 PM »
Certainly, some of the accounts may be "fake".  And full .pdf documentation for 6.0.4 is available.

So, technically, what changed between 6.0.4 and 6.0.5?

(I don't consider that a quibble)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 01:18:03 PM »
Certainly, some of the accounts may be "fake".  And full .pdf documentation for 6.0.4 is available.

That's something I didn't know (short of using an external CHM to PDF converter). Do you have a link please?

Sorry, I don't know - haven't seen a change-log yet. My speculation was just an update to some internal libraries, but that's just a guess.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 02:07:28 PM »
....  And full .pdf documentation for 6.0.4 is available.

That's something I didn't know (short of using an external CHM to PDF converter). Do you have a link please?

Sorry - I stated that incorrectly.  The "Getting Started" guide for 6.0.4 is available online.  I haven't compared it with the one for 6.0.5

Quote from: dalecoy

Quote from: johnd
Sorry, I don't know - haven't seen a change-log yet. My speculation was just an update to some internal libraries, but that's just a guess.

If I was being paranoid, I would worry about (for instance) the new (6.0.5 or later) software uploading a lot of additional information, available on the computer where it is installed, to the Weatherlink.com website for use by Davis and others to whom Davis sells it.  Think "all email addresses" or perhaps "physical location of the computer" or perhaps "passwords" or "other software installed on the computer". 

Or even adding "secret" software to the computer.

But it is free - all you have to do is "sign" the agreement.....

Please understand - I'm not saying that Davis is doing anything wrong or covert - just stating things that folks might wonder about.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 02:13:58 PM »
The size of the "full install" for WeatherLink 6.0.4 is 12.472 Kilobytes.

The size of the "full install" for WeatherLink 6.0.5 is   8.352 Kilobytes.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 02:14:56 PM »

If I was being paranoid, I would worry about (for instance) the new (6.0.5 or later) software uploading a lot of additional information, available on the computer where it is installed, to the Weatherlink.com website for use by Davis and others to whom Davis sells it.  Think "all email addresses" or perhaps "physical location of the computer" or perhaps "passwords" or "other software installed on the computer". 

Or even adding "secret" software to the computer.

Yes, I guess that's a possibility. But then isn't the same true of every single piece of software you might use? So: computers are great......as long as you never install and use any software on them. :shock:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:18:25 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline ranordsieck

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 09:39:17 PM »
I have registered on Weatherlink.com and gone to the website. I found no option labelled "Get Started" under the Basic column, and   when I clicked on get updates, I am just sent back to the same set of packages - I actually don't even understand what the are. It looks like the whole website is directed at people who have their own weather web pages. I do not. I just want to be able to migrate my historical data and my serial data logger (Weather Monitor II) from Windows 98SE to Windows 7.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 04:00:56 AM »
I just want to be able to migrate my historical data and my serial data logger (Weather Monitor II) from Windows 98SE to Windows 7.

What makes you think that weatherlink.com has anything to do with such a transfer?

Run a current version of Weatherlink for Windows on your Win7 machine and look in the Help for how to copy existing data files from your old PC to the new one. (Or if AND ONLY IF if you were running eg v4 of Weatherlink previously then look at how to Import data files in the old format).
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 05:14:30 AM »
I just want to be able to migrate my historical data and my serial data logger (Weather Monitor II) from Windows 98SE to Windows 7.

What makes you think that weatherlink.com has anything to do with such a transfer?

BECAUSE that's where one can now DOWNLOAD the current version of WeatherLink Computer Software for free ... at WeatherLink.com. If you are aware of another link then please provide that link to help the person out

Obviously the person is in the right place to DOWNLOAD the current WeatherLink version but just maybe Davis won't let the person do that because they don't have a stupid bloody account????

How about some real help here, some simple links to WL versions this person may require, the person's request for some help is fairly simple?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:16:51 AM by Mattk »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 05:28:54 AM »
OK, so you think that what the OP is after is a download link for the latest version of Weatherlink for Windows (even though they don't say that anywhere)? OK, well see:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/download-weatherlink-program

There is also a direct download link floating around somewhere, but that link has a tendency to change without notice.

Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 05:40:12 AM »
OK, so you think that what the OP is after is a download link for the latest version of Weatherlink for Windows (even though they don't say that anywhere)? OK, well see:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/download-weatherlink-program

There is also a direct download link floating around somewhere, but that link has a tendency to change without notice.

Well that was certainly my impression, looking on WeatherLink.com for the WL download as that is certainly where it is currently flagged.

And yes there is a direct download link but it has become so obscure and basically inaccessible from within the Davis website I can't even find it at the moment which makes one ask the question why? There has always been that air of secrecy re access to WeatherLink software, access to upgrades and access to full versions etc
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:46:19 AM by Mattk »

Offline ranordsieck

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 08:56:38 PM »
Gentlemen: I am sorry to have stirred up a hornet's nest! Please excuse my ignorance; I am new to this forum website and unschooled in the world of the latest Weatherlink software.  While doing a Google search into how one gets from Weatherlink 4 and windows 98 to a Weatherlink program that might work with my Weather Monitor II data logger and Windows 7, I ran across the old post (to which my response was addressed) which seemed to mention how one does this. It sent me to the Weatherlink.com website which I found difficult to navigate, and said so.

Please, I could use some advice on how to solve my actual problem. I have already downloaded (free) and tried to install Weatherlink 6.03, per instructions, into a folder on my Windows 7 machine which contains the old executable file for Weatherlink 4 (named PCLINK4.exe). That attempt failed with the message, "WeatherLink installation not complete. Possibly upgraded to the wrong folder." Perhaps the installer detected that Weatherlink 4 was not actually "installed" on the new machine, but that is because you CAN'T install it under Windows 7. Or maybe the download I got was only an upgrade and lacks stuff it is supposed to get from the old installation. I don't know! It just seems logical that there should be a procedure for me to install this new version and direct it to my data stream arriving via my serial port, and hopefully allow me to see all my old data files, as well (nearly 20 years worth). Any help would be greatly appreciated, but please try to feed it to me gently. I am technically savvy, but jargon challenged.

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
WeatherLink 6.05 Now Free
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 09:04:31 PM »
1. Go to WeatherLink.com
2. Sign in and if you don’t have an account you’ll need to crest one.
3. Clink on the man icon > Computer Software
4. Download the Full Version 6.05 or Update version as applicable

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 09:18:23 PM »
Do you have all your V4 files (20 years worth) in that PCLINK4 directory? These will be files with an extension relative to your station name/Id etc which is a different file/extension to what WeatherLink uses today and why you will have to convert them, but first you have to install the current WeatherLink. So yes first things first download that V6.05 as per above and do a completely new/fresh install totally ignoring and not using any existing weather directory. I would completely archive the old PCLINK4 directory including all the monthly data files and put it somewhere safe.

When you have V6.05 loaded then open WeatherLink, under the [File] tab there is an option to [Import Database files], but first open Help>Help Topics>Menu Commands>File Menu>Import data Files and read it to understand what is going on.       

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 06:40:32 PM »
Just downloaded & installed on 2 PC's

Wondering where the settings are stored?

What I've done is installed on my Weather PC, which periodically connects to the console & downloads.

My main PC has W: mapped to \\Weather-PC\WeatherLink (Shared C:\WeatherLink).

I can open my station data fine, but I don't get my normal plot by default.

Assume those things might be stored in the registry?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 03:38:31 AM »
I doubt that WL is able to run as a network resource/application in the way you seem to be attempting. Might be easier to use eg Windows Remote Desktop or Teamviewer-type software.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 06:03:11 PM »
I doubt that WL is able to run as a network resource...

It seems quite happy to access a station by a mapped drive; single user mode only of course.

The network PC's only access the station data, don't connect to the console.
I have the Weather PC closing Cumulus a few times a day, & just launching Weatherlink in the download mode (/d option).

Main reason I do this it to look over the ET trends that aren't logged in Cumulus.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:05:11 PM by Phil23 »

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2019, 12:10:38 PM »
I've been running 6.03 for a while now. Hopefully they make everything smooth between the versions?