Author Topic: Question about rapid fire updates to WU  (Read 869 times)

Offline texascrane

Question about rapid fire updates to WU
« on: April 07, 2019, 11:34:40 PM »
I purchased a 2902a and got it set up today.  Is there anything specific that I need to do in order to enable rapid fire updates to WU?   I set up the WU connection using the iOS app, not the ambientweather.net site.

I was under the impression that the 2902a would send data to WU every 16 seconds even though WU only displays 5 minute intervals. However I run my own DNS server on my network and I can see that the console is only hitting rtupdate.wunderground.com every 5 minutes.  Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Question about rapid fire updates to WU
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 07:22:48 AM »
A recent firmware update for the WS-2902A made it so that it only needs to do DNS queries every 5 minutes rather than every time it communicates to the Internet. So it is caching the DNS. Which means this is not a good method to see how frequently it is uploading data to WU.

Because of the recent WU website redesign they removed Rapidfire from the new website. But that does not mean your station is not sending data every 16 seconds. The chart data on WU has always been 5 minutes. The only thing Rapidfire did is show the live dashboard updating more frequently.

But there is some good news. For now you can continue to go to the old WU site. See my signature for format to see old WU site. As you can see, Rapidfire is working.

And there is more good news. WU has said that Rapidfire will return. They are going to fix this issue with the new website.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:25:24 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline texascrane

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 10:00:05 AM »
Thanks.  I can indeed see that it's updating more frequently.  I'm not used to IOT type devices caching anything - my "smart" garage door opener makes a DNS request every 5-10 seconds!

Offline gvspfc

• Blumenau/Brazil Wunderground
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 03:55:07 PM »
A recent firmware update for the WS-2902A made it so that it only needs to do DNS queries every 5 minutes rather than every time it communicates to the Internet. So it is caching the DNS. Which means this is not a good method to see how frequently it is uploading data to WU.

Because of the recent WU website redesign they removed Rapidfire from the new website. But that does not mean your station is not sending data every 16 seconds. The chart data on WU has always been 5 minutes. The only thing Rapidfire did is show the live dashboard updating more frequently.

But there is some good news. For now you can continue to go to the old WU site. See my signature for format to see old WU site. As you can see, Rapidfire is working.

And there is more good news. WU has said that Rapidfire will return. They are going to fix this issue with the new website.

Galfert, do you know if they will return with decimals on temp readings?

And Custom mode under the Weather History table?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 04:11:22 PM »

Yes decimals (tenths) will return on the new WU station dashboard pages according to WU employees that have posted updates here on this forum.

Custom Mode on the other hand has not yet been discussed. We have asked but there is no acknowledgment yet from WU. There are bigger fish to fry at this point. There is a lot to fix. I think in due time Custom Mode should return as it it is something a lot of people want and hopefully they will bring it back eventually.

I feel that the purpose of the new website was to give WU a fresh new base to work with and add features rather than to continue to put band-aids on the old website that was proving to be difficult to deal with. Features were removed from the old website because it was a bit too ambitious and performance suffered. The new website should be capable of handling more than the old. We'll just have to be patient for these features to return. There are many features that were removed. Along with the ability to set a Custom Mode for date range that was removed is also the ability to download csv data, or to edit bad data entries, to see airport METAR data, and much much more. For now they are focused on the main issues which have to do with units, decimal precision, layout spacing or condensed single screenshot view of all current data, summary data, cameras, and Rapidfire to name a few of the more pressing matters that WU has acknowledged they are working on fixing or bringing back.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 04:15:47 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline gvspfc

• Blumenau/Brazil Wunderground
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 07:41:38 AM »

Yes decimals (tenths) will return on the new WU station dashboard pages according to WU employees that have posted updates here on this forum.

Custom Mode on the other hand has not yet been discussed. We have asked but there is no acknowledgment yet from WU. There are bigger fish to fry at this point. There is a lot to fix. I think in due time Custom Mode should return as it it is something a lot of people want and hopefully they will bring it back eventually.

I feel that the purpose of the new website was to give WU a fresh new base to work with and add features rather than to continue to put band-aids on the old website that was proving to be difficult to deal with. Features were removed from the old website because it was a bit too ambitious and performance suffered. The new website should be capable of handling more than the old. We'll just have to be patient for these features to return. There are many features that were removed. Along with the ability to set a Custom Mode for date range that was removed is also the ability to download csv data, or to edit bad data entries, to see airport METAR data, and much much more. For now they are focused on the main issues which have to do with units, decimal precision, layout spacing or condensed single screenshot view of all current data, summary data, cameras, and Rapidfire to name a few of the more pressing matters that WU has acknowledged they are working on fixing or bringing back.

Thanks my friend. I admit, sometimes is difficult to get used to with changes, and I really liked how it was, especially decimals (tenths) and with a single screenshot view of all current data. Hope it all comes back.

Thank you again.

anything