Author Topic: Any tips for setting up a Bloomsky account?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Any tips for setting up a Bloomsky account?
« on: January 14, 2017, 12:01:33 PM »
I got my Bloomsky Sky2 and have charged the battery.  I am ready to try and follow the rather cryptic instructions to turn on bluetooth and create my Bloomsky account and name my station.  Are there any pitfalls or confusing steps that I should look out for?  Any recommendations for choosing an account name and/or station name? 

I ask because most WU station names are maddeningly uninformative.  A name like "Swallow Hill" doesn't tell me anything about where the station is sited as to city or even state.  The Bloomsky map seems to be better at this, so maybe I shouldn;t worry about it?  Thanks.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Re: Any tips for setting up a Bloomsky account?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 12:03:20 PM »
I got my Bloomsky Sky2 and have charged the battery.  I am ready to try and follow the rather cryptic instructions to turn on bluetooth and create my Bloomsky account and name my station.  Are there any pitfalls or confusing steps that I should look out for? 

First question:  these directions refer to the Bloomsky app.  I assume I have to download this to my phone and install?

Second, any recommendations for choosing an account name and/or station name? 

I ask because most WU station names are maddeningly uninformative.  A name like "Swallow Hill" doesn't tell me anything about where the station is sited as to city or even state.  The Bloomsky map seems to be better at this, so maybe I shouldn;t worry about it?  Thanks.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 04:41:54 PM »
Well, that was easy.  I think I read of some installation issues with the Sky1.  All I can say is that the installation and setup of my Sky2 could not have been easier.  It was up and running and on the Bloomsky map in about 5 minutes.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 09:31:03 AM »
First data from Bloomsky Sky2 about 18 hours after installation compared with my Rainwise:

Rainwise MkIII         Bloomsky Sky2

Temp               20*F                       20*F
Humidity          91%                        89%
Pressure          30.29 inHg                30.27 inHg

Not too bad.  My only first-world problems this morning are that the Sky2 camera is covered with frost presenting a fuzzy image and the Bloomsky time is 5 minutes slow.  Is there a way to adjust that, or are their servers permanently running on California time?.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 11:29:02 AM »
I know the first one were every 5 minutes. Sounds like these are too.
As for the frost, had the same problem with dew here. Just have to wait until it melts.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 04:45:38 PM »
I know the first one were every 5 minutes. Sounds like these are too.
As for the frost, had the same problem with dew here. Just have to wait until it melts.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  The time posted on the Bloomsky page was 5 minutes behind my DVR, my computer, and my Rainwise Oracle (set by the computer).  Right now it is 3 minutes behind.  EDIT - Mallet head just figured it out.  The time on the Bloomsky page is the time that the image was posted, not the current time.

As for the animation, I went frame by frame looking at the images stored for my setup before dark yesterday the Sky2 animation captured a frame at varying intervals, as short as 1 minute and as long as 6.  They seemed to average about every 3 minutes, so posting times can be quite different.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:54:35 PM by ggsteve »

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:56:03 PM »
When all else fails read the manual.  The Sky2 posts an image every 5 minutes except for the first and last hour of the day when it posts every 3 minutes.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 10:35:39 AM »
The Sky2 still seems to be in sync with my Rainwise station for readings.  I expect this to change as the sun gets higher in the sky if I don't move the Sky2.  It is on the SW facing wall of my shed over the driveway, not ideal for temp readings.  I will likely move the Sky2 when I get the Storm to the flower garden on our driveway island.  Again, not ideal, but better than the placement now.  Of course, weather data is far from the main purpose of the Bloomsky, and finding the best location to capture the daily sky images is paramount.  However, it is nice for comparison to my main station.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:38:54 AM by ggsteve »

anything