Author Topic: The difference between being on the ridge and being in the valley  (Read 716 times)

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
These two WU graphs struck me this morning.  The West Townsend graph is from my home at about 330ft of elevation.  Fitchburg High School is up on the ridge at about 750'.  The stations are  about 6 miles apart.  The temperature graphs are so different I thought they were for different days.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
Re: The difference between being on the ridge and being in the valley
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 12:18:36 PM »
See that here all winter long. Be minus 30 in Fairbanks yet on the ridges around the city people are in the minus teens. Even where I am at 700 plus ft there is 10 to 15 deg difference in temps . Alway can tell where the inversion layer is by watching the steam columns level out.

John

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 12:23:19 PM »
My sister in law is in Fairbanks.  She's a medical professional so she has to get to work.  About a month ago she said it was -48*.  So cold the tires had flat spots that stayed all the way to work.  It must be like driving Fred Flintstone's car!

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »
Yep takes about 10 miles or so to get them round. Fairbanks at the airport hit 51 below . My OS registered  48 below, the Davis quit at 40 below. That unit headed to the dumpster this summer an a better unit going in.

John

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 02:21:40 PM »
Had to take xyl in to get here HUH factor check out at ENT clinic in Fairbanks .At the cabin (710 asl) temperature was minus 14. By time we got to Eilson AFB at 620 asl the temperature dropped to minus 27 and stay between minus 27 to minus 22 all the way into Fair bank.
In Verizon layer at about 700 ft agl. Steam plume from the base was creating their own fog bank as no wind to dissappear it.