Author Topic: Transmutation of components  (Read 674 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Transmutation of components
« on: April 17, 2014, 08:04:37 PM »
I found I was one 10 ohm resistor short, easily cured with a quick stop at the local Radio Shack.

As I neared completion of the controller board, I notice I have two of the blue 223 capacitors, and one of the 104 capacitors left.  Of course my first thought is I've screwed up and left something out.  But looking over the boards, there are NO components vacant.

My mistake, of course, was to not count out precisely the number of the various items sent, and compare to the kit list.  I guess it is better to be long than short, at least when it comes to components.

I am going to assume if all positions are filled and there are no lonesome holes left on the board that either the 10 ohm resister transmuted into the three capacitors, OR the packer got too many of the components into the packs as they were made up.

Question:  Has anyone else found either over or under counts in the necessary components as shipped?  It must be a chore to accurately package and ship as many as they have, and I'm hoping that once in awhile they count wrong (in my case too many).

Just checking.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
Re: Transmutation of components
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:59:35 PM »
I've built three complete kits. All three had the exact parts count needed. That's not to say there could not have been a goof-up. I can't imagine having to package all those kits up for shipment!

Don

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Transmutation of components
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:21:04 PM »
After high power and high light levels of inspection, numerous times, I could not find anything that was amiss.

So I cleaned the board, took a deep breath and did the test and all was well with the blinking GPS, added the display and Discover board, plugged it in again, and was dazzled with blinking, rotating, spinning lights!

All seems well.  No hot components.  No smoke.

So I'm off to find the software and proceed with flashing.

Thanks guys for all the hand holding. 

PS If anyone needs a 104 or 223 capacitor, let me know....

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php