Author Topic: WS-1002 Wifi LCD is dead, need to retrieve data...  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Rich_Data

WS-1002 Wifi LCD is dead, need to retrieve data...
« on: October 13, 2017, 01:35:34 PM »
Hi, I bought an Ambient Weather WS-1002 wifi in April in order to accumulate climate data for a regional study on the Pine Bark Beetle epidemic hammering the Rockies. I also need the remote function of seeing the weather at home while I am abroad and that works great with the connectivity to Wunderground. The unit has really been great to use, no issues until recently.

But, I have had the misfortune of having the LCD display die, it's completely black and nothing will bring it back to life. However, the system is working and I am getting info on Wunderground.

I need to get the data off of it before I RMA it for an exchange. I have EasyWeather IP installed but don't see any guidance in regards to that.

Also, if I decide to replace this for a more robust unit, which I may, what will do the same things in terms of connectivity but be more reliable?

Thanks,

Rich
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 01:38:07 PM by Rich_Data »

Offline Rich_Data

Re: WS-1002 Wifi LCD is dead, need to retrieve data...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 02:07:09 PM »
OK, I managed to get the data off but it is going to be a chore to enter into the broad set as it is in PDF format, not CSV.

The thing is working perfectly but the screen is blank. Darn.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 03:15:42 PM »
OK, I managed to get the data off but it is going to be a chore to enter into the broad set as it is in PDF format, not CSV.

Google "pdf to csv", and you find ways, even on-line, to convert your PDF to a CSV file. I did it once to capture 150 years of rain data. It wasn't perfect, but needed minumal editing.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 03:37:32 PM »
But, I have had the misfortune of having the LCD display die,

Is this the console? If it is, have you tried connecting a USB to it and see if you can get to the data? Maybe it is just the LCD gone bad.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »
If the PDF is just a fixed width table, it's usually possible to copy & paste the contents to a Text file & then read the fixed width fields into Excel.

If the data is spread over 2 lines, a bit of work with Search & Replace in NotePad++ will usually get it into a usable format.