Author Topic: WANTED: Stevenson screen  (Read 1565 times)

Offline NHWF5510

WANTED: Stevenson screen
« on: March 08, 2017, 07:05:27 PM »
Anybody have one (or know someone who does) and is looking to part with it for a reasonable price?  Thank you.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: WANTED: Stevenson screen
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 07:18:24 PM »
If you're merely looking for accuracy and not something to "toy" with, a well aspirated, quality radiation shield will out perform it.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 07:41:24 PM »
If you don't find somebody, I found this new unit.

http://novalynx.com/store/pc/380-605-Large-Instrument-Shelter-98p198.htm
Randy

Offline NHWF5510

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 11:30:36 PM »
I am aware of the NovaLynx unit. But with shipping it's close to a grand. I was hoping to track down someone who knows where one could be found surplus considering how they being phased out in most places. There was one for sale on here for $185 but the seller seems to have vanished.

The reason i am looking for one is for my Min/Max thermometers on a Townsend mount and Belfort Hygrothermograph and Barograph.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 11:50:02 AM »
Another tactic is to look for old louvered closet doors and build your own. We have a local Restore/Habitat For Humanity where I scored several of them for projects at a very nominal price, especially compared to new ones on-line.

I've also been wondering if square or rectangular steel gable vents would be sufficient...

Offline NHWF5510

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »
Another tactic is to look for old louvered closet doors and build your own. We have a local Restore/Habitat For Humanity where I scored several of them for projects at a very nominal price, especially compared to new ones on-line.

I've also been wondering if square or rectangular steel gable vents would be sufficient...

Old shutters was an idea i considered. I'll have to look. My main issue is if they are are not already white and are instead some dark color (black, green, red, etc) then stripping and repainting them is not going to be worth the hassle (sanding shutters is awful) and piling on a bunch of white paint to finally cover it will end up skewing my results anyhow. I did look at brand new shutters and they are priced so high that by the time i buy them and build a screen from scratch i would be more than halfway to the price of a new purpose built model.

I would advise against any type of Stevenson screen made of anything metal. They are all made of wood for good reason. Because wood will not heat up the same way metal does. The thickness of the wood helps act as an insulator. Metal louvers will be made of stamped metal and that will be a fraction of the thickness of wood louvers and will heat up all the way through which will wreak havoc on your temp readings. 

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 05:57:15 PM »
I've looked at studies also. Whitewash is the way to go but new screens don't come with whitewash like they use too.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2008/01/14/a-typical-day-in-the-stevenson-screen-paint-test/
Randy

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 07:10:11 AM »
I know there is a special paint used on the solar telescope (the big "7" on an edge thing) on Kitt Peak in AZ.  It has some long lasting, reflective paint.  Don't know if our friendly Lowes or Menards or Home Depot carries it, though!

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 07:27:48 AM »
Ebay has some without legs listed at $400 before shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/152457751770?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
Randy

Offline NHWF5510

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 08:37:36 AM »

I did see those but the description leaves more questions than answers. Says they have a small and a large but make no mention of what size they are offering. No dimensions listed. Says they are made "Best quality Indian wood" Which is???. No mention of louvers on the back. I messaged them weeks ago and got no response. Pretty hefty price to gamble on.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 10:18:08 AM »

I did see those but the description leaves more questions than answers. Says they have a small and a large but make no mention of what size they are offering. No dimensions listed. Says they are made "Best quality Indian wood" Which is???. No mention of louvers on the back. I messaged them weeks ago and got no response. Pretty hefty price to gamble on.

Noticed that too. I tried to figure out, you can always ask for exact size. Using paypal I would think its safe.
Randy

anything