Author Topic: GREarth and GRLevel3 comparison  (Read 3227 times)

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
GREarth and GRLevel3 comparison
« on: August 07, 2016, 06:57:23 PM »
I've own GR3 for years...many, many, many years and was a beta tester for it, as well as GRLevel2 (no longer available).  I've had GREarth from time to time on a monthly basis depending on the need for it.  It's an outstanding product.

I was recently doing a comparison on the basic reflectivity product between GRE and GR3.  The quality control of GRE's base reflectivity is so good when zoomed in, there's almost no difference between the two.  Now granted, GRE does not have velocity products, dual pole products, placefiles, shapefiles, etc., but if you're looking for a great affordable product for reflectivity only, GRE is outstanding.  Nice and stable.

Here's a screenshot comparison between the two:
(GREarth is at the top, GRLevel3 is at the bottom)

Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: GREarth and GRLevel3 comparison
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 07:24:51 PM »
The difference is really just merging one sites data with another
GRE tends to enhance storms cells more while Base Ref is a more accurate reflection.
You can see that in the cell SW of Montpeiler. Notice the more intense returns with GRE opposed to the Base Ref. Also the same just north of of KLIX.
In the end though I'm just splitting hairs. Both good representations. One of these days I'm going to try the free trial of GRE. :-)
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 07:45:31 PM »
So, if I understand it correctly, based on your first post, GrLevelX is like the wholy grail of radar software? And also the most expensive one?

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 07:50:11 PM »
So, if I understand it correctly, based on your first post, GrLevelX is like the wholy grail of radar software? And also the most expensive one?

GRLevel3 is great and probably the most widely used radar application in the States.  It's not that expensive...a one time fee of $79.95 and that's it.  No monthly subscription needed unless you want lightning or other premium placefiles.  However, there are so many locations you can get placefiles for free, you can find just about anything you want.

GRLevel3 is a local product to monitor one radar site at a time.  GREarth is a National program which gives you a composite of radar data as well as satellite, models mesoanalysis data, and world wide temperatures.  The actual GREarth application is free to download, however you do need a subscription for the data.  I have the monthly subscription which is $14.99/month, and you can cancel at any time. 
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 07:55:52 PM »
Aha, I see, thanks for clarification.

anything