Author Topic: Ferrite or 'big loop' antennas?  (Read 2615 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Ferrite or 'big loop' antennas?
« on: August 23, 2013, 08:09:41 PM »
I see the RED kit can come with a pair of ferrite antennas (which is what I've ordered).  There has also been much discussion about the big loop antennas (both hoop style and flat style).  Is there any definitive data on what is working best for long-range reception?
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Ferrite or 'big loop' antennas?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 08:25:58 PM »
Ken, Don F has been running the last few days with his home built ferrites, and hinted to me he sort of liked their overall performance. I'm running the 120mm Kit ferrites, as you ordered, and detect up to 2500 miles under good conditions. It takes 4 stations to detect and register on this network, so three others have to register. I may detect it, but if 3 others also aren't involved it doesn't show as a stroke. This is truly a team effort! And I think that's part of the fun. It's fun to see how far you can see, but it makes you cheer on the other guys and gals also.  For me, the ferrites are adequate, for now, although I did build flats... they had so much gain I couldn't figure out how the station worked! I think several of us would suggest starting with ferrites, although John S in Arkansas, and others, iare doing fine with loops. I think distance, as far as the net is concerned, isn't the main issue. But for the 'Look what I made' is a cool feeling when you register on strikes in South America!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:28:12 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 08:48:06 PM »
I've been running on my homebrew 250mm ferrites a few days now. I like the performance, even over that of the big flat panel 52-turn loops. I've been getting better strike ratios since using them, up in the 95% range or higher.

See my other post on the ferrite antenna construction for the story of that adventure.

You could put together a set of these bad boys for about 12.00 in materials, tops.

Don

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 08:59:24 PM »
I have had good luck with my loop antennas. It was worth the effort but it was a real bear to get the wire turns through the NM conduit.

I kept on breaking the wire after about 3 turns. I ended up getting some rather expensive 20AWG teflon wire. Between the teflon wire and the pull box at the halfway point, I got it to work.

I notice that the waveforms on Blitzortung/LightningMaps are more rounded on the ferrites and sharper on the loop antennas. I believe that there is more lag to the ferrite antennas.

I don't know how difficult the planar loop antennas were to make, but from the descriptions it doesn't sound all that bad.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 09:41:16 PM »
Richo over at the Blitzortung forum has a write up on Small Loop Antenna versus 20cm Ferrit Antenna under a similar heading.
Interesting comparison, since he compares the 20cm ferrite vs various loops.
You will need to be registered to view it.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 10:06:33 PM »
I ordered my Red kit today with the Ferrite antennas. Did not want to fuss with them. Also ordered the boxes, board and GPS antenna here in the states.

Looking forward to building the kit.
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 11:30:30 PM »
A secondary question comes to mind about the ferrite antenna orientation.  The loop antennas seem to be placed vertically so the coils 'look' horizontally.  Shouldn't the ferrite rods be placed the same way (horizontally)?
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 11:43:17 PM »
They should definitely be placed horizontally to the earth. When either of my ferrites is tilted upward vertically, the background noise, mostly 60 Hz hum, increases dramatically.

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 06:27:05 AM »
I was planning on putting my ferrite antenna in the attic of my garage. Is that a good, acceptable, place to put it?
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 09:01:18 AM »
Sounds good... mine are on shelf in garage. Just remember to keep the antenna wire as short as possible to amp connection. My amp sits right in between 'em. The assembly is at end of 25' Cat6 cable to controller. (Couldn't locate any shielded Cat5 quickly  :lol: ) Some pics my install here: http://www.ourspecialnet.com/Weather/TwinHollies/30312224_5r5QZ6#!i=2610246813&k=sBFbMMc Need to update 'em... too lazy.

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 09:30:33 AM »
I can second any attic option, mine are in the top most point of the apex of the roof, some 2m above the house electrical cabling and I have very little interference.
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 11:01:52 AM »
Hi Ken,

I am using the version 2 flat panel in a garbage can. The amp is about 1 ft. away directly above the antenna in a BUD polycarbonate box, which is connected to the controller using about 75 ft. of CAT 5E shielded cable. I am currently running 8*8*40 on both channels and detecting lightning of the west of Columbia at 3,400 km.

I have been VERY impressed with the performance of this detector. It beats the Boltek I had hands down, both in detection and accuracy, and it is far easier to adjust than the Boltek was.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

anything