Author Topic: Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?  (Read 10161 times)

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Re: Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2017, 09:40:31 PM »
I use Sling, but it's for my family, because other than NASCAR and an occasional netflix show, I'm not a tv watcher. Sling for $20/month has AMC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, TBS, TNT, HGTV, Food Network, Travel, IFC, and maybe 5 more channels. That's all we need.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2017, 09:47:35 PM »
"You can watch everything you could ever need" *IF* you have a fast enough internet speed.
I suppose if you have a weak connection, watching things online isn't for you... maybe having them stored locally is a better option for you.

Did you know, as the owner of a DVD, you are allowed to make a digital copy for yourself?  So if you have the entire Gilligan's Island series on DVD, you can make a copy of each of the episodes and store them for later watching, without having to pull out your DVDs.  At least that's what the rule in Canada is, I'm not sure where you are but the rule might be different.

Hmm, if I have the DVD of a program I'll just pop it in and watch it.  What I would miss would be new shows mostly...ball games....news casts....etc.,.  Between OTA and a good, fast internet I would cut the cord in a heartbeat.

As for making a copy of a DVD I'm not sure what the law is here in Alabama.  Ah well, "it is what it is".  :)

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2017, 09:49:09 PM »
The only cable I pay for is my Internet cable, and that's $68 +tax monthly.  In this day and age of technological advances, one doesn't need cable TV anymore.  You can watch everything you could ever need or want to watch on the Internet if you know where to find it, commercial free.
"You can watch everything you could ever need" *IF* you have a fast enough internet speed.  Dan, my lame Centurystink 1.5/.25Mbps DSL internet struggles with anything over a standard definition youtube video.<sigh>

They did just announce that they're offering higher speeds in my area...a whopping 3Mbps!!!!!!!  ...for over twice the money!  :evil:

Ouch! Look what I get with PSVUE Elite Slim package streaming $45 month. 99% channels are HD. 720P.
Wow, what a nice line-up for that price!  It would be nice....<sigh>

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2017, 09:51:28 PM »
Planning on cutting the cord Monday. Waiting until Monday because of the NFL game on ESPN Saturday.
Alabama/Clemson plays Monday night...ESPN...National Championship...just sayin'.....  :grin:

Gotta work. I work evenings but my coworker who is from Alabama wont be working. He has taken many Mondays off in early January lately?  :grin:
Funny how he takes those Mondays off in January...<GRIN>  This one's gonna be a good'un...'Bama better dot it's I's and cross it's T's Monday night 'cause Clemson's got a great team and ain't forgot (nor forgiven) their loss from last year!!!  ROLL TIDE!!!!!!  :lol:

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2017, 10:38:12 PM »
"You can watch everything you could ever need" *IF* you have a fast enough internet speed.

No, I meant that if you have your media stored locally, as in .MP4 files on a local hard drive attached to your media centre, you could then watch everything you could ever want or need.  Perhaps I wasn't clear on that.  I apologize.

I suppose if you have a weak connection, watching things online isn't for you... maybe having them stored locally is a better option for you.

Did you know, as the owner of a DVD, you are allowed to make a digital copy for yourself?  So if you have the entire Gilligan's Island series on DVD, you can make a copy of each of the episodes and store them for later watching, without having to pull out your DVDs.  At least that's what the rule in Canada is, I'm not sure where you are but the rule might be different.

I created a database of NASCAR races for this very purpose since my internet is moderately unreliable. It fits on a 2 terrabyte external hard drive and currently holds about 1,300 full NASCAR races dating back to the middle 1970s. I have several years of full seasons. It took me about 2 years to build.  8-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2017, 06:23:10 AM »
Hmm, if I have the DVD of a program I'll just pop it in and watch it. 

Watching from the disc usually means watching only on the one device that's connected.  Plus there's the risk of disc damage or breakage.  Watching content out of sequence can be a pain too.

When you rip the disc to a drive, you have the option to watch on any device across the home network generally in any sequence you choose.  And the disc stays safely stored in the package.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2017, 06:37:46 AM »

I created a database of NASCAR races for this very purpose since my internet is moderately unreliable. It fits on a 2 terrabyte external hard drive and currently holds about 1,300 full NASCAR races dating back to the middle 1970s. I have several years of full seasons. It took me about 2 years to build.  8-)

Are you serious??

Ever thought of putting them on YouTube? A lot of the forums I'm on, people would would love you forever if you did.  :grin:
Tony

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2017, 08:46:35 AM »
I bought a jail broken Amazon Fire stick this week. Still learning how to use it but so far so good.
Still a couple shows I can't find like Northern Exposure but I did hit pay dirt last night when I found the old Looney Tunes! 
Gonna have a Bugs, Roadrunner, Yosemite Sam marathon this morning.  :-)
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2017, 08:50:48 AM »

Are you serious??

Ever thought of putting them on YouTube? A lot of the forums I'm on, people would would love you forever if you did.  :grin:

THAT would be illegal.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2017, 08:54:38 AM »
I bought a jail broken Amazon Fire stick this week. Still learning how to use it but so far so good.
Still a couple shows I can't find like Northern Exposure but I did hit pay dirt last night when I found the old Looney Tunes! 
Gonna have a Bugs, Roadrunner, Yosemite Sam marathon this morning.  :-)

When you get done, look for the old Terrytoons and maybe the Harvey Toons

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2017, 11:57:34 PM »

Are you serious??

THAT would be illegal.

I have downloaded quite a bit of the videos from Youtube, which is breaking copyright laws to my knowledge. It is the only form of pirating that I have ever committed, but one I spend a lot of time working on it. I've never seeked to make money doing it though.

I always tell people that if they are willing to pay for the shipping of a 2 tb hard drive, I'd be happy to make a copy for them, no charge. I began working on it in 2014 because NASCAR has not been interested in showing on tv or online any of their old races, which is what I enjoy (still enjoy new races, but admittedly, it was much better before ~ 2006). So, while most people my age in college were partying, I was studying weather and downloading NASCAR races.

8-) 8-)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2017, 08:07:31 PM »
Update on that jail broken Fire Stick.
After using it it for a while I can say this thing is incredible.
All the old TV shows I want are available. Documentaries, sports, etc.
You can even download an app for weather shows like Weather Nation.
For the heck of it I added a Live TV Package for $10 a month that has every TV channel and then some.
I didn't need the Live Package but I just wanted to see what it had.
There is a learning curve because there is so many channels but it's well worth it.
Also those older shows aren't in HD but the newer ones are.
You do need a good internet connection. I realize that's not available to every one but if you have a stout connection it's well worth it.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2017, 10:05:02 PM »
Update on that jail broken Fire Stick.
After using it it for a while I can say this thing is incredible.
All the old TV shows I want are available. Documentaries, sports, etc.
You can even download an app for weather shows like Weather Nation.
For the heck of it I added a Live TV Package for $10 a month that has every TV channel and then some.
I didn't need the Live Package but I just wanted to see what it had.
There is a learning curve because there is so many channels but it's well worth it.
Also those older shows aren't in HD but the newer ones are.
You do need a good internet connection. I realize that's not available to every one but if you have a stout connection it's well worth it.

Can you get the major broadcast networks (ABC, etc.) ESPN, FS1, FX, USA, PAC 12 network?
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2017, 07:23:46 AM »
As far as I can tell you get them all. There aren't any local affiliates though. You get whatever ABC, NBC, etc stations they have.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2017, 08:34:59 AM »
Out of curiosity, what software are they installing onto the Fire Stick?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2017, 08:53:34 AM »
It's Kodi but the website I get it from also installs their own software which let's you access all the add ons which is where all the sports, sitcoms, movies etc are located.

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2017, 09:37:07 AM »
It's Kodi but the website I get it from also installs their own software which let's you access all the add ons which is where all the sports, sitcoms, movies etc are located.
What website is that? I've installed Kodi on my fire stick but having access to the networks other than my crappy OTA signals might be nice.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »
I'm about to order a couple of firesticks and then add playstation vue. Lots of channels for less! I will shove the cable boxes back to the cable snake, and up my internet speed to be sure I get enough upload speed. I get good OTA signals from my antenna for the few shows I watch there. I don't watch the fake news OTA anyway.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2017, 10:50:15 AM »
What website is that?
I think he's referring to Code TV.  I just ordered the box with the mini-keyboard to try it out.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2017, 11:12:25 AM »
What website is that? I've installed Kodi on my fire stick but having access to the networks other than my crappy OTA signals might be nice.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:17:11 AM by ocala »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2017, 11:16:42 AM »
What website is that?
I think he's referring to Code TV.  I just ordered the box with the mini-keyboard to try it out.
Pretty sure that is the same thing as the Firestick where you can stream a bunch of shows.
I think.
 The live TV package I added is just that, live TV, not shows that were already recorded.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2017, 12:57:53 PM »
What website is that?
Pretty sure that is the same thing as the Firestick where you can stream a bunch of shows.
I think.
 The live TV package I added is just that, live TV, not shows that were already recorded.
The same company sells the Jailbroken Amazon Firestick, but I opted for the more powerful yet cheaper box.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Roll_Tide11

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2017, 04:01:02 PM »
I cut the cord 13 months ago. Started with sling and now with playstation vue which is awesome. Tried direct tv now but it is buggy with limited on demand. Only thing vue is missing is weather channel which I like to watch during big tornado or hurricane events not affecting our area. Also no locals but can stream those from the Mac if I ever want to watch local forecasts or news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2017, 07:46:13 PM »
What website is that?
I think.
The same company sells the Jailbroken Amazon Firestick, but I opted for the more powerful yet cheaper box.
The Code TV box has not gotten very good reviews by those on reddit

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2017, 10:18:08 AM »
I use Sling, but it's for my family, because other than NASCAR and an occasional netflix show, I'm not a tv watcher. Sling for $20/month has AMC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, TBS, TNT, HGTV, Food Network, Travel, IFC, and maybe 5 more channels. That's all we need.
Ok, foregoing the red warning notice that the thread hasn't been posted to for at least 120 days I'll still post to it.<grin>

I've started working towards cutting the cable, reducing expenses, etc., and I'm curious how Sling has worked for you, Farmtalk.  I've got a lowly 3Mbps connection so I know it won't be optimal here, but how has it been for you and at what speeds?  I'm mostly interested in the sports add-on package so I can watch college football games that aren't broadcast OTA and Sling with the add-on appears to be in the price range.   

It seems that Hulu, Sling, and a few more vendors are offering free 7-day trials.  Once I get setup I'll be trying them out.

Thanks for the feedback.

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

anything