Author Topic: So...WeatherUnderground is discontinuing webcams Dec 15 - options?  (Read 20295 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: So...WeatherUnderground is discontinuing webcams Dec 15 - options?
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 08:36:37 AM »
Just FYI, Im co-operating with the Weathercloud guys and very soon there will be a mobile app, which will make the service even more attractive

Offline DaveG

• Highland Lakes Weather
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 11:12:17 AM »
Interesting timing.  Just before I read Jachym's post I moved my webcam image references on Weathercloud from WU to the new image locations on my host server.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:29:21 PM by Toxic »
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline DaveG

• Highland Lakes Weather
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 12:42:13 PM »
So, it's official, and the WU webcam option is being removed.  I'm glad I got a jump on moving them to my own host server.  And, thanks to Jachym and Meteotemplate for the webcam plugin so we can store images if we want to.

Offline Soweather

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 12:48:14 PM »
Can you share a link to the Meteotemplate?

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 01:01:53 PM »
At least the "gold stars" are safe.   :lol:

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 01:16:46 PM »
At least the "gold stars" are safe.   :lol:

Shhhhh, don't speak to loudly ;)
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 01:45:54 PM »
so what's next to be cut from WU?
personal weather station data ?

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 01:47:40 PM »
Emails are going out to individual webcam owners right now.   This evening after owners read the email, I forecast a  S*** storm delux.

Grab the popcorn and get ready.

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2017, 01:49:40 PM »
I just spent over three hours trying to link my station to Weathercloud without success, so I guess I will continue uploading weather data to WU even without webcams.

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2017, 01:59:06 PM »
I just spent over three hours trying to link my station to Weathercloud without success, so I guess I will continue uploading weather data to WU even without webcams.

Mark

May be that their servers are loaded with all the blow back from WU webcam migration

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2017, 02:16:27 PM »
If I can't get my camera up on weather cloud, I may retask it as a critter camera, if I can figure out how to record video.

Also, I have noticed that a great percentage of wu cameras in my area are really used as security cameras.  Views of houses, driveways, lawns etc
There a plenty security cams that let you view home from remote devices.  They cost money.   No free lunches.  We rode that horse too long.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »
Also, I have noticed that a great percentage of wu cameras in my area are really used as security cameras.  Views of houses, driveways, lawns etc
There a plenty security cams that let you view home from remote devices.  They cost money.   No free lunches.  We rode that horse too long.

The question is, how many of those actually have a weather station  :shock:
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2017, 03:57:34 PM »

The question is, how many of those actually have a weather station  :shock:

ALL the ones I looked at with  sketchy webcam shots have weather stations associated with them.

Offline opsmanager

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2017, 05:31:33 PM »
Does WeatherCloud have an option to ftp webcams?

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »
Does WeatherCloud have an option to ftp webcams?

Looks like they are URL only         https://weathercloud.net/site/faq#faq-webcam

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2017, 06:53:33 PM »
I have of course seen services being discontinued in the past, however...

it was either that it was only no new users - existing content was maintained
or
they gave you some period during which you could download your data before it gets removed.

In their post, WU says they will remove everything and not provide any means for you to be able to download stuff. This is a big warning to anyone sending data to them! Unbelievable. It is hard to tell if they are forced to behave like this or if they are just *. From my perspective this is unacceptable, although in case of WU I would be very surprised if it was not like this.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:55:51 PM by Jáchym »

Offline DaveG

• Highland Lakes Weather
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2017, 07:08:50 PM »
I've got over 5 years of weather data on WU for one of my stations that I really should import into Meteotemplate.  I'm about half afraid to try it.  I did a little over a year of it when I first changed to MT.  I would think they want to keep our weather data flowing in as they use it to generate revenue.  Who knows.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2017, 06:17:00 AM »
Having personal website is always an option. This can be problematic however in the web is huge and having visitors with interest even find your site isn't easy.
Even when I knew where to find webcams on WU I personally rarely referenced other webcams or even weather data unless I was looking at my own and occasionally nearby mainly winter snow to see what was coming.

http://www.weatherusa.net/skycamnet may take your camera if you have an existing website.

I've been on weatherusa.net since they about started and do get occasional visitors linked from them.

My personal website averages 150 unique visitors daily after being established almost 4 years. It will all depend on the area you live in, this being one of the most rural and isolated areas in USA with very low population, will never exceed what it is now. 

Randy

Offline rrwcf

• "How's the weather up there?"
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 07:02:43 AM »
Any link or statement from WU confirming this is true? Weather Underground is discontinuing webcams Dec 15
From their site:
<quote>

WU says goodbye to Webcams
← Webcams
At Weather Underground, our mission has always been to provide “weather for all” – for anyone, any location, across any medium, and through any lens. We know it’s an incredible experience to witness colorful sunrises and sunsets, various cloud formations, and other awe-inspiring weather events, which is why we’ve always encouraged you to capture them with your cameras, phones, and webcams.

After 10 years of proudly displaying your webcam footage across our website and apps, we sadly have to remove this functionality as we no longer have the necessary resources to maintain it. On December 15, 2017, we’ll remove the webcam feeds from our website, mobile apps, and within our API – meaning uploading and accessing webcam footage will no longer be available.

This wasn’t an easy decision for us and while we can no longer host your webcam feeds on our servers, we hope you’ll continue to keep your webcams running and an eye on the sky.

We’ve created this FAQ page to help address any questions you might have.

(Rom 1:16,17)
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is reve

Offline rrwcf

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2017, 08:02:42 AM »
Please see the text I added to my WEBCAM shot this morning.  (Assuming that WU ever gets around to posting the pic...)  It's not much, but I feel better.

I STRONGLY believe that the WebCam feature is a vital compliment to the Personal Weather Station (PWS).  "Luke Outta Window" is the staff meteorologist on NPR's (yuck!) weekly Tappet Bros. program.  Seeing the sky gives an important perspective on the WX.  I look for webcam shots especially during approaching snow and hurricane events.

I have invested a lot of time, energy, and money to provide excellent met data to the PWS network.  The same is true of my webcam.  It's not a shot of my driveway or the kid's playground.  It's mostly sky - just as WU recommends.  Ironically, I am expecting delivery of a new, higher resolution IP camera this week.  I planned to set it up as a WU/webcam.

I've used three software packages (one was free), and the two up upload methods offered by WU.  I knew that the update and consistency problems were on their end, however.  I was hoping that with their corporate acquisition(s) that they would find the money to upgrade their servers, storage, processes, and thus their reliability.

WU DEPENDS on PWSs.  The Personal Weather Station is the BACKBONE of their entire system.  Some of you have threatened to leave them and go to another WX service site.  That's fine!  I'd like to leave, too.  I'm making the sacrifices and WU is making the money on sometimes cheap and tawdry ad revenue. (NOT TO MENTION WU's position on Man-made Global Climate Change - a bucket of swill - but it's California, right?) 

But even if ALL OF US leave WU - will it lead to any corporate change?  There's not enough of us to make a difference, is there?

I'd like to do something significant here.  Leaving WU is kinda anti-climatic.

I'm very frustrated.

Question: Is there any Weather site that comes close to the size and significance of WeatherUnderground for their use of PWSs?

Thanks for reading my rant.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is reve

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2017, 08:56:38 AM »
Something else to keep in mind.  In addition to their ad revenue, they make money on your and everyone else's data that it sent to them by selling to whoever they want to, for a profit, and we PWS owners have no say about it, nor are compensated for it, despite our substantial investment. If all 200,000+ PWS Owners pulled their stations and subsequent data, it would get their attention, I would assure you.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline rrwcf

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 09:07:42 AM »
Something else to keep in mind.  In addition to their ad revenue, they make money on your and everyone else's data that it sent to them by selling to whoever they want to, for a profit, and we PWS owners have no say about it, nor are compensated for it, despite our substantial investment. If all 200,000+ PWS Owners pulled their stations and subsequent data, it would get their attention, I would assure you.

John

John, I know you are right but I seriously doubt that a significant number of PWS owners will pull out.

I have been operating for a pretty long time - and I have urged people to visit and subscribe to WU.  I have said that it is the BEST WX site around and feature rich.  Although features have slowly been removed, it is still the best site I know.  (I'd love to hear any suggestions that challenge this view.)

Someone recommended that WU could limit upload intervals to 15 minutes and stop offering the videos.  I like the videos, though.  Also, someone suggested that WU could limit the number of cameras by not allowing "mostly sky" scenes.  There are a lot of useless Webcams that have no real weather value.

Maybe -- WU could revisit this decision and salvage the Webcams by making a couple of technical and policy changes.

I'd like to do something to help them reverse their decision.

For therein is reve

anything