Author Topic: Adding a shielded patch cable  (Read 3632 times)

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
Adding a shielded patch cable
« on: September 08, 2009, 05:37:23 PM »
Well I finally had time (and help) to install my Boltek StormTracker in the attic of my 2 story house. Had to pull cable from the basement as that is where the WX PC resides. The supplied cable was about 25 feet short for my install. I have to make the final run within a drop ceiling and it will be close to some light fixtures so I was wondering if I can use a shielded 25 foot cat5e patch cable inline with the boltek cable? Would it help with potential noise from light fixtures? Any thoughts appreciated.
Bill

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
Re: Adding a shielded patch cable
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 01:12:30 AM »
If it was me I would go out a buy a cable that is long enough instead of using two cables just so you have a good solid data stream since it seams like you have a long run since 50' was to short. The noise you will experience will be more from the antenna if any rather then from the cable itself. There have been some that have tested shielded vs non-shielded and some saw no difference while others did. It just depends on how my noise you have around you, but most of it will be because of where the antenna is sited rather then the cable.

I would definitely get a longer cable that is one piece though.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 01:22:28 AM »
 ... and if you do go with a shielded cable you should ground only the end at the console/P.C. That is, connect the shield to the P.C. chassis and leave the shield at the antenna end unterminated.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 06:40:18 AM »
Thanks for the info. One longer cable would definitely be best. If I went that route would cat6 work best for the detector? The thought of working back up in the attic again doesn't thrill me but perhaps when the weather cools down. For the time being I think I'll just use a standard cat5e patch and see what happens.

Noise
I've seen discussions on the astrogenic forum regarding high noise counts during lightning but what kind of daily noise counts do people get when there is no activity around? I realize 0 noise is ideal but am curious what others get.
Bill

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 06:53:37 AM »
I get zero to 5 noises a day, with distant storms or far lighting.  Compared to several hundred to a few thousand strikes.  Right now there is some activity over Michigan, about 300 miles away, my strike count since midnight is 1818, to 3 noises.   So I am confident there is no noise in my house or nearby affecting the boltek...

During an overhead storm, the strike to noise count can be 1 to 1

Andrew

Noise
I've seen discussions on the astrogenic forum regarding high noise counts during lightning but what kind of daily noise counts do people get when there is no activity around? I realize 0 noise is ideal but am curious what others get.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

anything