Author Topic: Time to purchase my first weather station :-) : Davis Vantage Pro 2  (Read 2917 times)

Offline bennie

Hello my new found friends,

I've recently joined this website and trawled many many MANY threads. I've had a general fascination for weather over the years and as I've got older (heading towards 50 now). The time has now arrived to jump into this hobby. :-)

I was initially looking at the Vantage Vue to get started, but having read so many posts about the ability to have separate sensors is winning me over.

In looking at the Vantage products I see at the top-end there are a few features that push the price of the unit up.

Note: I live in Bacchus Marsh, Victoria, Australia  --- A temperate climate, with no snow.

My question is: which Pro version to get, and is it really worth it?

Here's the pricing from Davis Net's Aussie distributor

6250AU - Vantage Vue                      : $ 715.00
6152AU - Vantage Pro 2 - Wireless         : $1034.00
6152C  - Vantage Pro 2 - Cabled           : $ 957.00
6153AU - Vantage Pro 2 Fan Aspirated      : $1287.00
6162AU - Vantage Pro 2 Plus - Wireless    : $1595.00
6162C  - Vantage Pro 2 Plus - Cabled      : $1562.00
6163AU - Vantage Pro 2 Plus Fan Aspirated (inc solar/UV) : $1881.00

I've also read up about Belfryboy Clone USB logger. So, I think that would be a good path to head down.

I work in IT myself and have been a programmer for years. So looking at doing a couple of things from a data perspective, sending the data to Wundergroup and getting CumulusMX going as well and getting it on my own personal website.

I've got a Rasp Pi sitting here doing not much at the moment, so the goal is to run the unit through this 24/7.  Plus it's a Mac only household here as well.  I've also read about Meteobridge, but that seems quite an expensive route to take.

From a cost perspective, I've then got to look at the additional costs of mounting the units in their various places. Having researched that the anemometer needs (optimally) mounted quite high, that is a task that will be down the track.

Sorry for the basic question here, but with the anemometer being put up a mounting pole. I presume there is cable between the anemometer and the solar transmitter kit?

Or do I need to purchase one of these separately?
https://www.davisnet.com/product/anemometersensor-transmitter-kit/

The big question really is, which model to get? The vue is out of the question. Plus going wireless will make life easier.

Is the FARS really worth it? Is the Plus models worth it as well?

What other components are really required to get up and running?

You jump from $1,034 for the basic vantage pro model and obviously go up.  Yes, I understand that I'm brand new to this and it's a lot of money to spend on a new hobby.

Really looking forward to being part of this community. I've really enjoyed many many of your posts.

Thanks for listening to a newbie and I thank you in advance for your help and guidance.

Take Care.
Bennie

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
Re: Time to purchase my first weather station :-) : Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 09:32:00 PM »
you could also looking at using consolewd
on your raspberry pi
(easy to install and setup)

Offline Vertikar

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 10:16:07 PM »
You could run meteohub on your raspberry pi as an option to the meteobridge..
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:33:40 PM by Vertikar »

Offline bennie

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 10:24:58 PM »
you could also looking at using consolewd
on your raspberry pi
(easy to install and setup)

Thanks my friend for the advice here! I'll google it now! I've had my little rasp pi II, sitting there for a couple of years, doing not much! I'm glad it's about to get some use!

You could run meteohub on your raspberry pi as an option to the meteobridge..

Hi Vertikar, I haven't read about the meteohub. Time for some more googling!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 10:26:38 PM »
The prices do escalate beyond the North American market, but then also quite a bit higher here next door in Canada primarily due to the $ exchange rate.  Many folks like the View but the VP2 does give you more options if you may want to do that in the future - i.e. soil temp extra sensors.  I don't have the Fan or Plus model with my still well running nearly 10 year old VP2, and not yet having to do any replacements what-so-ever.  However I have thought about upgrading.

I have my VP2 mounted on a 10 foot 1.3/8" steel pole attached to an 8 foot 6x6" wooded post so not to the full 33 feet as recommended, but then 33 feet would not even be high enough to clear the larger trees around the area.  And a transmitter kit wouldn't be helpful for my location either.  So a bit of compromise with that.

Cabled would be some lower cost but will loose some flexibility compared to wireless and in the whole scheme of things not that great a cost difference.

We do get some hot summer days here, occasional up to 36°C, but I have not really seen a significant difference between official station and my data.  However from what I have learned here on the forum, if I was in a very hot environment I could be persuaded with a 24FARS, and the Plus does add some more weather info.

You will like your Davis!
Paul

Offline bennie

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 10:46:54 PM »
The prices do escalate beyond the North American market, but then also quite a bit higher here next door in Canada primarily due to the $ exchange rate.  Many folks like the View but the VP2 does give you more options if you may want to do that in the future - i.e. soil temp extra sensors.  I don't have the Fan or Plus model with my still well running nearly 10 year old VP2, and not yet having to do any replacements what-so-ever.  However I have thought about upgrading.

I have my VP2 mounted on a 10 foot 1.3/8" steel pole attached to an 8 foot 6x6" wooded post so not to the full 33 feet as recommended, but then 33 feet would not even be high enough to clear the larger trees around the area.  And a transmitter kit wouldn't be helpful for my location either.  So a bit of compromise with that.

Cabled would be some lower cost but will loose some flexibility compared to wireless and in the whole scheme of things not that great a cost difference.

We do get some hot summer days here, occasional up to 36°C, but I have not really seen a significant difference between official station and my data.  However from what I have learned here on the forum, if I was in a very hot environment I could be persuaded with a 24FARS, and the Plus does add some more weather info.

You will like your Davis!
Paul

G'day Paul! Thanks for the detailed reply mate. It's very much appreciated.

Yes, Australia does cop a bit of a price rise hike for products sold out of the USA. Such is life on that one.

Your recommendation for the VP2, as you say, does give the option to add to when the need arises. It makes sense from my perspective. Plus as a long term investment. An extra $1,000 over say ten years. Really isn't that much to pay.

The 10-foot mount sounds like a safe an easy option to start with compared to the recommended 10 metres. Baby steps for me. I'll get the unit going and we'll continue from there. Thankfully I live on 1/2 acre here so have a heap of open space in which to hoist the gear.

Where I live we do have extreme heat. Where I live, looking at a max of 44c. We often during summer get multiple 40c+ days in a row.  The Plus/FARS version does look tempting.

re: Cable Vs Wireless. Wireless seems the smart move. Less cables, less troubles.

One thing that I do 'worry' a little over is that the pro 2 has been around such a long time. Knowing my luck in life, I'll buy the unit and Davis will release their brand new 2018 model! <hahahaha> : I'm sure a lot of people have been saying that for years.

Thanks for your kind welcome my friend.
Bennie

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 10:53:30 PM »

re: Cable Vs Wireless. Wireless seems the smart move. Less cables, less troubles.

That's not necessarily true.  Cable doesn't have any RF problems, and no problem with other Davis stations nearby.  But if installing cable is really inconvenient, then using the wireless units makes sense.

Offline bennie

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 11:00:40 PM »
That's not necessarily true.  Cable doesn't have any RF problems, and no problem with other Davis stations nearby.  But if installing cable is really inconvenient, then using the wireless units makes sense.

Thanks for your reply. That response does make sense. Practically Vs Risk.

Overall, the ease of installation (and having a larger property) the ease of use for wireless wins out. Fingers crossed that I don't experience any or few wireless issues.

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 03:35:24 AM »
My VP2 came from the Aussie Distributors,
but then I added UV, Solar & Fan aspiration from the US.

Saved me a few hundred in the end.

Phil

Offline bennie

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 04:38:13 AM »
My VP2 came from the Aussie Distributors,
but then I added UV, Solar & Fan aspiration from the US.

Saved me a few hundred in the end.

Phil

G'day Phil,

Lovely to meet you mate! In browsing this forum over the past week, I've come across a few of your posts and your great weather website!

Thanks for the advice, re: the purchase the base model and look at the additional extras via the states. I'll need to check out the exchange rates to see how everything comes out.

You'd think getting everything in package would be cheaper. Alas, reality maybe different.

Take care and please, talk soon.
Benjamin

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 07:18:24 AM »
If you have any questions about the BelfryBoy logger just send me personal message, and I'll try to help out the best that I can.

Offline Robbie936

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
Hello Bennie,
I live just across the border in near Kingston SE and I purchased a Davis 6152AU Vantage Pro 2 Wireless two years ago. I have not had any problems with it at all. It is situated about 70 metres from the house and the connection is solid. I also got the data logger 6555 WeatherlinkIP  to download the data to my computer ($412) and recently fitted the UV and Solar sensors ($700). I am hoping the wife has bought me a Meteobridge Pro for Christmas. Don't forget to get a mounting pole as well, don't want it all ready to go and no place to mount it!
I purchased everything from Davis Instruments here in Oz and they were good to deal with.
My weather data is at Weatherlink...

http://www.weatherlink.com/user/randj/index.php?view=summary&headers=1

Rob

Offline bennie

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 05:56:35 PM »
If you have any questions about the BelfryBoy logger just send me personal message, and I'll try to help out the best that I can.

Thanks my friend! Will be sending you a message shortly! :-)

Hello Bennie,
I live just across the border in near Kingston SE and I purchased a Davis 6152AU Vantage Pro 2 Wireless two years ago. I have not had any problems with it at all. It is situated about 70 metres from the house and the connection is solid. I also got the data logger 6555 WeatherlinkIP  to download the data to my computer ($412) and recently fitted the UV and Solar sensors ($700). I am hoping the wife has bought me a Meteobridge Pro for Christmas. Don't forget to get a mounting pole as well, don't want it all ready to go and no place to mount it!
I purchased everything from Davis Instruments here in Oz and they were good to deal with.
My weather data is at Weatherlink...

http://www.weatherlink.com/user/randj/index.php?view=summary&headers=1

Rob
Hi Rob,

Lovely to meet you mate! Great to hear that you've had an excellent experience with your Davis unit. Just out of interest, if you've already got the data logger, why are you also interested in getting the Meteobridge Pro. From my quick research, this will be a replacement for your logger?

Ahhhh. Having quickly googled the benefits, I've realised most likely, that you're wanting the ability to not have a computer on all the time! That makes sense.

The path that I'll most likely go down is the Rasp Pi and with belfryboy's data logging. I'm hoping that this will achieve the same results, but at a far less cost.

However from a ease of use perspective, the almost plug-n-play the Meteobridge Pro is an easy choice!

I'm still tossing up which unit exactly to get. On a side note, I'm heading for foot surgery today, so the purchase of the unit, won't be until just after Xmas, when I'm back on my feet! Plus the ability to install the Davis units!

Thanks for the tip re: the mounting pole!!!

I'm excited but planning the purchase methodically & carefully.

Take care Robbie and thanks again for your advice!
Bennie

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 06:17:35 PM »
....Just out of interest, if you've already got the data logger, why are you also interested in getting the Meteobridge Pro. From my quick research, this will be a replacement for your logger?

Ahhhh. Having quickly googled the benefits, I've realised most likely, that you're wanting the ability to not have a computer on all the time! That makes sense....

Meteobridge pro is a very different device and has much more in-built and user capability than any of the Davis loggers. It really depends on exactly where and how you want to push your data. Also keep in mind the Davis WeatherLink IP logger does not require a computer but of course you are limited to where the data goes.

....the almost plug-n-play the Meteobridge Pro is an easy choice!..
Meteobridge Pro can get very involved if you want to get into some of the MBPro capabilities, it can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it.

Offline bennie

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 06:24:21 PM »
Hi Mattk,

Thanks for the reply my friend!

I have so much to learn. I've been reading/researching as much as I can. I'll have to jump further into the threads about the Meteobridge pro unit.

Regarding, where I want to push my data. I really don't know yet. I'm right at the start of this journey. I'm definitely, taking my time before rushing out and buying anything. Getting to know the pros/cons etc. It's always a combination of one's own research and getting great advice from people that have gone on this journey before me. i.e you and the contributors to my post.

Thanks again Mattk!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 06:25:09 PM »
Where I live we do have extreme heat. Where I live, looking at a max of 44c. We often during summer get multiple 40c+ days in a row.  The Plus/FARS version does look tempting.
I also live in a very hot climate, even if not, I can't recommend a FARS enough, be it 24hr or at least the DFARS.

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 06:56:11 PM »
Welcome aboard bennie!
You can't go wrong with Davis. I wished I researched more than I did when I bought my 1st Weather Station ( Acurite ). I did end up with the Davis 6163, it's the prosumer PWS to own. Is there Better, yep but be prepared to open your wallet pretty wide. As for the cost of the Davis, I think it's pretty good for what you get and with all hobbies at this level, Davis is a pretty cheap Hobby compared to Photography, Audio/Videophile, Custom Motorcycles and Autos, Home built Computer/Electronics and even Model RR can get quite expensive 8-).............

Oh I forgot, the Anemometer is cabled to the Wireless ISS up to 40Ft...........
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:58:33 PM by benay ra'am »

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline bennie

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 04:21:18 AM »
I also live in a very hot climate, even if not, I can't recommend a FARS enough, be it 24hr or at least the DFARS.

Thanks for this advice my friend. The whole point of buying a top-end prosumer equipment is to obviously get the accuracy

Welcome aboard bennie!
You can't go wrong with Davis. I wished I researched more than I did when I bought my 1st Weather Station ( Acurite ). I did end up with the Davis 6163, it's the prosumer PWS to own. Is there Better, yep but be prepared to open your wallet pretty wide. As for the cost of the Davis, I think it's pretty good for what you get and with all hobbies at this level, Davis is a pretty cheap Hobby compared to Photography, Audio/Videophile, Custom Motorcycles and Autos, Home built Computer/Electronics and even Model RR can get quite expensive 8-).............

Oh I forgot, the Anemometer is cabled to the Wireless ISS up to 40Ft...........

Hi ra'am! Lovely to meet you! I've spent another week researching and reading, etc. I had a good look at the Acurite and um'd arr'd about it. Do I dip my toes into the water and see what it's like?

Your comment about a hobby is correct. I used to be a professional part-time photography and with no qualms would happily drop $3,000 on a lens. It's all perspective, isn't it!!! :-)

re: the cable for the anemometer, beauty! thanks for the confirmation.

The choice has now been made. I'm going to bite the bullet and get the:

6163AU - Vantage Pro 2 Plus Fan Aspirated (inc solar/UV)
Along with Belfryboy's Clone USB logger.
Mounting pole
Mounting tripod

That's pretty much all I need for now correct?

Then the fun part of getting the RaspPi working, connecting etc.

Thanks everyone for your wise words, support and encouragement!

Take Care.
Bennie

Offline bennie

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 09:14:03 PM »
OK... The countdown to the arrival on the weather station is on.

The purchase has been made!

6163AU - Vantage Pro 2 Plus Fan Aspirated (inc solar/UV)

Mounting tripod

I took your advice my friend and bite the bullet, dug deep and get the FARS version.

Hopefully, it should arrive on Friday! :-)

As an added bonus, I've also purchased the Vantage Vue for my in-laws. They love the weather and this will be a real surprise for them.

x2 Rasp pi's should be arriving today as well!

Once everything is setup will happily post a photo of hte setup!

Thanks for everyone's great advice. I really appreciate it!
Bennie

anything