Author Topic: New 2902 Owner  (Read 1439 times)

Offline DJFaninTN

New 2902 Owner
« on: August 23, 2017, 05:50:20 PM »
I've been lurking for quiet a while here since I was in the market for a WS. I would have loved a new Davis system but we are in the middle of negations for an in ground pool. I figured it was best to start off slow and then see how much interest I really have over time.

So in the next few days it will be installed. Hopefully it was the right decision on the 2902. A lot of the reviews have been very good on this unit.

Pics to follow once installation is complete.  \:D/

Offline dtidmore

Re: New 2902 Owner
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 09:32:17 AM »
Hopefully it was the right decision on the 2902. A lot of the reviews have been very good on this unit.
 \:D/
Overall the 2902 IS an improvement over the previous generation outdoor unit that AW had been selling.  The anemometer is now a 2 pulse per rev design and due to improvements in the cups, it kicks off at around .2mph which is a big improvement over the previous gen which stalled at around 3 to 4 mph.  The wind vane is better damped so it is less influenced by wind vortices caused by houses, trees, etc at low wind speeds. The rain funnel is now removable so cleaning is no longer a disassembly project.  The sensors are now in black plastic to better melt snow and ice in the winter. 

I can tell you that based on what we have seen, the display unit WILL require calibration entries as while the defaults are not horrible, if accuracy is important to you, then you will be needing to determine the errors and correct them.  The best way is to use CWOP (citizen weather observation program) analysis, but getting setup for CWOP is a chore and requires a Meteobridge (ambient Weather sells them as WeatherBridge) in order to send the data to CWOP.

The only issue I have had with the Osprey unit is inadequate sealing around the solar panel that allowed moisture incursion and resulted in a couple of days of intermittent readings after its first exposure to rain.  I pulled the unit apart, discovered the fact that only a couple of areas on the back side of solar panel showed signs of RTV sealant, so I applied a complete bead around the panel as well as applying RTV to the lap joints where the sensors attach to the arms.  We have had several inches more rain since and no drop outs in reception, so my efforts at sealing it appear to have successful.  Fine Offset and AW are investigating as this appears to be a production quality issue.  If I were putting up a new Osprey I would carefully open it up and seal that solar panel for sure.

Offline DJFaninTN

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 09:55:28 PM »
thanks for those handy tips. hopefully this weekend I will get it permanently mounted.

i am having issues with the display finding my wifi. guess I need to place a call to customer service since following the directions hasn't worked too well. most likely user error.

Offline dtidmore

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 10:17:19 AM »
Are you sure that the phone you are using is set to 2.4Ghz rather than 5Ghz on its WiFi settings.  The display ONLY works on 2.4Ghz.  Also, if you have MAC address filtering setup on your router, you will need to enter the display MAC address (located on sticker near the back bottom of the display) into the router before it will connect.

Offline DJFaninTN

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 07:33:56 PM »
well finally got the wifi issues worked out. ATT had to do something on their end. We have fiber here the house for our ISP.

got it mounted this afternoon. she's 16 feet up in the air and running smoothly. I was going to grab some pics but it's raining.

I really like the mounting hardware I picked up. very easy to adjust your pole and it is very sturdy. the brackets have eight mounting points each! I add five more 2x4's inside the shed in order to give it more support on the shed wall. I mounted the 2902 on one 10' stick of ridgid 1.25".

http://www.antennaservicesinc.com

Offline DJFaninTN

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 07:37:29 PM »
[youtube]https://youtu.be/Uas1t68hW8E[/youtube]