Author Topic: Inside The Weather Shack  (Read 12935 times)

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
  • Texas Township, Illinois
    • Texas Township, Clinton, Illinois 61727  Weather
Inside The Weather Shack
« on: September 24, 2008, 03:29:06 PM »

The Brain Room:

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)
[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: Inside The Weather Shack
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 09:08:41 PM »
Mr. Old Fart, 

Is there a window in the room to verify the readings of all that equipment?   :mrgreen:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 10:19:46 PM »
how do you keep your desk so neat and tidy?
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 10:49:44 PM »
Looks great :grin:
Everything  is close at hand it seems!
All my equipment is too scattered i guess..console in one room with dedicated weather pc, all the rest of the comm equipment in another with the routers, switches and servers for what other data I have here as well as weather..

and so I don't forget.. radios! Several of em..( wife wanted that point made clear as mud )

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 12:15:55 AM »
There was a picture posted in this forum a couple of years ago that looks a lot more like my "Weather Shack" than this utopia Mr. NiceBill has presented. If anyone remembers, and can find, THE picture, please repost it so Mr. NiceBill can see what the real world is like :roll:

Hey Bill, what's the Dawg's name?

George

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 07:34:42 AM »
I've been thinking about ways I could tidy up the weather room. This thread kinda sparks that idea a little more!
Now I just gotta get time to do the work  :grin:

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline KU4GO

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 03:52:17 PM »
Very nice!  I like the doggie picture best of all!  ;)

Hello from Coddle Creek, NC

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 07:27:27 PM »

I am with out any doubt very pleased you noted the photo of my dog.  That's a photo of SAM, long story, very sad.
When we lived in upstate NY, Adirondacks, I went to NH and purchased him, about 1976.  Sam was 8 weeks old at the time, full registered blood hound and to look at him would make you cry.  A month later I entered him in the Vermont state dog show, he took first place of all hounds, quite a dog.   Several months later, at the age of six months I entered him in the NY state dog show.  Sam took first place of all dogs.  Mind you, I knew nothing at all about dog shows except he was one fine and loving dog.  I began to teach him how to find lost folks, by having him find our daughter.  I had him registered with the NY state police.  Sam could find a diamond ring if you lost it.
One day when we were away, Sam was hit by a car, broke his pelvis, and Sam would never show again, but he remained the most loving dog anyone could ever own.
Sam died a year later from cancer, we believe from his injuries.  I still miss him to day and never had another dog. I know he would have been the US champion blood hound, if only given the chance,  I have his photo with me always.

Thanks for noting his photo,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-(

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 10:11:25 PM by NiceBill »
[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 10:50:35 PM »
Bill,
Dogs are the best...

Funny story about dog photos.  I was at a party recently, someone pulled out their wallet to show off a picture of their new baby.  They ask me if I had any photos of my kids.  I have some on my blackberry, but I rarely print any of the thousands of photos I have taken with my digital cameras.  Checked my wallet as sometimes my wife will update the photo's of the kids... I found a 3 year old photo of my 5 year old, and none of my several month old, ooops... but what did I have of course a picture of my dog....from 9 years ago.

No matter what your mood, dogs can make you feel better, even if its the memory of one that's moved on....  I had a dog when I was a kid, but like you I dont know if I could get another one when Fred passes on... he is irreplaceable.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline KU4GO

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 04:13:25 PM »

I am with out any doubt very pleased you noted the photo of my dog.  That's a photo of SAM, long story, very sad.
When we lived in upstate NY, Adirondacks, I went to NH and purchased him, about 1976.  Sam was 8 weeks old at the time, full registered blood hound and to look at him would make you cry.  A month later I entered him in the Vermont state dog show, he took first place of all hounds, quite a dog.   Several months later, at the age of six months I entered him in the NY state dog show.  Sam took first place of all dogs.  Mind you, I knew nothing at all about dog shows except he was one fine and loving dog.  I began to teach him how to find lost folks, by having him find our daughter.  I had him registered with the NY state police.  Sam could find a diamond ring if you lost it.
One day when we were away, Sam was hit by a car, broke his pelvis, and Sam would never show again, but he remained the most loving dog anyone could ever own.
Sam died a year later from cancer, we believe from his injuries.  I still miss him to day and never had another dog. I know he would have been the US champion blood hound, if only given the chance,  I have his photo with me always.

======

I understand completely Bill, sorry to hear of the sad ending... At least you got to give him a wonderful home with lots of love!  Bloodhounds are unbelievably smart and sensitive.  You should get another dog... there are thousands of dogs in shelters needing a loving owner, and I bet you'd enjoy it!  As Andrew said below, they made you feel better.  No matter how bad my day is, when I walk in the door, I have three dogs that are always happy to see me!

I've had dogs since I can remember.  My mom loved animals, and I had a collie that literally grew up with me.  She lived for 16 years (I was 16 also).  People in the neighborhood used to kid that all that was needed to be complete was to name me "Timmy" ;)   (A joke for the folks that remember "Lassie").

Yes, I always notice the dog photos... I do a lot of volunteer work with my local humane society.  I'm including a photo of my latest companion, a collie I saved during a rescue trip down to NOLA a few days after Katrina hit.  Our group went down for a week and rescued almost a hundred animals of all types.  We brought with us about 1500 pounds of pet supplies stuffed into a 40 ft horse trailer, and because I'm an amateur radio operator, I helped with others in setting up temporary communications for the area we were in.  It was heartbreaking, but we were glad to help.  This collie was found abandoned, frightened and hungry, surrounded by mud and water for who knows how long.  For some reason, I was the only one that she would trust to come and get her, as she barked and growled when others tried.  Maybe we just clicked?  Anyway, I couldn't leave her at the shelter we were taking them to, so I made arrangements to foster her.  After a year of searching for her owners, she became mine.  She been here ever since, and never leaves my side.

Also shown is a photo of my other two dogs, both adopted from our local shelter.  They're all wonderful dogs, and there's never a dull moment around here!  ;)

Thanks for sharing, and oh, I liked the rest of the shack also!  :)
Alan

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 04:19:35 PM by KU4GO »

Offline KU4GO

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 04:26:34 PM »
Bill,
Dogs are the best...

Funny story about dog photos.  I was at a party recently, someone pulled out their wallet to show off a picture of their new baby.  They ask me if I had any photos of my kids.  I have some on my blackberry, but I rarely print any of the thousands of photos I have taken with my digital cameras.  Checked my wallet as sometimes my wife will update the photo's of the kids... I found a 3 year old photo of my 5 year old, and none of my several month old, ooops... but what did I have of course a picture of my dog....from 9 years ago.

Andrew

Hehe!  Too funny!  I'm just as bad.  I always have photos of the dogs on my iPhone, but recently, it was pointed out that I didn't have a photo of my wife on there!   :oops:

BTW, great photo!  Poor doggie... dressing him up like that, ha-ha!  I'm sure he loved the attention!

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 02:55:28 AM »
Hello Bill.

I love your weather shack. Tell me. Is it a room in your house? Or is it a separate building in your garden?

Alan.
Alan

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 10:35:02 AM »
Nice.

I think I can see my house on the Doppler Weather screen. \:D/
Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 10:57:34 AM »
Hello Bill.

I love your weather shack. Tell me. Is it a room in your house? Or is it a separate building in your garden?

Alan.

Hi Alan,

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=2039.0

It is a separate room in my home.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 08:31:54 PM »

Sam sounded like a wonderful animal to be around!
It's truly sad he was injured by some one's ignorance I'm sure..
I am a dog aholic also! We have 2 rescue cocker spaniels here and they are truly my children! No doubt about it :grin:
Shauna is the oldest and the best weather Cocker you could ask for! She can predict storms almost as good as doppler!
I call it her Doggler Radar! If she is under the coffee table you can expect a medium intensity storm sometime during the day..If she is under the kitchen table..look out!
She's seldom ever wrong either! You mentioned New York earlier and strangely thats where our male Cocker "Hooker" came from. He was rescued from a shelter in upstate Ny and when he was examined by the vet they found a fish hook embedded
in his hind leg  hence the name Hooker :grin:

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 05:03:57 PM »
Sweet Setup. 8-)
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS
WX Station: Davis VP2 6152 (Wireless)
WX OS: VWS 15.00
VWSaprs: v. 2.0.2.0.

[

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 01:42:08 AM »
A very sad day in my life.  One year ago we took in a male Black Lab/Boxer puppy as he was being taken to the 'pound'.  He liked to chew ears, so he was called Tyson.  My wife drives "special needs" school bus. An 8 yr old needed a dog, Tyson needed a boy to play with, and we gave him away.
I miss Tyson (typing with tears in my eyes)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 01:49:46 AM by tomcj2 »

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 09:17:13 AM »
Turn your day into a bright one. Call your local Humane society, SPCA, Pound or whatever and volunteer to foster an animal that otherwise would be put down. There are far more "special needs" animals than foster homes. Good Luck. George

Oh! We are down to only 4 foster dogs. We placed a Great Dane yesterday.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 04:32:25 PM »
Turn your day into a bright one. Call your local Humane society, SPCA, Pound or whatever and volunteer to foster an animal that otherwise would be put down. There are far more "special needs" animals than foster homes. Good Luck. George

Oh! We are down to only 4 foster dogs. We placed a Great Dane yesterday.

Thank You George!! Well said!
We have 2 rescue Cocker Spaniels here and would have 20 more if I ran the room...
Way too many animals need care and never get it...

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

anything