Author Topic: Bizarre Behavior from WMR968 Anemometer  (Read 1307 times)

Offline K6BUK

Bizarre Behavior from WMR968 Anemometer
« on: April 18, 2012, 06:38:46 AM »
Greetings:

I have a WMR968 that has functioned perfectly for 10-12 years.  Just replaced the first set of NiCads a couple of months ago.  I have a strange problem.  I am a ham radio operator and recently installed our club's repeater at my house.  It puts out 50 watts on 147.360.  (I am at the top of a hill over the Sacramento valley - ideal for a repeater.)  The antenna is near my anemometer and the anemometer causes large amounts of static and distortion on the repeater (a repeater just repeats a signal from another radio and broadcasts it over a wider area).  This is the opposite of what I would expect as the repeater should overpower the anemometer.  The solar transmitter was first located the full length of the original cable (~9.5') away from the antenna.  I extended the length by an additional 25' and there was no change.  During a busy talk session I unplugged the transmitter from the end of the 25' cable thinking the noise came from the transmitter.  Surprise!  The noise (interference) continued even when the anemometer was unpowered but had the extra 25' of cable attached.  I climbed on the roof and disconnected the new cable and the noise went away.  I am not sure if the anemometer with its original cable causes noise as there is always some residual noise on ham radio.  I am thinking about taking apart the anemometer and soldering in Cat 5e cable to see if that helps.  I am worried that if I take apart a unit this old that the plastic will fall apart.  Does anyone know what the sensors use for measurement?  Are they photodiodes or reed switches or maybe a hall-effect switch?  The antenna and anemometer are on the peak of my roof which comes to a point so I can't really relocate either.  Any ideas?  Sorry for the long post but I wanted to explain the problem thoroughly.  The noise happens even when there isn't any wind.

Regards,

Michael