Author Topic: Ambient Weather WS-1000-WIFI OBSERVER vs. Davis Vantage Vue  (Read 18673 times)

Offline torch

Re: Ambient Weather WS-1000-WIFI OBSERVER vs. Davis Vantage Vue
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 10:06:04 AM »
You are so confuse.

Yes. Yes I am. That's why I'm here.

In this case, I confused Meteostick with Meteoplug. I didn't clue in that they are two separate products until you clued me in. Thanks. If I understand things correctly now, the Meteostick can talk directly to the Vue sensor suite, replacing the Vue console + Weatherlink. The Meteostick would plug directly into the TP-Link TL-MR3020 running the Meteobridge software?

The Meteostick plus the Vue sensor suite alone is $10 more than the complete Vue + Weatherlink. But it would be a neater package. The Meteostck can connect to up to 8 Davis sensors. Can it mix-and-match between Vue and Vantage Pro2? I like the solar powered Vue suite, but the Vue does not appear to be expandable. It would be nice to be able to add a water temperature sensor and possibly a UV sensor in the future.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »
:D
Ok, so the meteostick only works with meteohub, not meteobridge.

Yes the meteostick replaces the console of any given setup. What I plan to do is to use meteostick with my meteohub, eliminate my logger for now, and put my console in my bedroom.

Yes meteostick can mix and match ISS, up to 8 of them (only with meteohub)

Regards.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2014, 12:33:32 PM »
There is a correction to be made here.
Meteobridge does support Meteostick but only for one station.

Regards.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2015, 04:22:08 PM »
Yes, this thead is a year and a half old and Ambient has come out with an upgrade from the WS-1000 while the Vantage Vue has remained the same for the past 8 plus years.

I've owned the Vantage Vue for over 7 years and link to Weather Underground via the WeatherLink (the Davis software/logger combo that plugs into the Vue console.  Yes, Davis sells the WeatherLinkIP data logger (the "IP" designation distinguishes it from the Console-mounted data logger).  The price just for the WeatherLInkIP data logger, not including the ISS or console is about $300 :shock: on the Davis site.  Maybe you can get it for less somewhere else, but I haven't seen it.

The new Ambient WS-1001 is the upgrade from the WS-1000.  The difference is how it communicates to the internet.  It communicates wirelessly in both directions: from the ISS to the console and from the console to your router.  That enables the ISS to display on Weather Underground without a computer.  The only function of your computer is if you have the new version of the EasyWeather software, you can automatically populate that program to show the historical records on your computer.  Otherwise, there is no need for the computer, just like what the Davis WeatherLinkIP data logger provides for the additonal $300.  The new Ambient unit sells for less than $300.

The shortcoming of using the Davis system with just the standard (non-IP) data logger is that when my computer automatically reboots in the middle of the night after a virus scan, the WeatherLink software does not reboot with it.  Consequently I get an email from Weather Underground that my station is not reporting anything until I manually have to restart WeatherLInk on my computer.  I am told by Davis that WeatherLink has no option to have it automatically boot up with the computer like many programs can do.

What the Davis does that the Ambient does NOT do is:
* 2.5 second refresh for wind versus 14 seconds for Ambient.  But Ambient does still record the highest gust within the 14 second period.
*Allows uploads to a number of different weather services in addition to WU; Ambient is compatible only with WU.

What the Ambient unit does that Davis Vantage Vue does not is:
* Provides Solar radiation and UV levels without the need to purchase another multi-hundred dollar device.
* Has the ability to connect to the internet directly through your router without the need to purchase another multi-hundred dollar device.

The comparision of the accuracy of each unit is comparable according to the many reviews of each I have read.

The Davis unit is good, but not bullet proof.  After 6 years I had to replace an $82 part, and now into my 7th year my hygrometer/temp module needs to be replaced for another $82 if I do it myself, or $125 if Davis installs it, including postage.

I have no idea of the average longevity of the Ambient unit.  But at 1/2 the cost for equivalent functions, it is worth looking at.  I've asked Santa for one.  I've been very good.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 04:25:39 PM by gfmucci »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2015, 04:34:22 PM »
I have my WL in the "Startup" menu so every time I do a reboot, WL starts automatically, I do nothing.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2015, 04:36:38 PM »
Holy mother of batman!
Talking about thread bumping!

There is no reason to update something that works period.

Good look with your new ambient... Apple vs Oranges...  #-o

----

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2015, 05:42:36 PM »
I have my WL in the "Startup" menu so every time I do a reboot, WL starts automatically, I do nothing.

That is amazing.  I just got off the phone with a Davis tech who claims that their WeatherLink program does not auto start after a reboot - that that capability is NOT built into the program.   And I have my Task Manager set to auto start WeatherLink, but it does not.  The tech told me that to get uninterrupted uploads I would need to get their $300 Datalogger IP to read directly into my router, which I will not do.

So, needless to say, I am a bit perplexed by your success, and a bit jealous.  What else did you do to accomplish that feature?

I am operating Windows 10 on a desktop HP Envy somethingorother.  My Weatherlink version is 6.0.3.  I'm only using the data logger that plugs into the console going to the computer via serial to usb converter.  Everything has been working fine for over 7 years except for the reboot non-event.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 05:52:25 PM by gfmucci »

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2015, 05:45:58 PM »
Holy mother of batman!

Thread bump?  The continuing topic is relevant to most previous posts in the thread, especially the OP.  Problem?

Thanks! :grin:  That's why I'm updating.  The Davis isn't working.
Now I'll have something that works for a few more years.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 05:47:40 PM by gfmucci »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2015, 05:54:44 PM »

That is amazing.  I just got off the phone with a Davis tech who claims that their WeatherLink program does not auto start after a reboot.   And I have my Task Manager set to auto start WeatherLink, but it does not.  The tech told me to get uninterrupted uploads I would need to get their $300 Datalogger IP to read directly into my router, which I will not do.

So, needless to say, I am a bit perplexed by your success, and a bit jealous.

I am operating Windows 10 on a desktop HP Envy somethingorother.  My Weatherlink version is 6.0.3.  I'm only using the data logger that plugs into the console going to the computer via serial to usb coverter.  Everything has been working fine for over 7 years except for the reboot bummer.
WL alone does NOT have auto restart. I have Windows 7 and version 6.0.3 also and merely went into the Start button at the bottom left of the screen, select All Programs, then Startup (located towards the bottom of the list for me) and put WL 6.0.3. there. Works flawlessly.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2015, 05:56:26 PM »
Everything has been working fine for over 7 years except for the reboot non-event.
Does Startwatch http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?action=search2 not do that?

Paul

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2015, 06:09:48 PM »

That is amazing.  I just got off the phone with a Davis tech who claims that their WeatherLink program does not auto start after a reboot.   And I have my Task Manager set to auto start WeatherLink, but it does not.  The tech told me to get uninterrupted uploads I would need to get their $300 Datalogger IP to read directly into my router, which I will not do.

I am operating Windows 10 on a desktop HP Envy somethingorother.  My Weatherlink version is 6.0.3.  I'm only using the data logger that plugs into the console going to the computer via serial to usb coverter.  Everything has been working fine for over 7 years except for the reboot bummer.
WL alone does NOT have auto restart. I have Windows 7 and version 6.0.3 also and merely went into the Start button at the bottom left of the screen, select All Programs, then Startup (located towards the bottom of the list for me) and put WL 6.0.3. there. Works flawlessly.

Using the file path you indicated using the start button, All Programs ("All Apps" in Windows 10), there is no "Startup" in the Apps list.  The only Startup options are in the Task Manager, and I have WeatherLink set for "on."  The woes of being an early (Windows 10) adopter.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2015, 06:14:32 PM »

Using the file path you indicated using the start button, All Programs ("All Apps" in Windows 10), there is no "Startup" in the Apps list.  The only Startup options are in the Task Manager, and I have WeatherLink set for "on."  The woes of being an early (Windows 10) adopter.
Well that blows. One would think Win 10 would have a similar function, cause' in 7, it surely works for me.

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2015, 06:22:52 PM »
Everything has been working fine for over 7 years except for the reboot non-event.

Paul

Thanks, Paul.  I downloaded and installed Startwatch and put my WeatherLink in the list, and enabled Startwatch to start upon reboot.  Hope it works.  That was too simple.  I probably left something out.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2015, 07:10:34 PM »
Holy mother of batman!

Thread bump?  The continuing topic is relevant to most previous posts in the thread, especially the OP.  Problem?

You do understand that you posted to a thread thats a year old.
Which than send it to the top of the forum... Which is called thread bumping... :)
But I know the path you are trying to go down and I am not going to follow.

And a helping hand for you...
This: http://www.howtogeek.com/208224/how-to-add-programs-files-and-folders-to-system-startup-in-windows-8.1/

----

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2015, 07:21:01 PM »
Holy mother of batman!

You do understand that you posted to a thread thats a year old.
Which than send it to the top of the forum... Which is called thread bumping... :)
But I know the path you are trying to go down and I am not going to follow.

And a helping hand for you...
This: http://www.howtogeek.com/208224/how-to-add-programs-files-and-folders-to-system-startup-in-windows-8.1/

Thanks for that potentially helpful "howtogeek" link.

And yes, I did know the age of this thread I posted to.  Here are my opening 21 words: "Yes, this thead is a year and a half old and Ambient has come out with an upgrade from the WS-1000..." 

And I saw the "old thread" warning at the beginning, but used my mostly decent judgement to add what I hoped would be additional helpful info to this thread anyway.  I hope that doesn't bother too many people or screw up the web site.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:32:57 PM by gfmucci »

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2015, 07:31:30 PM »

Paul
Unfortunately, in the time I wanted to devote to making Startwatch work, it didn't.  Also, even if it opened the WeatherLink program shell, it still needed to open the Weather Link Bulletin and one of my graphs within the shell.  In Florida lingo, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.  Thanks for the suggestion though.  It was worth a try.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2015, 12:30:07 AM »
Another thing I've observed in that Ambient unit is the huge gaps in the wind increment. Might as well just read the wind in Beaufort Scale which I believe is a unit of measure on the Ambient. Have they fixed this in the newer version?

I have to 2nd xcom's comment about apples to oranges. The Ambient is marketed to those who don't want to spend for the Vantage Vue and want to be able to send to Wunderground out of the box rather than buy the PC module, fiddle with software.

Davis is more of "home-fessional" unit designed for those who want higher quality than the Chinese units but at a relatively affordable price and may not want items like WeatherLink.

I don't know the circumstances around the 7 year life span. I know some Davis products today are going on 20 years. I have a Digitar (pre-Davis) ALT-6 Weather Master from 1990 and it's still running.

If the Ambient is like other Chinese products, in 2 years it will turn yellow, by 7 it will be a brown color that is if it does still work. (And the parts haven't broken due to UV induced plastic deterioration)
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2015, 09:30:15 AM »
Another thing I've observed in that Ambient unit is the huge gaps in the wind increment. Might as well just read the wind in Beaufort Scale which I believe is a unit of measure on the Ambient. Have they fixed this in the newer version?

I have to 2nd xcom's comment about apples to oranges. The Ambient is marketed to those who don't want to spend for the Vantage Vue and want to be able to send to Wunderground out of the box rather than buy the PC module, fiddle with software.

Davis is more of "home-fessional" unit designed for those who want higher quality than the Chinese units but at a relatively affordable price and may not want items like WeatherLink.

I don't know the circumstances around the 7 year life span. I know some Davis products today are going on 20 years. I have a Digitar (pre-Davis) ALT-6 Weather Master from 1990 and it's still running.

If the Ambient is like other Chinese products, in 2 years it will turn yellow, by 7 it will be a brown color that is if it does still work. (And the parts haven't broken due to UV induced plastic deterioration)

Yes, I agree that the Ambient WS-1001 has to be a bit lower quality to sell at a somwhat lower price for similar features.

Although I plotted hurricanes on a paper map with my dad from the time I was age 6 and am somewhat of a weather junky still, I enjoy new tech a lot, too.  And since the Ambient WS-1001 is new tech, I want to see what their device is like.  I will actually keep both units (the Vue - with its klutzy WeatherLink software package  - and the WS-1001) on the same pole for as long as either of them hold up.  The view mainly for its 2.5 second wind; the WS-1001 for most everything else.

As to longevity, pushing 70, I will turn brown or some other color at just about the same time as the WS-1001 does.

Interesting...I just looked out the window at my neightbors' Accu-rite ISS he's had up for 6 months.  I don't recall if it started out pure white, but I notice it is now about 4 shades tanner that white - and my 7+ year old Vue is white white by comparison.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:46:06 AM by gfmucci »

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2015, 10:27:12 AM »
Yes.

WeatherLink is pretty much a startup program. I don't think it was written for the hardcore user. Most Davis users use 3rd party software. I for example use Weather Display. Davis is probably the most supported brand by software developers. Lots of options to choose from.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2015, 10:30:43 AM »

Yes, I agree that the Ambient WS-1001 has to be a bit lower quality to sell at a somwhat lower price for similar features.
I will actually keep both units (the Vue - with its klutzy WeatherLink software package  - and the WS-1001)

I agree davis software sucks but that tells me that you didnt read this whole thread because they are so many options out there to choose from when it comes to hardware/software... So to me You still dont get it.
For those out there who really care about their hobby and will like to invest on a product that has an amazing return I leave you with this:

AcuRite and Ambient are really cheap products... There is a reason why they are so cheap in comparison.
They are not made to last... and if you want proof go here:

https://www.facebook.com/CyclonePerformanceWeatherInstruments/

My Davis Vantage Vue has gone through the worst weathers here in Texas! We had a hail storm that had hail of the size of golf balls or bigger and my vue is still rocking!
My neighbors ambient not so much...
If you want to throw away money than by all means go for it...
But remember this.... Davis you buy it once.... Ambient/AcuRite get ready to spend some money....
Anything man made is not perfect thats for sure...

Some times Its not about future comparison. Its about return.

Good luck to all. :)

----

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2015, 11:20:34 AM »
I agree davis software sucks but that tells me that you didnt read this whole thread because they are so many options out there to choose from when it comes to hardware/software... So to me You still dont get it.

Actually I've used the Aussie Weather Display for 6 years and go back and forth between the two.  What is it I'm supposed to "get?"  No, I am not exactly like you.  We don't all have the same goals, the same wallets, and the same preferences.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 11:35:35 AM by gfmucci »

Offline sensij

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2016, 06:55:40 PM »
What the Ambient unit does that Davis Vantage Vue does not is:
* Provides Solar radiation and UV levels without the need to purchase another multi-hundred dollar device.
* Has the ability to connect to the internet directly through your router without the need to purchase another multi-hundred dollar device.

The comparision of the accuracy of each unit is comparable according to the many reviews of each I have read.

For the price, I would probably have been tempted try the Ambient unit, although my Davis is ordered and will be delivered this weekend.  The accuracy of the Ambient solar radiation sensor is +/-15%, the Davis 6450 is +/-3% for incident angle up to 70 deg, and +/-10% for 70-85 deg.  A different league.

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2016, 07:43:18 PM »
In practical use by the weather hobbyists reporting their WS-1001 solar readings with those shown by Davis instruments, the results were declared to be roughly equivalent.  I agree that if the solar sensors were expected to be used for scientific measuring purposes, the Davis would be the right choice. 

It would be interesting to go to Weather Underground and find stations with solar readings in the same region, and to compare the readings of Davis instruments with the Ambient WS-1001 and see if there is a significant difference.  Based on the reviews I've read, my guess is there is not.

I got my Vue ISS replacement in the mail today.  I'll be setting it up tomorrow.  It cost only a bit more to get a totally new ISS vs. replacing the faulty temp/hygrometer module.  I already spent $82 getting a new battery module a year ago.  But this original ISS is 7 years old.  I should have gotten a new ISS before I spent that money for my first repair.  Two repairs cost as much as a totally new unit.

Since I would have to get a whole new $1,000 plus station to get a Davis with any solar sensors, 15% accuracy with the Ambient unit for $300 is fine for my purposes, if I decide to get a system with solar readings.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:54:54 PM by gfmucci »

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2016, 12:37:21 AM »

I will actually keep both units (the Vue - with its klutzy WeatherLink software package  - and the WS-1001)

For those out there who really care about their hobby and will like to invest on a product that has an amazing return I leave you with this:

AcuRite and Ambient are really cheap products... There is a reason why they are so cheap in comparison.
They are not made to last... and if you want proof go here:

https://www.facebook.com/CyclonePerformanceWeatherInstruments/

My Davis Vantage Vue has gone through the worst weathers here in Texas! We had a hail storm that had hail of the size of golf balls or bigger and my vue is still rocking!
My neighbors ambient not so much...
If you want to throw away money than by all means go for it...
But remember this.... Davis you buy it once.... Ambient/AcuRite get ready to spend some money....
Anything man made is not perfect thats for sure...

Some times Its not about future comparison. Its about return.

Good luck to all. :)
I 2nd this.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline ch8ch

• ***ch8ch***
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2016, 02:53:59 AM »
Davis is worth the extra money for sure. I had an AW in the past and had constant connection issues. So I tried an Acurite 5 in 1 to replace it and that lasted about a week....too many issues to list here. So I broke down and bought what I always wanted (Davis). I love it and it's justified by the quality and features and also reliability. The Davis is an instrument. Everything else is a kit....

anything