Author Topic: Weewx and Davis VP2+ Wireless Barometer  (Read 807 times)

Offline brett c

Weewx and Davis VP2+ Wireless Barometer
« on: August 10, 2017, 03:11:32 PM »
Hi all,

Long story short, the other day i took down my station to do some much needed cleaning and maintenance of the entire apparatus. However, I noticed that the weather console was still pulling/reporting a pressure reading.

The ISS was in test mode (4th dip switch up, all others down) from start to finish of the device, so data wasn't...or should be getting transmitted. Even more so when the solar and battery were pulled out.

Which narrows it down to this... the Vantage console is taking pressure readings?

While this may seem like a redundant question, if the pressure sensor is on the Vantage2 Console... why isn't it on the actual ISS box outdoors? Would the indoors of a house generally offset the accuracy of pressure readings?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Weewx and Davis VP2+ Wireless Barometer
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 03:54:08 PM »
Which narrows it down to this... the Vantage console is taking pressure readings?
While this may seem like a redundant question, if the pressure sensor is on the Vantage2 Console... why isn't it on the actual ISS box outdoors? Would the indoors of a house generally offset the accuracy of pressure readings?
Yes, pressure is read by the console, as is all PWS's that I'm aware of. As far as accuracy, no real difference, unless your place is literally air tight. Kinda doubt that. ;)

Offline brett c

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 09:08:47 AM »
Yes, pressure is read by the console, as is all PWS's that I'm aware of. As far as accuracy, no real difference, unless your place is literally air tight. Kinda doubt that. ;)

Ah alright. Guess it's something i can live with. Just seems odd to not have it on the ISS panel outdoors. :-)

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 10:01:43 AM »

I imagine that the manufacturers' thinking is that where the location of the sensor (outside vs inside) makes no difference to its readings, which, as you say, is the case here under almost all normal circumstances, it is sensible to keep it in the more protected and stable inside environment.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.