Author Topic: Big Island Hawaii  (Read 914 times)

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
  • Former Aviation Weather Observer
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
Big Island Hawaii
« on: July 06, 2015, 12:38:08 AM »
While these aren't on grade with other folks here, I still thought some may find them of interest. Here are a few to start.

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
Re: Big Island Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 12:41:43 AM »

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 12:47:47 AM »

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 12:47:59 AM »

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 01:12:07 AM »
How awesome - I just love the wall of fog!

Randall

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
  • Too soon old, too late smart.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 11:06:44 PM »
Is that a wall of fog, or perhaps steam from a volcano? Lots of the other shots seem to have lava flows in them. I dunno.

Many very nice shots! The sunset pics are especially hard to do well, and you have a good start. I really like the one that shows the rising columns under (perhaps behind?) the stratus cloud.
-Lee

Davis VP2, Meteostick, RPi Meteohub, KCACALIF33
working on an RPi webcam and a 30 ft. flagpole...

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 02:19:22 AM »
How awesome - I just love the wall of fog!

Randall

Thanks. It was a unique moment to say the least. Timing is everything. We had been over to Hilo and were driving back on the newly completed saddle road and the whole way up to that point from Hilo was cloudy, drizzle or rain, and then boom this happens right as we happen to be coming up on Mauna Kea. I think the elevation was about 6,500 ft. or so there on the road.

Is that a wall of fog, or perhaps steam from a volcano? Lots of the other shots seem to have lava flows in them. I dunno.

Many very nice shots! The sunset pics are especially hard to do well, and you have a good start. I really like the one that shows the rising columns under (perhaps behind?) the stratus cloud.

No steam, just clouds. I can't stress enough the diversity of the Big Island. You will experience rapid climate and scenery changes all the time as you're driving around. I'll add a shot or two of better lava fields. I may have already said this, but if you love meteorology you owe yourself a trip here at least once. The sunset pics were from the very top of Mauna Kea ~14,000ft. I'm hoping to learn more from folks here and I've already started collecting links to pages and videos to help as well.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 02:11:23 PM »
Well, there went a day's worth of bandwidth.  Please use thumbnails or links for several big files.  Thanks! 
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 04:04:57 PM »
Well, there went a day's worth of bandwidth.  Please use thumbnails or links for several big files.  Thanks!

I didn't think about folks who are bandwidth challenged. I'll resize before posting.

Offline swyman18

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 11:13:26 PM »
Nice pics... Many of them right in my backyard, so to speak. I live on the Hamakua coast, in Honokaa.

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 01:06:22 AM »
You live on one of the prettiest parts of the island IMO. Have they finished all that road work on 19 up there yet? You live close to that road on the way to Waipio Valley that has all of those tall trees (not sure what they were) but it reminded me of the forests of Endor  8-) I wish I had stopped to get some pictures of those. As it is, I have about 5000 pics and video from the trip.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 09:16:22 AM »
Skyview,

That's what I am talking about - 5K for a trip to Hawaii sounds just right :)

Randall

Offline swyman18

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 10:08:08 AM »

You live on one of the prettiest parts of the island IMO. Have they finished all that road work on 19 up there yet? You live close to that road on the way to Waipio Valley that has all of those tall trees (not sure what they were) but it reminded me of the forests of Endor  8-) I wish I had stopped to get some pictures of those. As it is, I have about 5000 pics and video from the trip.

No, that Rt. 19 work is still going on. It does cause quite a few delays. Then again, if you are stopped in traffic in the right spot, you've got a nice view while you wait!