Author Topic: Blitzortung RED Amp debugging  (Read 28860 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Blitzortung RED Amp debugging
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 09:56:28 AM »
Yippee, I found the cause of my dead channel B. It turned out to be a bad solder joint on pin 3 of IC8. ... This was a connection that looked perfect even with a 20x loop - so, you can't just go by looks of the solder joints.
And lastly, the new "show noise" feature on the V6.0 firmware really helps to show visually the signals coming through the system.
Way to get'er'Don.... er done, Don!

Mike

Offline Einar

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2014, 05:46:06 PM »
Yippee, I found the cause of my dead channel B. It turned out to be a bad solder joint on pin 3 of IC8.

That is one of the surface mount amplifiers I believe? (I think there was a picture of your solder joints somewhere).

Then I like to point out that you should not use the flux in the solder for such components. Use a liquid solder flux. You could try this: http://uk.farnell.com/chemtronics/cw8300/water-soluble-flux-pen/dp/1663183
Or this: http://uk.farnell.com/circuitworks/cw8200/dispensing-pen-rosin-flux/dp/130709

And use a lot! More or less drown the pins and pads in it! When you get the hang of it you can solder all 4 pins (legs?) on one side of the IC in one go. That is why you have the "hoof" soldering tips. http://uk.farnell.com/metcal/smtc-1147/tip-multi-lead-hoof/dp/4950896
They act as a miniature solder pool and the flux make solder wick into the joints and not bridge the gap between them. If the solder mask is well designed it will work like that. And use your hearing! When a "pop" is heard, that pin is soldered.
here Drag Soldering is explained: http://www.howardelectronics.com/jbc/dragsoldering.html

Failure is in my experience down to not using enough flux, or bad solder mask size and placement.

And these parts are small. Use a head band magnifier/loupe.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2015, 10:31:33 AM »
 :twisted: This topic needs to be bumped.  Especially with the new "Blue" system on the horizon... So, here... "BUMP", dang it...

Offline va3mw

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 09:32:27 PM »
I agree.  More flux makes it so much easier to solder.  You can clean it off later with flux cleaner.

I grabbed the wrong bottle of the 'no clean flux' at the store the other day (yes, I am lucky enough to have such a store like that near me in Toronto).

I used it on this build the other night, but to be honest, I didn't like it.  It didn't do near as good a job as the normal flux which feels sticky at times.  The normal flux helps to hold the smd parts in place too.

Mike

Offline Frode

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 02:27:24 AM »
Anyone have picture of what 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz WAN would look like?  -or GSM cell signals?
I think i have an issue with my wireless being picked up on the H-Field.
Ill start with replacing the Network cables running from the motherboard to the amp..
(i do have both Wireless network for computers, and Alarm that also sends both 2.4Ghz and GSM signals) 
im hoping i dont have to move the Alarm sentral with the GSM module.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 08:11:10 AM »
I have a wireless client out in my garage along with the Blitzortung controllers and antenna/amps.
I have not seen any problems with the WiFi being in proximity to the detectors.
I suppose that a switching power supply that feeds a WiFi device could cause harmonics that would be more of a concern for the detectors as opposed to WiFi per se.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Frode

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 04:44:38 AM »
thank you for the reply :)

ill change the adapter to see if that helps on the noise.
The Spikes i get are sort of random, so i would not bet all my money on the supply, since that should be a more permanent signal.

anything