Author Topic: New firmware, better tipping bucket emulation  (Read 7079 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
New firmware, better tipping bucket emulation
« on: October 20, 2011, 01:27:29 PM »
I just received this from Hydreon:

Dear RG-11 Customer,

We have just released new firmware that makes the RG-11 much more accurate in tipping bucket mode.

If you using an RG-11 in tipping bucket mode to make quantitative rainfall measurements, you will find the new software to be a great improvement.   If you are using the RG-11 in other modes, such as an "it's raining" relay closure for skylight control, you do not need the firmware.  To take advantage of this upgrade, you will also need to apply Rain-X to the RG-11 lens, which you must obtain locally.  The Rain-X is a key part of the accuracy improvement, as it prevents static water from causing false rain indications in high-wind conditions.

If you are using the RG-11 in tipping bucket mode, we will reprogram it at no charge.  In  most cases we will be able to send a new board for exchange, so you need not be without a rain sensor.   Please reply to this email if you are interested in having your RG-11 reprogrammed.

Offline iisfaq

• Christchurch Weather Live
  • Senior Contributor
    • Christchurch Weather Live
Re: New firmware, better tipping bucket emulation
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 12:49:02 AM »
I wonder why I have not received anything like that?

Maybe because I live in New Zealand?

Chris

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 02:24:17 AM »
We didn't get the offer in the UK either, but maybe that's because I got the free demo one (when the offer was on - it's finished now AFAICS) to start with and so don't qualify as a paying customer.

According to Ben at Hydreon: 'any unit shipped after 13 OCT 2011 contains the updated (SW 011) revision' (and the RainX pre-coating, but with the recommendation that the user recoats at least yearly).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 04:11:44 PM »
I just placed my order for one of the units today and the email  conformation of my order has the free unit offer with it, pictures and description emailed to them. Looking forward to playing with the unit.  \:D/