Author Topic: Is the Ambient 2902 weather station any good?  (Read 7361 times)

Offline Hockeyjr8

Is the Ambient 2902 weather station any good?
« on: August 25, 2017, 02:26:50 PM »
I'm trying to decide which weather station to buy and I'm just wondering if the ambient 2902 is any good? Like the accuracy of the device and the durability. Also I live in Canada and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it shipped here, any suggestions?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Is the Ambient 2902 weather station any good?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 02:47:02 PM »
All depends on what you want to spend.

Offline Hockeyjr8

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 04:01:21 PM »
Okay is the 2902 a capable unit though ?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 06:29:40 PM »
No idea, never owned or wanted it. What I'm getting at is that PWS's are pretty much like everything else in life, you generally get what you pay for. Do your homework, I surely did 12+ years ago when shopping for mine, and damn glad I did.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 06:55:02 PM »
It is in the same price range as an Acurite - which does ship to Canada.  Compare the specs.  I've had an Acurite for three years - still fine.  Of course it is nothing compared to my Davis.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 07:04:26 PM »
I'm trying to decide which weather station to buy and I'm just wondering if the ambient 2902 is any good? Like the accuracy of the device and the durability. Also I live in Canada and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it shipped here, any suggestions?

Check out the reviews on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-2902-Professional-Monitoring/dp/B01N5TEHLI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503702096&sr=8-1&keywords=ambient+2902

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline frugal

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 08:37:06 PM »
No idea, never owned or wanted it. What I'm getting at is that PWS's are pretty much like everything else in life, you generally get what you pay for. Do your homework, I surely did 12+ years ago when shopping for mine, and damn glad I did.

It sure looks to me that the OP IS doing his homework.

As far as getting what you pay for, I'm sure everyone of us can give an example of a time when we didn't get better quality though we paid more money for a "better" product.

I've been running inexpensive weather stations and logging the data with home grown systems for about 15 years.  The first two were an Oregon Scientific WMR-918 and a LaCrosse WS-2316.  Both were cheap, but neither failed and both provided useful information for gardening and other purposes. 

I'm ready for an update so, after doing my homework, I just ordered an Ambient ws-2902.  It appears to be a real bargain: Wireless to the console, WiFi to the router, trivial to connect to Wunderground, and capable of logging with weewx on a Raspberry Pi.

I can afford to buy a Davis VP2, but it would by harder to configure for my purposes and I don't really need the faster refresh and better accuracy.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 09:38:56 PM »
I can afford to buy a Davis VP2, but it would by harder to configure for my purposes and I don't really need the faster refresh and better accuracy.
Simple difference between you and me and what's important to each other. You're OK with "what will do", I'm not. Enjoy your update.

Offline DJFaninTN

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 09:50:37 PM »
just got a 2902 myself. so far it seems fine. hopefully going to get it permanently mounted this weekend.

wish the display was a little bigger but I can live with it.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 10:00:21 PM »
Here are the specs (right from mfg.  )

Outdoor data
Temperature range:-40~+60℃
Resolution:0.1℃
Measuring range rel. humidity:10%~99%
Humidity Accuracy : +/- 5%
Rain volume display: 0 – 9999.9mm
Resolution:0.3mm (if rain volume < 1000mm)
         1mm (if rain volume > 1000mm)
Wind speed:0-50m/s (0~100mph)
Wind speed accuracy:<10/s:+/-1m/s,>=10m/s:10%
Accuracy:+/- 1m/s (wind speed< 5m/s)
               +/-10% (wind speed > 5m/s)
Wind direction: 0 to 359 degree
Light: 0-400k Lux
Accuracy : +/-15%
Measuring interval outdoor sensor: 16 sec
Rainfall range:0 to 6000mm
Rainfall accuracy:+/-10%

Indoor data
Indoor temperature range:-10℃--60℃
Measuring range rel. humidity: 10%~99%
Measuring interval indoor sensor:  60 sec
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 01:33:42 PM »

As far as getting what you pay for, I'm sure everyone of us can give an example of a time when we didn't get better quality though we paid more money for a "better" product.

I've been running inexpensive weather stations and logging the data with home grown systems for about 15 years.  The first two were an Oregon Scientific WMR-918 and a LaCrosse WS-2316.  Both were cheap, but neither failed and both provided useful information for gardening and other purposes. 

I'm ready for an update so, after doing my homework, I just ordered an Ambient ws-2902.  It appears to be a real bargain: Wireless to the console, WiFi to the router, trivial to connect to Wunderground, and capable of logging with weewx on a Raspberry Pi.

+1

The question was "Is the Ambient 2902 weather station any good?"  Not "Can I get something better if I spend hundreds or thousands?"  Answers from people who have no experience with the station in question aren't particularly helpful.

(Ooops, I guess that includes me, I have no experience with an Ambient station either.  :lol:  But I do like to hear other's experiences without being derided by people who fancy themselves professional meteorologists because they have bigger, better, and more expensive systems.  For what it's worth, I have an original VP that's 14 years old, but still isn't up to the standards of the weather station elitists who believe you need fan aspiration, no matter what climate you live in or what you use your station for, and that you need the new super-duper SHT-31 sensor, even though the stupid thing doesn't work at -40 or below.  :roll:  But then, I'm not seeing any new stations that do work below -40, a major shortcoming, in my opinion.  Far more important to me than fan aspiration in the middle of a dark arctic night. I guess I could be missing some.)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 03:51:43 PM »

+1

The question was "Is the Ambient 2902 weather station any good?"  Not "Can I get something better if I spend hundreds or thousands?"  Answers from people who have no experience with the station in question aren't particularly helpful.

(Ooops, I guess that includes me, I have no experience with an Ambient station either.  :lol:  But I do like to hear other's experiences without being derided by people who fancy themselves professional meteorologists because they have bigger, better, and more expensive systems.  For what it's worth, I have an original VP that's 14 years old, but still isn't up to the standards of the weather station elitists who believe you need fan aspiration, no matter what climate you live in or what you use your station for, and that you need the new super-duper SHT-31 sensor, even though the stupid thing doesn't work at -40 or below.  :roll:  But then, I'm not seeing any new stations that do work below -40, a major shortcoming, in my opinion.  Far more important to me than fan aspiration in the middle of a dark arctic night. I guess I could be missing some.)
And this reply is simply over the top for helpfulness, right? As usual all your doing is stirring the pot looking for a fight. The OP asked for an opinion, I gave one, too bad it doesn't meet your expectations on content.
It obviously bothers you how some of us like to achieve the best we can with what we've got, get over it. Please do inform us on exactly who you are to dictate to anyone on this board what one should or shouldn't have and how your opinion makes the rest of us mere idiots. Yeah, that's what I thought.
BTW, keep your name calling to yourself.
Elitist out.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 04:30:17 PM »

I will never understand how anyone that is into the weather (who can afford a professional weather station such as a VP2) will not and does not need the fastest latest refresh time and accuracy. Like CW said, it's all about preference but how can you not want to strive for the best if you're in this hobby?!
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline frugal

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 05:23:38 PM »
If the OP is still paying attention, I'll try to be helpful.  The OP's profile says he/she is in Elmsdale, Nova Scotia. Wunderground lists Carmie's Pre-School and Daycare (IELMSDAL2) running an Ambient Weather WS-1001-WiFi (Wireless) since March 21, 2017.  There's a topic comparing the ws-2902 and the ws-1002 here.  The OP might want to stop by Carmie's and ask what they think.

I will never understand how anyone that is into the weather (who can afford a professional weather station such as a VP2) will not and does not need the fastest latest refresh time and accuracy. Like CW said, it's all about preference but how can you not want to strive for the best if you're in this hobby?!
I own a weather station because I use weather information.  Deciding when to plant or harvest vegetables in our garden or deciding whether it's cool enough outside to turn off the air conditioning and open the windows doesn't require 2 ½ second refresh rates. 

For many years, my brother drove expensive sports cars.  I've been driving hybrids since 2001.  He loves to drive fast on curvy rural roads.  For me a car is just transportation.  I am boring. ;)

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 05:54:36 PM »
And this reply is simply over the top for helpfulness, right? As usual all your doing is stirring the pot looking for a fight. The OP asked for an opinion, I gave one, too bad it doesn't meet your expectations on content.
It obviously bothers you how some of us like to achieve the best we can with what we've got, get over it. Please do inform us on exactly who you are to dictate to anyone on this board what one should or shouldn't have and how your opinion makes the rest of us mere idiots. Yeah, that's what I thought.
BTW, keep your name calling to yourself.
Elitist out.
Actually, to be accurate, the OP asked questions concerning the value, durability, accuracy, and even the shipping, of a station, not just an opinion, and your response didn't even begin to answer it.  To refresh your memory the OP asked:
and your response was:
All depends on what you want to spend.
I don't see how that answered the questions asked.

And please show me where I have dictated to anyone what they should buy, or where I've suggested anyone is an idiot, as you have charged me with here.  On the contrary, you are the one who seems to be dictating what everyone who is interested in a weather station should be doing with their money.  I also admitted I didn't have any personal experience with that particular station, but I don't believe that people should be discouraged from investigating a station based on the "opinion" of someone else who hasn't had any experience with the station in question.

Offline Hockeyjr8

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 12:12:44 PM »
Thank you for everyone who had helpful answers. And yes I have done my research I've searched just about every station there is but the thing is here in Canada your Davis that is 400 USD is 700 CAD. My only option to get a weather station at a decent price is to ship one from The United States and even then it is going to cost quite a bit. I was hoping to get something thats a little bit better of a station and anything I've read says Ambient is a decent station. For me though I need to know before I buy ones because even to get the 2902 will cost me 300 CAD. And the reason I'm asking if anyone knows how to get to Canada is because any of the stations that are a little cheaper such as the 2902 will not ship to Canada, actually I ordered one and got refunded because they later told me they could not ship it to Canada. I could buy a Davis here in Canada or get one shipped but they will cost me a fortune. Seems like they do it on purpose and the company only make their more expensive stations available in Canada.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 12:42:59 PM »
The only thing I can suggest if you want an Ambient 290n is to use a freight forwarder or drive over the border to get it from a holding company.  Really depends where you live.  In AB and BC you could use Montana Shipping Outlet or DK Post.

Acurite sells their stations through Amazon.ca for about what you would pay regularly.  Although there are lots of flash sales at Chaney.  You can get a decent Acurite for $150 or less with logging etc.

Since the demise of For the Birds Nature Shop in NS, getting a Davis takes some work.  You could contact Ryan at Scaled Instruments (he's great!!) and have him ship you a Dav Vue for instance.  Cost is $291 USD then you need to convert to CAD (currently 1.25)  Plus shipping, duty etc.   Or binnacle.ca has them on sale for $429 CAD with free shipping (they are Canadian - I've used them.)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 01:15:35 PM »
Hockeyjr8, as Bushman says, look at a US drop off shipping from Ryan at Scalled.  A person not too far from me did that in July and he was quite pleased.  However, the C$ and the Davis cost is still what it is.  I also am very disappointed with the demise of For the Birds, where I bought mine in 2008 and good prices and very good service - Maritime style!!!  and I am off to our Hockeyjrb game...

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Hockeyjr8

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 01:38:05 PM »
Okay thank you, ill have to see the price. Another option is waiting for the new Atlas and hoping its good because the will most likely ship to Canada as the rest of their products do.